Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2022, 05:16 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Do not use duct tape in HVAC systems because it does not stand up to the extreme conditions of heating and cooling. Use either foil tape or duct mastic or HVAC systems.

Google ‘duct tape vs foil tape’ for all the reading you desire.
Ok will do. I have Foil Tape and will research where or what it wraps around on the top of MH

Old 06-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Ok will do. I have Foil Tape and will research where or what it wraps around on the top of MH

I used Gorilla Tape two years ago and it still looks perfect. It is also much easier to use and it sticks much better than foil tape in the ceiling.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #23

THOR #12751
Quote:
I can't find a vedio on where to apply this to the roof AC?

I thought I have you a very detailed description of where to apply the Frost King Insulation.

The entire "box" on the left side where the arrow is pointing is where you apply the Frost King Insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 6.37.14 AM.png
Views:	27
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	37932  
Old 06-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I used Gorilla Tape two years ago and it still looks perfect. It is also much easier to use and it sticks much better than foil tape in the ceiling.

Gorilla Tape is my new solution for everything. It works underwater, in extreme heat and doesn't dry out/deteriorate. Get the wide roll and you can make different widths for different needs.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #25

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Gorilla Tape is my new solution for everything. It works underwater, in extreme heat and doesn't dry out/deteriorate. Get the wide roll and you can make different widths for different needs.
Gorilla tape is good and far better than the average run of the mill fabric tape, duct/duck/etc. BUT for me I prefer to use a product designed for the purpose and for HVAC that's exposed to heat/cold and cycles, the foil tape in my preferred tool. It does also come in different grades, thickness etc. so choose wisely not cheaply.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
FWIW

The SDS for Gorilla tape states it can release hazardous fumes at high temperatures and to use it in well ventilated areas.

Although they do not specifically states temperatures they state it will melt at high temperatures.

There are limitations to its use.

Also the temperature range for Gorilla tape is 10 to 120 degrees F. Foil tapes temp range is -65 to 300.

Again FWIW.

Note: SDS = Safety Data Sheet
Old 06-06-2022, 03:49 PM   #27

THOR #20220
Thanks all for the pictures and foil tape recommendation..will try soon
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #28

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
FWIW

The SDS for Gorilla tape states it can release hazardous fumes at high temperatures and to use it in well ventilated areas.

Although they do not specifically states temperatures they state it will melt at high temperatures.

There are limitations to its use.

Also the temperature range for Gorilla tape is 10 to 120 degrees F. Foil tapes temp range is -65 to 300.

Again FWIW.

Note: SDS = Safety Data Sheet
I can tell you the inside of my coach has never even hit 100 Deg.... others may have a different experience so it may not be for them. I also don't have the heating option for my A/C units. I also take mine apart twice a year to clean the filters and there are no signs of degradation. I am sure there would be an odor as well of the temp reached levels where it started to break down.

So I would say I am using it within its limitations..... I also have a degree in Chemistry as well and familiar with MSDS's.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I can tell you the inside of my coach has never even hit 100 Deg.... others may have a different experience so it may not be for them. I also don't have the heating option for my A/C units. I also take mine apart twice a year to clean the filters and there are no signs of degradation. I am sure there would be an odor as well of the temp reached levels where it started to break down.

So I would say I am using it within its limitations..... I also have a degree in Chemistry as well and familiar with SDS's.
You are free to do whatever the heck you want.

I presented facts, not personal opinions, to folks so they can make their own educated decision.

Have a good day
Old 06-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:
I thought I have you a very detailed description of where to apply the Frost King Insulation.

The entire "box" on the left side where the arrow is pointing is where you apply the Frost King Insulation.
Looks like foil goes on the side without fan?
On roof looking now
Turned on air to see which side gets cool .assume that is foil side..

Will Unplug everything while working on it
Old 06-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #31

THOR #12751
Quote:
Looks like foil goes on the side without fan?
On roof looking now
Turned on air to see which side gets cool .assume that is foil side..

