Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #27526
2022 SV34 on F-600 chassis fuel gauge question

Hi folks, I just picked up our new Magnitude SV34 on the f600 chassis. I know it has two fuel tanks, but I only have one fuel gauge.

I drove an SV32 on the F550 chassis and you could see the second tank from the display settings. The F600 doesn't have nearly as many options.

Could Ford tie both tanks to one gauge? Seems unlikely because they would to have interconnects at the low points of the tanks to ensure they were at the same level.

Thoughts?

Old 07-31-2022, 12:56 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I have no idea. But enjoy your new coach!
Old 07-31-2022, 05:14 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
When you select the fuel tank the gauge displays the level in that tank

Change tanks and then it displays the level in the selected tank
Old 07-31-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

THOR #27526
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
When you select the fuel tank the gauge displays the level in that tank

Change tanks and then it displays the level in the selected tank
Ok. Where is the $#%^ tank selector? I've looked under it, in all the compartments, under the seat, and under the hood...
Old 07-31-2022, 06:53 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobintheHood View Post
Hi folks, I just picked up our new Magnitude SV34 on the f600 chassis. I know it has two fuel tanks, but I only have one fuel gauge.

I drove an SV32 on the F550 chassis and you could see the second tank from the display settings. The F600 doesn't have nearly as many options.

Could Ford tie both tanks to one gauge? Seems unlikely because they would to have interconnects at the low points of the tanks to ensure they were at the same level.

Thoughts?
From the owners manual.
Dual Fuel Tanks (If Equipped)
Your vehicle may have a dual fuel tank
delivery system which operates
independently and automatically. The fuel
pump in the front fuel tank delivers fuel to
the engine. When the fuel level in the front
fuel tank drops below three quarter full,
fuel automatically transfers from the rear
fuel tank to the front fuel tank. Whenever
there is fuel in the rear fuel tank, the front
fuel tank level remains between half and
three quarter full.
Note: If your vehicle runs out of fuel, you
must add fuel to the front fuel tank to
restart the engine
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:58 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Ok. Where is the $#%^ tank selector? I've looked under it, in all the compartments, under the seat, and under the hood...
There is no manual tank selection!

When both tanks are full, the front tank will be used down to 3/4 tank and then the rear tank begins to siphon over automatically. When the rear tank is almost empty, the front tank is used until it is empty.

The analog gauge on the top of the dash display shows the combination of both tanks. You can use the menu settings on the display to get to the Dual Tank display of the two analog gauges. As you scroll through this particualr sub-menu, you can also find the analog gauge for the DEF level.

Also, the generator will not run once you hit 1/4 fuel remaining.

The Ford Super Duty Owners Manual does come in handy for these types of questions.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6071.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	38954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	38955  

Old 07-31-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

THOR #27526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
From the owners manual.
Dual Fuel Tanks (If Equipped)
Your vehicle may have a dual fuel tank
delivery system which operates
independently and automatically. The fuel
pump in the front fuel tank delivers fuel to
the engine. When the fuel level in the front
fuel tank drops below three quarter full,
fuel automatically transfers from the rear
fuel tank to the front fuel tank. Whenever
there is fuel in the rear fuel tank, the front
fuel tank level remains between half and
three quarter full.
Note: If your vehicle runs out of fuel, you
must add fuel to the front fuel tank to
restart the engine
Thank Beau338. I looked through the manuals and didn't find it. Could be I have a F550 manual for some reason.

Seems to defeat the point of the miles to empty counter.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:14 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Seems to defeat the point of the miles to empty counter.
How so?

The single fuel gauge at the top of the display panel represents total fuel onboard from both tanks. The Miles to Empty calculator is based on total fuel onboard fro both tanks based on current MPG calculations.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:25 PM   #9

THOR #27526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

When both tanks are full, the front tank will be used down to 3/4 tank and then the rear tank begins to siphon over automatically. When the rear tank is almost empty, the front tank is used until it is empty.

