Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
BeeRad56 certainly received great feedback regarding the Thor Omni/Magnitude from very experienced owners. For the record, we are new owners of an SV34, we knew what we were getting into by lurking on this forum. Yes, we have had issues with our coach and were able to deal with them with lots of help from this forum, we are still very happy with our “cottage on wheels”, it works for us.

Side Note:
I truly enjoyed the “hard work, sense of pride” side discussion as it relates to manufacturing and life in general.

I'm in the auto recovery and auto auction industry where hard work and sense of pride is the only way to the top. You don’t get hired in as mid-level management or the General Manger, you start at the bottom by driving cars outside in the weather, shoveling snow or dealing with extreme temps with minimal pay. Then you graduate to writing condition reports in the same weather conditions with the same minimal pay, then supervisor with more minimal pay, then manager and eventually you can become the General Manger.

The top dog General Manger makes six figures and big bonuses based on how successful the operation is and how the workforce performs their duties. The top dog started driving cars and writing condition reports… The lazy, late to work complainers are culled out very early and very quickly and replaced with the next in line.
It’s one of the few industries left where you don’t need an education to become the top dog. You demonstrate good hard work from day one, you show up every day, when you are done with your tasks you march over to your boss and ask what else needs to be done until her or she says you can go home. You stand out as a dedicated hard worker.
Success can be very simple really.

Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
The top dog General Manger makes six figures and big bonuses based on how successful the operation is and how the workforce performs their duties. The top dog started driving cars and writing condition reports… The lazy, late to work complainers are culled out very early and very quickly and replaced with the next in line.
It’s one of the few industries left where you don’t need an education to become the top dog. You demonstrate good hard work from day one, you show up every day, when you are done with your tasks you march over to your boss and ask what else needs to be done until her or she says you can go home. You stand out as a dedicated hard worker.
Success can be very simple really.
Amen!!!
Old 10-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #23

Brand: Jayco
State: Colorado
THOR #25187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Some electric/thermostat pipe wrap
A 4x4 conversion(easily done by a great shop in slc).
Gets you everything but the diesel which requires MEGA miles to break even on that fantastic upfront cost. Few rv's ever accumulate enough miles.
And
You get to keep the rv You have and love.

I've yet to use my 4x4 set-up for Any reason.
I don't know that I've read of others using theirs for any serious reason.

Want is powerful.
Alternative is practical.

$20,000 upgrade cost for what you love.
$220,000 upgrade cost for what you doubt.
Great input, thank you!
Old 10-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #24

THOR #25187
Thank You

Many thanks to all that posted to my thread. Your input has been very helpful and greatly appreciated!

My wife and I have decided we really want an XG32 for many reasons, and are going to continue our pursuit of a 2022, albeit with eyes wide open thanks to you all!

Thanks again, and safe travels.
Brad
Old 10-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #25

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRAD56 View Post
Many thanks to all that posted to my thread. Your input has been very helpful and greatly appreciated!

My wife and I have decided we really want an XG32 for many reasons, and are going to continue our pursuit of a 2022, albeit with eyes wide open thanks to you all!

Thanks again, and safe travels.
Brad
The XG32 has many nice usable features and some deficiencies as does every RV regardless of cost. Eyes wide ope and you'll enjoy it. I just got mine back from the Ford store for the steering issue and lost a second slide corner trim piece and a third hanging by a literal thread. Before you leave the dealership, check carefully the corner trim pieces for security. They are only attached with some double sided tape in the middle of them. Make 3 for me, 5 more to go and one bad thing besides the hassle, they are painted.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #26
MCG

State: Utah
THOR #17782
I have a 2021 XG32 and only about 5,000 miles on it. The front cap has come loose. Same QC problems. Most I've fixed myself. Haven't take the rig in to my Thor dealer yet but will soon. I like the look and love the chassis but knowing what I know now I'd look around a little more. Possibly spend a little more with a manufacture with better quality control reviews. If there are any.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #27
UAV

Model: 2020 Magnitude XG32
THOR #16507
I have often heard that it takes three weeks to completely build a Magnitude/Omni.

It takes three weeks just to paint a Dynamax.

Not sure about Renegade.

There is your answer to the Thor vs someone else question.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #28

THOR #22586
Quote:
Hello All,

My wife and I have located a new 2022 Omni XG in Sacramento that checks all the boxes. We struck a deal and are working through financial details now.

So are these quality issues isolated cases, result of abuse, or consistent design and/QC issues with Thor?

Someone please talk me off the ledge!

