Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Issues happen. It's how they are handled that is important. Glad you received a quick response and a plan by the factory to do repairs.

Thor has been very responsive for anything I've needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The one reason I have stuck with Thor has been there customer service. I expect there to be problems and I expect the manufacturer to address them (even if the dealer can't or won't).

Thor's customer service was great and they took good care of me with my last coach so that is why I bought another one. So far, they have taken care of me again with this coach.

I'm looking at the bright side..... the guys in Wakarusa will fix it better than it came off the factory.... and probably better than some coaches from some other manufacturers.

TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #19782
You have my sympathy. I bought a 2021 SV34, and am trading it this weekend after 4 weeks ownership. I'll lose at lease $35,000. Like you said the Ford F-550 Truck is awesome. In my opinion, the rest is sub-par. Outside "looks" rate a 9, but inside construction and overall quality (in my opinion) is a 2 or 3. The factory was unresponsive to my many complaints about design issues. Consider the fact that the cab-over has no insulation, and it makes a great solar-oven. Closing the slide doesn't help, since the slide isn't insulated and its painted black. My coach would not cool below 82 degrees in the Florida sun. I paid the dealer almost $1000 to exchange the forward A/C unit from a 13.5 kbtu to a 15. That helped very little. When the water heater started leaking, I found there was NO WAY to assess all the plumbing and electrical under the kitchen cabinet. I had to take out the trash can, and use my fist to knock out the thin paneling behind the compartment so I could access the cut off valves. That's absurd, and dangerous. The ride up front in the Ford is great, but the house whistles, creaks and rattles on the highway. I found it impossible to take a nap when someone else was driving. I'm ashamed I didn't read these threads before I purchased. I'll never buy another Thor product.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by usjetjock View Post
You have my sympathy. I bought a 2021 SV34, and am trading it this weekend after 4 weeks ownership. I'll lose at lease $35,000. Like you said the Ford F-550 Truck is awesome. In my opinion, the rest is sub-par. Outside "looks" rate a 9, but inside construction and overall quality (in my opinion) is a 2 or 3. The factory was unresponsive to my many complaints about design issues. Consider the fact that the cab-over has no insulation, and it makes a great solar-oven. Closing the slide doesn't help, since the slide isn't insulated and its painted black. My coach would not cool below 82 degrees in the Florida sun. I paid the dealer almost $1000 to exchange the forward A/C unit from a 13.5 kbtu to a 15. That helped very little. When the water heater started leaking, I found there was NO WAY to assess all the plumbing and electrical under the kitchen cabinet. I had to take out the trash can, and use my fist to knock out the thin paneling behind the compartment so I could access the cut off valves. That's absurd, and dangerous. The ride up front in the Ford is great, but the house whistles, creaks and rattles on the highway. I found it impossible to take a nap when someone else was driving. I'm ashamed I didn't read these threads before I purchased. I'll never buy another Thor product.

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. What will you buying now?

I do have a few things that won't help you now but might help others.

1) Cooling - I live in FL but spend the hot months in PA so I do understand FL heat and humidity. That being said we had several string of 90's over the pas couple weeks. We camped last week in the 90's. Now we did have some shade but here is what I have done to help with cooling:

- You are right that you can feel the heat in the cab-over area. We close the curtain of the cab-over and it does help keep the heat in the cab-over and not radiating into the coach. Keeping the curtain closed does help more than you would think.

- There is a thread on here about about how to improve A/C performance. This is a challenge with most coaches because they are not insulated well and the A/C units are far from efficient. I climbed on the roof and I insulated the evaporator box on both the units. I also made sure the divider between the exhaust and intake was properly centered and sealed. The front A/C unit was ok but the bedroom A/C unit was not centered so cold air was getting sucking into the return. I used duct tape to seal up the divider on both units. This did help improve the performance a bit.

- I purchased WeatherTech window shades for the cab. With their reflectivity ability it makes a huge difference keeping the sun from coming into the cab and it helps greatly. It also makes things very dark at night.

- I also recently purchased Camco vent insulators for the three vents to help seal them up from roof heat and air loss.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

After all of that I was able to keep the coach in the mid to upper 70's with the blinds down. During the day the air coming out of the A/C was in the 50's and at night in the upper 40's.

Just be careful with your expectations. I don't know how much time you spend camping in the south in the summer time but there are dozens of posts on here about people trying to came in 90 - 105 degree temps and not being able to keep their coaches cool.