Will Unplug everything while working on it
That is correct. The left side in the picture is where the evaporator is located in the ceiling. That is the side that gets cold. You insulate that enclosure to help keep as much of the cold air inside the coach as possible. The roof gets hot an having a dark cover on the A/C unit on the roof doesn't help. The insulation does help promote max efficiency.

Just turn the A/C off or unplug shore power when you do it to be safe.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #32

THOR #20220
Quote:
That is correct. The left side in the picture is where the evaporator is located in the ceiling. That is the side that gets cold. You insulate that enclosure to help keep as much of the cold air inside the coach as possible. The roof gets hot an having a dark cover on the A/C unit on the roof doesn't help. The insulation does help promote max efficiency.

Just turn the A/C off or unplug shore power when you do it to be safe.
Thanks "here comes the Judge"
All done cleaned sealed
Appreciate all the expertise!!
Old 06-18-2022, 07:04 PM   #33

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Thanks "here comes the Judge"
Good ole Flip Wilson. Watched that show all the time growing up.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #34

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: Colorado
THOR #20053
Judge and the guys have some great ideas, here is a couple of things that I have done to help this situation. In doing some research, the AC units that are placed in these RV, designed for these RV, have been engineered to cool the interior air on average 20 degrees from the ambient outside air, so the box insulation and duct modifications make a ton of sense. The other thing that I did was invest int he RVAirFLow system. I just placed the system in the front AC unit on my BH35 and it increased the airflow of that area by and average of 33% and in some of the areas almost 40%. I know it works as we just returned from a two and a half week trip to New Mexico and Arizona to have Brian at VRoom replace our slide mechanism and we hit outside temps of 110 degrees, in Bensen, AZ and Tuscon. Now with what I said about the 20 degree delta inside to out, that the AC units are designed to, we where able to keep the inside temp on the coach down in the mid 70's. We hit some upper 70's and I think an 80 once during the heat of the day, but I will tell you that RVAirFLow system is worth the cost. As for the temp sensor, Judge is right on, they are in the wrong place and if you have a temp sensor or monitor in the coach use that. We left the dogs in the coach while we went to Tombstone and I would monitor the temp from my phone and even with the hotest temp, the dogs stayed a cool 76-78 degrees. Would be nice to have the 15K units, but at least in the desert southwest and its high temps the AC we have on it today where able to keep up with things.
meyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:23 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyeagle View Post
Judge and the guys have some great ideas, here is a couple of things that I have done to help this situation. In doing some research, the AC units that are placed in these RV, designed for these RV, have been engineered to cool the interior air on average 20 degrees from the ambient outside air, so the box insulation and duct modifications make a ton of sense. The other thing that I did was invest int he RVAirFLow system. I just placed the system in the front AC unit on my BH35 and it increased the airflow of that area by and average of 33% and in some of the areas almost 40%. I know it works as we just returned from a two and a half week trip to New Mexico and Arizona to have Brian at VRoom replace our slide mechanism and we hit outside temps of 110 degrees, in Bensen, AZ and Tuscon. Now with what I said about the 20 degree delta inside to out, that the AC units are designed to, we where able to keep the inside temp on the coach down in the mid 70's. We hit some upper 70's and I think an 80 once during the heat of the day, but I will tell you that RVAirFLow system is worth the cost. As for the temp sensor, Judge is right on, they are in the wrong place and if you have a temp sensor or monitor in the coach use that. We left the dogs in the coach while we went to Tombstone and I would monitor the temp from my phone and even with the hotest temp, the dogs stayed a cool 76-78 degrees. Would be nice to have the 15K units, but at least in the desert southwest and its high temps the AC we have on it today where able to keep up with things.

Great test we did many mods recommended here and have not test in Las Cruces yet ..but with box insulation and wibdow covers we should be great. It was cold for us before box insulation