The analog gauge on the top of the dash display shows the combination of both tanks. You can use the menu settings on the display to get to the Dual Tank display of the two analog gauges. As you scroll through this particualr sub-menu, you can also find the analog gauge for the DEF level.

The Ford Super Duty Owners Manual does come in handy for these types of questions.....
When I go to display mode it only shows air filter life, oil life and DEF level. Also I only have a 4 line display (2.3" screen), not a 5 line (4.2" screen) like you have. I'll have to burn down some fuel to see what happens - thanks.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:27 PM   #10

THOR #27526
Quote:
How so?

The single fuel gauge at the top of the display panel represents total fuel onboard from both tanks. The Miles to Empty calculator is based on total fuel onboard fro both tanks based on current MPG calculations.
Thanks Judge. I guess if it is actually gauging from both tanks that will work. I guess I was thinking that since they were gauging off the front tank only, that they weren't gauging the back one, just pumping from it.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:28 PM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
When I go to display mode it only shows air filter life, oil life and DEF level. Also I only have a 4 line display (2.3" screen), not a 5 line (4.2" screen) like you have. I'll have to burn down some fuel to see what happens - thanks.
The F-550's and F-600 work the same when it comes to the way the dual fuel tanks work based on what I know. However the display differences may be because the F-550 Omni / Magnitudes comes in the XLT trim package and your F-600 may only be an XL package, which has the watered down display.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:31 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks Judge. I guess if it is actually gauging from both tanks that will work. I guess I was thinking that since they were gauging off the front tank only, that they weren't gauging the back one, just pumping from it.
As you can see from my pictures, the main analog gauge shows just under 1/2 tank for total fuel onboard. The secondary display shows the front tank is 3/4 and the rear is 1/4.

I'm guess if you have the XL trim package, you won't have the option to see the individual tanks and only the single gauge reporting total fuel onboard.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:49 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
Hi folks, I just picked up our new Magnitude SV34 on the f600 chassis.
Thoughts?
So Thor has finally wised up and is putting all the Omni and Magnitudes on the F-600? Only the BT36 and the RS36 were on the F-600 chassis.

Or perhaps Thor could not get any F-550's from Ford because of all the supply chain issues. Thor's website still says the SV34 and XG32 are on the F-550.

In any case, consider yourself lucky. My SV34 is right up against the GVWR and you should have plenty of room to spare.

I would trade my XLT package for the XL package and the F-600..... but I would not trade my SV34 for anything now that I have Vroom Slide System installed.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:52 PM   #14

THOR #27526
Quote:
The F-550's and F-600 work the same when it comes to the way the dual fuel tanks work based on what I know. However the display differences may be because the F-550 Omni / Magnitudes comes in the XLT trim package and your F-600 may only be an XL package, which has the watered down display.
Well, I had to look. The Fender badge sez XLT, but I bet you are right, and it is an XL display. I think the F600 chassis was a mid-year shift. Also, supply chain issues may have meant they substituted XL displays. Time to move over to the Fort Truck enthusiast forum to see if I can switch out clusters... ;-)
Old 07-31-2022, 09:05 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Interesting, apparently i am still old school

I liked the days with 2 tanks, two pumps, and the switch
Old 07-31-2022, 11:22 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Also, verify which tank your generator draws from. Mine draws from rear tank...but...could be changed to front or tied into a diverter valve whereby I can draw fuel for generator from either tank, as both fuel tanks have auxiliary fuel ports for other commercial onboard uses. This is important to know for this reason...I drive about 300 miles and run most of rear tank out...front stays full. In the event of emergency power outage at campground or a night of boondocking becomes necessary, I will not have enough fuel to run generator all night comfortably. As a result, I ALWAYS make sure I stop just before reaching campground or sleeping location and fill rear tank. It makes it a smooth start the next day also knowing I'm full of fuel out the chute.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #17