This is why we try to camp in the north in the summer months and then in the south in the cooler months.

2) Water Heater Access - My last coach (a 2018 Outlaw 29H) had the same design. You probably didn't have to break the paneling behind the garbage can.There are a few screws that hold in the shelf and paneling that hold the garbage can in place. I had to remove that area to change the water filter on the Outlaw. I have not had to access the back of my hot water tank but I would bet the house the Magnitude is the exact same way just by looking at it.

- There is a vented access panel under the stove at the floor. It is held on by 4 screws but I removed the screws and installed hinges so i can easily access that area. Not sure why they didn't do that at the factory because the solid access panel next to it to get to the back of the furnace has hinges.

- While they could do better, accessing all of the plumbing and electrical is difficult with most coaches.

3) Noise - It is tough in general to have the house portion totally quiet when traveling with any coach; especially when you factor in dishes, glasses, etc. I would give ours a 7 out of 10 for being quiet. Although my rear suspension just developed a loud squeak recently when moving around the coach without the leveler s down after it had been very quiet. I have been looking for it to see if I can lubricate what is causing the noise.

We looked at several other Super C's including Entegra, Renegade, Jayco and Dynamax. We settled on Thor because we felt like it gave us the most bang for the buck. My wife wanted an outdoor kitchen and surprisingly the Magnitude was the only Super C we looked at that had one. The floor plan works very well for us and we like the way it looks and drives.

That being said.... if I was going to make a switch, I would go with the Dynamax Force HD 34KD. Out of all the Super C's we looked at we felt the quality, fit and finish and components used were the best out of all the other Super C's we looked at last year.

We went through a bunch of Super C's at North Trail RV in Fort Myers. Funny thing is they also sold Thor but no longer sold Thor Super C's because they had so many problems with them that they felt Thor was not addressing. Maybe I should have taken that comment more seriously but again... the Dynamax was going to be another $65 - $85K more than what we ended up spending on the Magnitude.

Let us know what you go with..... and better luck with the new one!
Old 07-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #24

THOR #19782
Bought a new Newmar Dutch Star Class A Model 4081. Quality-wise its like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. Yes it was three times the money almost.

The issue is that Thor could spend a little more time and and few more dollars and have a quality product, but I don’t think they care since business is booming. There were so many petty issues, like the instruction manual …really? Is it generic for every product? Lots of warning labels though on every page
though, written by the lawyers,.

I’m an engineer, but pity the poor family who isn’t mechanical or handy with tools! The water leak on the heater could have ruined the whole trip if I hadn’t physically knocked out the panel underneath to have access. The dealer’s service department had no idea, in fact they re-sealed the roof, and off we drove to the Smokey Mountains and discovered we were in the “leaking lizzy”, with water running all through the coach!

I could go on an on, but the bottom line is that Thor has some serious issues with the Magnitude. They could fix it all with some design changes and quality control.

USJETJOCK
Old 07-26-2020, 12:11 AM   #25

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
As I was washing today, and finally having a little time to start looking ours over closely, I'm too becoming a bit disheartened by the whole thing. Of course I know for the price point it is what it is, but am quickly loosing faith that it will hold together long term.

I found a piece of "residue" under the vinyl flooring, so it's bubbling up in that spot, which I have no idea how one would fix, the cabinets are starting to come apart after 10K miles, and screws are coming loose all over the place that won't re-tighten.

Also put her up on the jacks today to see what kind of "flex" I get, and noticed a screw under the seam seal that's trying to escape. Then while up there looking, found that the seam has no sealant on the back side (back of what picture shows), which is exactly where the A/C normally drains off the roof, so that is a big concern. Also, rubber membrane for the big slide is very poorly applied and has gaps all along it that are not water tight.

Was going to try and make this unit work for us, but thinking it might be better to take the beating trading/selling and move on.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...icture1285.jpg

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...icture1284.jpg
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:10 AM   #26

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
THOR #14643
Cab over repair

Took a day and a few supplies.
The owners were very happy with it aside from the separation issue.
In one picture you can see the one screw left holding it down. All the rest fell out when I removed the headliner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	980560CC-21B4-4794-A729-6ADC08A06332.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	25202   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A0203B8-6C35-4217-8FE1-9231D99AB03C.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	25203  

Click image for larger version

Name:	96CF0F84-C5A5-4B57-8238-7ABC9870D612.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	25204   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1E150E8-68C9-4BB6-8CC3-3F89A122EBE9.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	25205  

Old 07-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #27

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
As I was washing today, and finally having a little time to start looking ours over closely, I'm too becoming a bit disheartened by the whole thing. Of course I know for the price point it is what it is, but am quickly loosing faith that it will hold together long term.

