Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2021, 12:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
THOR #21822
Question 2021 Omni XG32 metal brackets fell off

Hi- new to the forum so hope this get to someone who can help. After my first trip (1,200 mi) we returned home an parked the coach in the driveway. Next morning my wife found a metal piece laying in the driveway next to a broken screw. We found a second one at the storage facility which must have fall off before I pulled it off the lot. I have no idea what they are for or where they were attached originally. I crawled around under the coach but no luck.

Best I can tell there are only two brackets. Each appeared to only have one screw despite the two holes. Last resort is to take to a dealer, but trying to avoid that as they are backed up. Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iron pieces from RV.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	28050  

Old 01-14-2021, 12:59 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum...

... and a picture of the mystery brackets would help.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #3

THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh67_idaho View Post
Hi- new to the forum so hope this get to someone who can help. After my first trip (1,200 mi) we returned home an parked the coach in the driveway. Next morning my wife found a metal piece laying in the driveway next to a broken screw. We found a second one at the storage facility which must have fall off before I pulled it off the lot. I have no idea what they are for or where they were attached originally. I crawled around under the coach but no luck.

Best I can tell there are only two brackets. Each appeared to only have one screw despite the two holes. Last resort is to take to a dealer, but trying to avoid that as they are backed up. Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.
mearsures 14in longest edge and 1.5in width
Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Slide guides?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 AM   #5

THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Slide guides?
Based on the location where they were found I believe they dropped from somewhere between the steps/door and the cab on the passenger side, so I guess the living room slide out is possibility though it was on the opposite side. Appreciate suggestion.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #6

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
So weird, on our first trip this past spring something fell off the XG32 on the highway. Sounded like something that would look like that. Pulled over and went through everything and could never figure out what it was or where it came from.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:14 AM   #7

THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
So weird, on our first trip this past spring something fell off the XG32 on the highway. Sounded like something that would look like that. Pulled over and went through everything and could never figure out what it was or where it came from.
Yes, very strange. My friend and I were wondering if it is some kind of brace for shipping purposes and should have been removed before it left the factory but that is probably a stretch. Sounds like it didn't cause you any other issues so that's good. thanks for the reply.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:22 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
RVs are driven: not shipped. Those parts belong on the rig.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My suggestion is to email Thor and attach a photo and ask them what they are and where they are supposed to go. You can call them first to get a good email address to send the pics.

Chances are your dealer won't know enough about the rig to tell you what those brackets are.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:37 AM   #10

THOR #19481
Good call, please let us know what they say of you do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My suggestion is to email Thor and attach a photo and ask them what they are and where they are supposed to go. You can call them first to get a good email address to send the pics.

Chances are your dealer won't know enough about the rig to tell you what those brackets are.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:14 AM   #11

THOR #21822
Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:16 AM   #12

THOR #21822
Thanks to all who chimed in. I'm going to contact Thor tomorrow as recommended. I will update the thread once I have an answer/fix.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have an SV34 and have been all over the coach. At first I wasn't sure and then it hit me. I'm in FL and my coach is in PA so I can't confirm but I am 99.9% sure I know what they are.

They are supports for the cab running boards. There is one on each side under the fiberglass running boards around the center of the running boards.

When I was going around the under side of the coach about a year ago, I saw this support on the passenger side. One bolt was broen off and the other loose and the bracket just dangling and ready to fall off.

I am not surprised you only found one bolt. The guys that build these coaches are notorious for using screw guns at max torque such that more than half the fasteners on these coaches have been over tightened to the point the hole gets stripped or the screw becomes fatigued.

On the drivers side I found one screw missing buit the other screw was still tight.

If you crawl under the running boards, you should see the two holes in the chassis frame where the holes line up with these brackets. I recommend getting some grade 5 or 8 bolts and drilling the hole out in the frame if you have to and using nuts and lockwashers instead of the self tapiing screws they used.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If the Judge says it: I'd bet on it.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #15

THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have an SV34 and have been all over the coach. At first I wasn't sure and then it hit me. I'm in FL and my coach is in PA so I can't confirm but I am 99.9% sure I know what they are.

They are supports for the cab running boards. There is one on each side under the fiberglass running boards around the center of the running boards.

When I was going around the under side of the coach about a year ago, I saw this support on the passenger side. One bolt was broen off and the other loose and the bracket just dangling and ready to fall off.

I am not surprised you only found one bolt. The guys that build these coaches are notorious for using screw guns at max torque such that more than half the fasteners on these coaches have been over tightened to the point the hole gets stripped or the screw becomes fatigued.

On the drivers side I found one screw missing buit the other screw was still tight.

If you crawl under the running boards, you should see the two holes in the chassis frame where the holes line up with these brackets. I recommend getting some grade 5 or 8 bolts and drilling the hole out in the frame if you have to and using nuts and lockwashers instead of the self tapiing screws they used.
Thank you. I really appreciate the information and guidance. I will check it out today. Hope you're enjoying some nice weather in FL.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #16

THOR #21822
Thumbs up

Well, Judge, you were spot on. I see two on each running board. The ones that "failed" were in the same position on either side. There were positioned at the rear, wider section of the running boards. Your suggestion on the fix makes sense. Many thanks for pointing me to the right spot.

For anyone interested, I've attached a picture of what the other backer looks like that is still in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Running board bracket.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	28065  
Old 01-16-2021, 02:05 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad that the problem has been found,and is being solved.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:57 AM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
I've been dreaming lately of selling our house and most possessions, trading our Windsport toward a Magnitude or Omni and retiring on the road.

Parts falling off a new rig isn't exactly boosting my confidence in this dream....
Old 01-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #19

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
RVs are driven: not shipped. Those parts belong on the rig.
MH's are driven not shipped. My RV was towed.

This from the NEC

Part 1. Article 551 defines "recreational vehicle" as a vehicle-type unit used as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use. The four basic entities are travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, and motor home [551.2].
Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #20

THOR #19481
Got a chance today to crawl under my XG32 and low an behold those brackets are missing. I did find where they were screwed on with broken screws. Thanks for everyone's input on this subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh67_idaho View Post
Well, Judge, you were spot on. I see two on each running board. The ones that "failed" were in the same position on either side. There were positioned at the rear, wider section of the running boards. Your suggestion on the fix makes sense. Many thanks for pointing me to the right spot.

For anyone interested, I've attached a picture of what the other backer looks like that is still in place.

Tags
super c undercarriage, troubleshooting