Thanks - Brad in Colorado
If you haven't and are still around here, take a look and read the whole thread at kwplot front cap rebuild and then decide if this is where you want to put you hard earned $$$$$$. If you have since and permanently departed the thor forums, I don't blame you. Knowledge is power and that knowledge gives you the power to save your money and not sink it into the lowest quality. If yugo made RVs, this is what you'd expect.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #29

THOR #25187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
If you haven't and are still around here, take a look and read the whole thread at kwplot front cap rebuild and then decide if this is where you want to put you hard earned $$$$$$. If you have since and permanently departed the thor forums, I don't blame you. Knowledge is power and that knowledge gives you the power to save your money and not sink it into the lowest quality. If yugo made RVs, this is what you'd expect.
We haven't been able to close the deal yet and maybe for good reason. I'll definitely check out that thread. We love the XG32 floor plan and the F550 is a great chassis, but this front cap issue is definitely a serious concern.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #30

THOR #22586
Quote:
We haven't been able to close the deal yet and maybe for good reason. I'll definitely check out that thread. We love the XG32 floor plan and the F550 is a great chassis, but this front cap issue is definitely a serious concern.
Yes the Ford chassis is great and thor does a nice interior design, too bad their attention to detail of structural isn't up to par. The cost cutting on the front cap is just one substandard build issue. I'm kicking myself in the butt for buying it and my saving grace may be most RV potential buyers won't be on this forum and I'll let them believe thor advertising BS. Harsh criticism but well deserved.

EDIT I'm sure there are some who are tired of my rants and wish I'd just shut up and be gone. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it for a while at least but also feel that I'd be remiss by not answering a question when someone asks especially since I do know some answers. If someone asks an Airstream question I can't/won't answer that because I've never had one and don't have any knowledge of them except they cost a bunch. Judge had the factory fix his front cap but based on what kwplot has posted on his home repair, judge got a bandaid fix. Judge did have a good repair on the slide which likely/possibly us XG32 owner's may not have to face since we don't have the FWS. But same slide mechanism, just less weight and length to deal with. Have a good weekend.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #31

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Yes the Ford chassis is great and thor does a nice interior design, too bad their attention to detail of structural isn't up to par. The cost cutting on the front cap is just one substandard build issue. I'm kicking myself in the butt for buying it and my saving grace may be most RV potential buyers won't be on this forum and I'll let them believe thor advertising BS. Harsh criticism but well deserved.

EDIT I'm sure there are some who are tired of my rants and wish I'd just shut up and be gone. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it for a while at least but also feel that I'd be remiss by not answering a question when someone asks especially since I do know some answers. If someone asks an Airstream question I can't/won't answer that because I've never had one and don't have any knowledge of them except they cost a bunch. Judge had the factory fix his front cap but based on what kwplot has posted on his home repair, judge got a bandaid fix. Judge did have a good repair on the slide which likely/possibly us XG32 owner's may not have to face since we don't have the FWS. But same slide mechanism, just less weight and length to deal with. Have a good weekend.
Chunker, you keep right on ranting, you have the right to voice your opinion and observations on Thor.
The F550 chassis is a great chassis no issues there. Thors design and floor plans are very good, Thor fails miserably on engineering and assembly of their RV's. Thor also fails miserably at standing behind their product.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #32

THOR #4243
Quote:
It is a HUGE ISSUE. It's not if your XG32 you're looking at will have the same issue, it is when will it show up and it will, if you buy this coach you will have to except the front cap will fail and it will fail pretty quick. Then you have 2 options, let Thor fix it or dive in and do it yourself. It's not a very difficult job to tackle yourself more time consuming than anything else, but it's a job we as owners should not have to be doing.
I am willing to bet that every Thor omni/magnitude on the road has this structural issue and the previous line of Thor super c have it also.
Pick any Thor dealership in the country and pick any new Super C on their lot and pull the molding you will find broken screws and a front cap that is already failing just from the delivery miles put on it.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #33

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Chunker, you keep right on ranting, you have the right to voice your opinion and observations on Thor.
The F550 chassis is a great chassis no issues there. Thors design and floor plans are very good, Thor fails miserably on engineering and assembly of their RV's. Thor also fails miserably at standing behind their product.
I have mixed feeling on part of that. You see frequent comments and compliment of thor customer service providing parts, repair offers, etc. but I think they are overwhelmed by the sorry factory performances. I have had communications with Thor CS and an offer they would send a part but when I asked for an update on it was told the part, a HDMI wireless splitter, it's out of stock. Amazon lists several in stock and available but for thor, out of stock.

I have asked if they would send other parts and let me install, and the answer is, "take it to an authorized repair facility" i.e. dealer. Having me install would save thor reimbursing a service center for the labor costs. They did agree to cover the cost of the exhaust repair, see "exhaust rubbing body" post, if I went ahead and paid for it myself out of pocket first. I did and they report 6-8 weeks to get reimbursed.

Back to structural warranty, if a body section separating and falling off isn't considered structural, what is?
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #34

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Gosh,
I love listening to you guys.
Makes me smile, keep up the pressure.
BeeRad,
Are you buying it from demartinis?
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #35

THOR #25187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Gosh,
I love listening to you guys.
Makes me smile, keep up the pressure.
BeeRad,
Are you buying it from demartinis?
Terry
Hi Terry,

Yes, Demartini has the one we want. The exterior is one of their proprietery paint schemes which we really like. As opposed to the 3 factory standard paint schemes, which we don't particullary care for.

Brad
Old 11-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
I have herd good things about them.
Just wanted to know what you think about them
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #37

State: Maryland
THOR #25122
Its definitely a personal work ethic issue. I used to be a blue collar worker and took pride in my work since a kid fixing truck radiators. Nowadays they make 3X the amount of money, have better tools, and still manage to miss driving screws in correctly with a dam power drill. They leave all kinds of trash behind the walls in new XG32 and I've already decided I would do a better job fixing things that somehow a dealer seems to need 6 months to do. And still may do it wrong! I told Thor (and all the companies they've absorbed) to send employees on a filed trip to the Ford factory. Its a case where if it was assembled in China it would be a sweet truck. Folks just need to step up their game and stop self rewarding for bad work. If it was your dentist/doctor/mechanic who would you blame?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #38

State: Maryland
THOR #25122
Oh yeah not to mention while trying to find where the coax cables get routed I discover my propane tank mounting bolts where just jingling after a year of use.. and one had completely fallen out! My tank was loose and I've been over Delaware and Bay Bridge a couple times. So of course I had to tighten that up. Who know what dealer or the Elkhart folks would have done. Now just need find replacement for the one missing. After all the stuff I've fixed I really just need 1 think to be set: I have the roof diagram from Thor (Magnitude XG32) and was wondering how hard (is it or the secret) to fishing a coax cable back to the bedroom TV and to the cabinet above the theatre seats where I would like receivers. The diagram shows "satellite backer"as a reinforced area I guess to mount a dish and framing but I cannot tell where voids are after a hole would be drilled. Advice just run through with fine tooth comb. I would not have paid $200K $150K was the price I paid before taxes. My note is cheaper than the dang 4 door pickup I wanted but cost over $80k (and have 7 yrs to pay off)
Old 11-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #39

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezrvz View Post
Oh yeah not to mention while trying to find where the coax cables get routed I discover my propane tank mounting bolts where just jingling after a year of use.. and one had completely fallen out! My tank was loose and I've been over Delaware and Bay Bridge a couple times. So of course I had to tighten that up. Who know what dealer or the Elkhart folks would have done. Now just need find replacement for the one missing. After all the stuff I've fixed I really just need 1 think to be set: I have the roof diagram from Thor (Magnitude XG32) and was wondering how hard (is it or the secret) to fishing a coax cable back to the bedroom TV and to the cabinet above the theatre seats where I would like receivers. The diagram shows "satellite backer"as a reinforced area I guess to mount a dish and framing but I cannot tell where voids are after a hole would be drilled. Advice just run through with fine tooth comb. I would not have paid $200K $150K was the price I paid before taxes. My note is cheaper than the dang 4 door pickup I wanted but cost over $80k (and have 7 yrs to pay off)
Are you trying to find the routing of the TV coax or HDMI? I have a bad HDMI cable that the factory installed. Main TV. End torn off and the cable end stuffed up in the window valance so out of sight, out of mind. Thor sent me a HDMI wireless splitter as a solution. Thor claimed they have no wiring schematics for the HDMI cables so I suspect the same for coax.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-12-2021, 01:10 AM   #40

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezrvz View Post
Its definitely a personal work ethic issue. I used to be a blue collar worker and took pride in my work since a kid fixing truck radiators. Nowadays they make 3X the amount of money, have better tools, and still manage to miss driving screws in correctly with a dam power drill. They leave all kinds of trash behind the walls in new XG32 and I've already decided I would do a better job fixing things that somehow a dealer seems to need 6 months to do. And still may do it wrong! I told Thor (and all the companies they've absorbed) to send employees on a filed trip to the Ford factory. Its a case where if it was assembled in China it would be a sweet truck. Folks just need to step up their game and stop self rewarding for bad work. If it was your dentist/doctor/mechanic who would you blame?
This is why I am doing all the repairs on my XG32 and fixing the front cap myself, if Thor could not attach the cap correctly the first time around I seriously doubt they would do it correctly the 2nd time around. Now Judge had his fixed by Thor and so far so good and I hope he never has a problem with it again, but if he does I would be more than happy to fix it for him