I found a piece of "residue" under the vinyl flooring, so it's bubbling up in that spot, which I have no idea how one would fix, the cabinets are starting to come apart after 10K miles, and screws are coming loose all over the place that won't re-tighten.

Also put her up on the jacks today to see what kind of "flex" I get, and noticed a screw under the seam seal that's trying to escape. Then while up there looking, found that the seam has no sealant on the back side (back of what picture shows), which is exactly where the A/C normally drains off the roof, so that is a big concern. Also, rubber membrane for the big slide is very poorly applied and has gaps all along it that are not water tight.

Was going to try and make this unit work for us, but thinking it might be better to take the beating trading/selling and move on.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...icture1285.jpg

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...icture1284.jpg
The driver's side of the cap is where I have the separation issue but on the passenger side there is a screw head trying to push through the molding like the one in your picture.

I've only got just under 7000 miles on mine. I have had a laundry list of issues... but most where minor that I could fix myself or Thor sent me parts s I could do the work myself.

It is the structural issues that are a concern. I also am disappointed to hear about your cabinets coming apart. That is just uncalled for.

The guys that assemble these coaches have their screw guns set at max power and they just over tighten every screw. I found a bunch on my last coach and this one as well.

I just put a set of mud flaps on this weekend and was attaching them to the exiting plastic flaps they have protecting the bins behind the rear wheels. They have a metal strip across the center of the plastic flap and then they have it attached to the sheet metal on the inner wall to keep them from flapping around. Of course one side was missing the screws because they over tightened the screws and stripped the sheet metal.

The vertical weather strip on the slide wall was coming off last year and I had them fix it. Now I just noticed it is again. It is just held on with adhesive. I am going to try to clean the old adhesive and fix it myself.

It is disheartening. We really do like the coach. There are only a few options and none great. The choices are.......

- Try to get Thor to fix as much as possible while it is under warranty. I only have a little more than 2 months of warranty left but my issues are documented and I will be going to Wakarusa. Of course the big questions is what will go wrong after the warranty.

- Once the warranty has expired take it to an RV speciality and restoration shop and pay them to fix everything right as things fail. That could add up in terms of money and lost time using the coach.

- Take a hit and trade it in.... and spend another $75K - $150K on a better built coach.

- Just live with it.

I'm trying not to make any emotional decisions at the moment. I may write a very politically correct letter to Thor executive management outlining all of the issues of my coach and similar issues being reported by other owners as well as the amount of time I have lost using the coach and then ask for a warranty extension. This is my second new Thor coach so if they want to keep me as ae t customer they can decide to do something or not in terms of customer service.

The challenge is you can spend another $100K (or more) on another make and model and still have more than just minor issues. If the coach works for us, I wonder if it would be better and cheaper in the long run to just get things fixed right as they come up.

Someone told me about this place about 2 hours from us in Erie, PA that does great RV work. They do complete restorations from interior to exterior. I wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run to let an RV expert fix things right.

RV RESTORATION AND UPGRADES - Bonnell's Truck and RV

I don't know. I know I don't have the answers at the moment. I have been looking Dynamax listings tonight for a bit. They do seem like a very quality coach. I just hate to take to take a hit and pay another $100K plus I have money into this coach with a bunch of upgrades as well.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:43 AM   #28

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerne RV View Post
Took a day and a few supplies.
The owners were very happy with it aside from the separation issue.
In one picture you can see the one screw left holding it down. All the rest fell out when I removed the headliner.
That is my concern with my 2020 Magnitude now that I see some flexing and movement of the cap from then molding.

Can I ask you a question since you do these types of repairs?

When you have a significant structural issue like the one you showed here, how confident are you that it can be fixed so that it does not happen again?

Is it just a matter of poor construction? Poor design? Cheap materials?

I assume that if Thor repairs this at their Factory Service Center, it will be done properly and look good. My question is whether it will last for several years and more than 25,000 miles without water leaks or separation occurring again.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #29

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I just put a set of mud flaps on this weekend and was attaching them to the exiting plastic flaps they have protecting the bins behind the rear wheels. They have a metal strip across the center of the plastic flap and then they have it attached to the sheet metal on the inner wall to keep them from flapping around. Of course one side was missing the screws because they over tightened the screws and stripped the sheet metal.