THOR #27526
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Also, verify which tank your generator draws from. Mine draws from rear tank...but...could be changed to front or tied into a diverter valve whereby I can draw fuel for generator from either tank, as both fuel tanks have auxiliary fuel ports for other commercial onboard uses. This is important to know for this reason...I drive about 300 miles and run most of rear tank out...front stays full. In the event of emergency power outage at campground or a night of boondocking becomes necessary, I will not have enough fuel to run generator all night comfortably. As a result, I ALWAYS make sure I stop just before reaching campground or sleeping location and fill rear tank. It makes it a smooth start the next day also knowing I'm full of fuel out the chute.
The Gritz, thanks for the response. This is the main focus of the question. I guess I'll have to do the same and keep the rear tank full.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #18

THOR #27526
Quote:

Judge, is there any way you would share your VIN number with me? I have a guy who works magic with forscan and needs to compare IPC cluster values so I can fool my truck into thinking it's an XLT. (Though it has KLT badges, seats, etc.)
Old 08-07-2022, 09:12 PM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #26992
A little more about the SV34 gauges

Just wanted to through my two bits in on this topic. I also have a 2022 Magnitude SV34 on the F-600 chassis. (We are loving it btw) I can't say if we all have the same display but on mine, when you are on the display that shows air filter status, oil life and DEF level... keep scrolling down on the keypad, it's two clicks down to display the fuel level in both tanks.

Couple other things I saw on this thread... the generator runs on the forward tank. The aft tank fills and keeps the forward tank at 3/4 full until the aft tank runs out of fuel. This all happens automatically, there are no switches or valves to turn. Having had several multi-tank vehicles, this is auto process is WONDERFUL!!! I had another discovery, if you leave the ignition on (I had the engine running) and fill the just aft tank, the forward tank will fill to 3/4 full with the transfer pump while you are fueling. You can also watch this happening on the multi-tank display. So I may just fill the aft tank from now on!!! Once the aft tank is topped off (the transfer pump keeps up with fueling from the pump), I can only get about 5 more gallons in the forward tank.

Oh, one other comment I saw on this thread, yes and yea... I have approximately 1,000 pounds of "extra" carrying capacity on the front axle and 3,000 pounds on the back axle with the F-600. And that is with our full travel load, chairs, BBQs, tools, water, tables, fencing for the dog, etc. etc. etc. LOL
Old 08-08-2022, 12:19 AM   #20

THOR #27526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaJim36 View Post
Just wanted to through my two bits in on this topic. I also have a 2022 Magnitude SV34 on the F-600 chassis. (We are loving it btw) I can't say if we all have the same display but on mine, when you are on the display that shows air filter status, oil life and DEF level... keep scrolling down on the keypad, it's two clicks down to display the fuel level in both tanks.

Couple other things I saw on this thread... the generator runs on the forward tank. The aft tank fills and keeps the forward tank at 3/4 full until the aft tank runs out of fuel. This all happens automatically, there are no switches or valves to turn. Having had several multi-tank vehicles, this is auto process is WONDERFUL!!! I had another discovery, if you leave the ignition on (I had the engine running) and fill the just aft tank, the forward tank will fill to 3/4 full with the transfer pump while you are fueling. You can also watch this happening on the multi-tank display. So I may just fill the aft tank from now on!!! Once the aft tank is topped off (the transfer pump keeps up with fueling from the pump), I can only get about 5 more gallons in the forward tank.

Oh, one other comment I saw on this thread, yes and yea... I have approximately 1,000 pounds of "extra" carrying capacity on the front axle and 3,000 pounds on the back axle with the F-600. And that is with our full travel load, chairs, BBQs, tools, water, tables, fencing for the dog, etc. etc. etc. LOL
DynaJim36,
You are my savior! I only saw air filter status, oil life and DEF level...and a blank line, so I didn't think to try and scroll further down. Viola!

I was thinking something was not right, because while I have XLT badges and the power seat, my VIN indicates an XL trim level. Turns out, I just wasn't exploring enough.

BTW - Installed a Sat antenna this weekend - Step by step-ish pics coming soon.

First camping trip this weekend coming up!