It is disheartening. We really do like the coach. There are only a few options and none great. The choices are.......

Yep...found the same metal strip screws stripped/missing on mine last week on our return trip

As I look at it sitting in the driveway this evening, all cleaned up and sitting tall, it's hard to think about parting with it and the associated $50K I'll lose in just a year. It's a really good looking machine, and there's very little I dislike about it from a design/functionality standpoint, but like you wonder...how long will it last before it lives in the shop, eating even more money just putting it back together, or worse yet, trying to solve deep structural issues?
Old 07-26-2020, 02:35 AM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Would the issue be considered structural and what is Thor's structural warranty these days?

As many of you folks as there are having the problem you might consider notifying the NHTSA in hopes of initiating a recall. Structural issues should get someone's attention real quick and it could possibly cover you if there are further problems down the road.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:36 AM   #31

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Would the issue be considered structural and what is Thor's structural warranty these days?

They recently bumped their "structural" warranty to 10 years and 5 years on the lamination for 2021 models, but our 2020's are 2 years or 15k miles on the structure (which is simply the aluminum framework), and not a darn thing on the exterior walls past the 1 year. From some of the issues I'm seeing, they will get another list from me come Monday morning identifying everything I can find before mine runs out next month. I was told they fixed the screws falling out of mounts for the roof ladder on mine, but they're all falling out again.

I could feasibly fix a lot of the issues with it, but would have to pull half of the house apart and it would add some weight, which with the low CCC I don't want to do.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #32

THOR #12751
I think an argument could be made that the cap attachment point to the house is structural and should be part of that warranty. That is all aluminum attachment points.

I'm with you. When it is cleaned up it is a really good looking machine. The floor plan really meets our needs. We really like the coach.

I may write a letter and FedEx it to the CEO of Thor with a list of the issues fixed by the dealer and myself and that my confidence in the longevity of a $200K machine is not what it should be. I then would request they extend my factory warranty by one more year.

Don't know.... kicking around the options.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #33

THOR #19782
Enough is Enough

As a consumer, I know there is a body of law referred to as "Merchantability" which means basically "suitability for intended purpose". Perhaps it's time for owners to group together on this and sue Thor?
Old 07-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #34

THOR #19782
I talked to Thor customer service about some of these issues. He refused to give me contact information of any of Thor's officers. So I told him I would find the CEO's address, and send a Fed Ex. The rep said, and I quote, "he will not read it, and the letter will just be passed back down to me" So ...good luck!
Old 07-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #35

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My latest coach is a Newmar Bay Star Sport. It’s Newmar’s entry level coach and we paid $94k for a new 2019 last November. It’s had a few new bugs and one or two design quirks but the quality and access is much better than other coaches I’ve owned (Thor, Winnebago and Fleetwood). It’s also much quieter on the road. It’s an adventure!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #36

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My latest coach is a Newmar Bay Star Sport. It’s Newmar’s entry level coach and we paid $94k for a new 2019 last November. It’s had a few new bugs and one or two design quirks but the quality and access is much better than other coaches I’ve owned (Thor, Winnebago and Fleetwood). It’s also much quieter on the road. It’s an adventure!

Looking pretty hard a Newmar...specifically their New Aire class A's. Out the door it will be twice what I paid for this one, and certain it will have its own list of issues, but they seem to at least try to build in some quality for the long-haul.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:38 AM   #37

THOR #17202
Hey Judge,

Did they offer to pay for your gas and lodging or did you have to ask? I have to drive my rig from Florida to Wakarusa in September for repairs. Lazyday Tampa has been unsuccessful in all of their repair attempts.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:05 AM   #38

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Wow, that is concerning. In 2018 I bought a 2017 with 3800 miles on it. It had a slight amount of water damage on the inside in the overhead above the drivers seat. Being that the cap is one piece fiberglass I couldn’t see where the water could have possibly come in. Now I know! It hasn’t leaked since so I guess it was repaired, but I will double check where you’re talking about. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #39

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdpeteMH View Post
Hey Judge,

Did they offer to pay for your gas and lodging or did you have to ask? I have to drive my rig from Florida to Wakarusa in September for repairs. Lazyday Tampa has been unsuccessful in all of their repair attempts.

Thor offered to pay my gas and lodging. I did not have to ask them to do it.

If they don’t offer, I would ask.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #40
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Judge,

What's the status on your issue?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote