Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23U
State: Virginia
THOR #9682
23U Ford or Chevy?

We're looking at getting a Four Winds 23U. We don't want slide-outs and the layout is perfect for us.

What has me confused is the choice between Ford and Chevy chassis; i'm finding it tough to find any information on the interior differences. I know the Ford is an E350 cutaway. I can't even figure out exactly which Chevy cutaway chassis would be used since Thor just lists it as a "Chevy Dually."

We will not be towing so towing capacity is not a concern. The Chevy option appears to be ~2k cheaper. Are there any differences in interior cab space/comfort/quality or ride handling?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that can be offered!
-Mike

Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Chevy 6.0 V-8 versus Ford 6.8 V-10?
I'd look at the Ford's higher torque output, and base my decision on that...

...But that's just me!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
With the Chevy chassis you shouldn't have to spend $$$ to improve the ride & handling like the Ford. But I'm NOT a Ford fan anyway, that's why we choose a fifth wheel, all the gas motorhomes at time were all Fords.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm actually pretty happy with the handling of my Outlaw...
I know that it needs some help in the carrying capacity arena: I'll deal with that next Spring.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #9741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmthor View Post
We're looking at getting a Four Winds 23U. We don't want slide-outs and the layout is perfect for us.

What has me confused is the choice between Ford and Chevy chassis; i'm finding it tough to find any information on the interior differences. I know the Ford is an E350 cutaway. I can't even figure out exactly which Chevy cutaway chassis would be used since Thor just lists it as a "Chevy Dually."

We will not be towing so towing capacity is not a concern. The Chevy option appears to be ~2k cheaper. Are there any differences in interior cab space/comfort/quality or ride handling?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that can be offered!
-Mike
I have owned two chevy platform RVs, one a 32 ft and one a 19ft. Both had large v-8s. The engines performed flawlessly but were underpowered on the mountain passes. I now have a Ford Powerstroke 5 cylinder turbo diesel and love it. I have yet to power out on passes. Caution: I have only had it a year so don't know about reliability. Never drove a V-10 Ford.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

THOR #9682
Thanks!

So would the Ford's higher torque output make much of a difference if we'll never tow? Better in the mountains?

I've heard anecdotally that the Chevy chassis handles better. With the Ford I'd likely install a Saf-T-Plus.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
That Ford V10's is a pretty solid power plant, though it thrives on high RPM's and is not a quiet engine. I have a friend that has one of the early V10's in what is now an elderly Winnebago, and he has never had a problem with it.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thanks!

So would the Ford's higher torque output make much of a difference if we'll never tow? Better in the mountains?

I've heard anecdotally that the Chevy chassis handles better. With the Ford I'd likely install a Saf-T-Plus.
Denis Leary might have said it best:
"Torque is what gets the cap off your beer."
You'd be using less throttle to get yourself moving, and the rig would not seem as if it's struggling on steeper grades (as much...)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I sat in both the chevy and ford cockpits prior to purchase. I found the seating more comfortable for me in the ford vs chevy. I ultimately chose the ford for the V-10 performance while towing but have found it extremely capable and beneficial when not towing due to engine braking and on ramp acceleration. After purchase I did spend the money to have the camber / caster adjusters installed and the alignment redone by ford fleet services (at my expense). It now drives like a champ on the highway.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

THOR #9682
Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Sounds like it worth getting the more expensive Ford with the V10 from a power perspective.

@airforceret- Anything else you remember about the Ford vs Chevy interior from a comfort/features perspective? For the adjustments by fleet services was that just done by a Ford dealer or is there something special for that?

Regards,
Mike
Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The fun is in the shopping; take your time, and drive ALL of them!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #12

THOR #6414
I liked the excessive cup holders and storage in the Ford chassis as well.

Our local ford dealer has a ford fleet service (big truck) shop. Not all Ford dealers have shops qualified or capable of service on motorhomes. So you'll want to inquire with your local dealers if they work on motorhomes and if they limit the overall size or weight (for their lift services).
Old 11-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #13

THOR #7389
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I sat in both the chevy and ford cockpits prior to purchase. I found the seating more comfortable for me in the ford vs chevy. I ultimately chose the ford for the V-10 performance while towing but have found it extremely capable and beneficial when not towing due to engine braking and on ramp acceleration. After purchase I did spend the money to have the camber / caster adjusters installed and the alignment redone by ford fleet services (at my expense). It now drives like a champ on the highway.
I second everything he said. My Four Winds 23U handles great with the camber adjustment, proper tire pressure according to weight and the addition of a heavy duty bolt on rear sway bar. The sway bar took 3 hours to install and does not require a lift or jacking. The best part is the V10 performance is excellent. I can accelerate and pass like I am in a SUV that performs well.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #14

THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23U_2016 View Post
I second everything he said. My Four Winds 23U handles great with the camber adjustment, proper tire pressure according to weight and the addition of a heavy duty bolt on rear sway bar. The sway bar took 3 hours to install and does not require a lift or jacking. The best part is the V10 performance is excellent. I can accelerate and pass like I am in a SUV that performs well.
The stock E350 sway bars are way too soft with my 26B. I do plan to upgrade to E450 (or better) sway bars next year. Too bad Thor screwed us on our 2017 order and downgraded our purchase to an E350 chassis. #ThorLacksIntegrity I've been driving it like I stole it and averaging about 7.3 mpg. Put over 9,000 miles on it this season. Started prepping for storage tonight. Did you go with aftermarket sway bars?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have had my Chevy 28A since it was new and I have been very happy with it. I tow a Subaru sedan with no problems. We have had one trip to the west coast, many years ago and all went well. As I remember, we were a little slow going up the bigger hills. Here in the east I have no problems with the hills.

I can't compare it with the Ford chassis, but, I am happy with the Chevy.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:52 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I have had my Chevy 28A since it was new and I have been very happy with it. I tow a Subaru sedan with no problems. We have had one trip to the west coast, many years ago and all went well. As I remember, we were a little slow going up the bigger hills. Here in the east I have no problems with the hills.

I can't compare it with the Ford chassis, but, I am happy with the Chevy.

I've driven a 28A with Ford V10 across Rockies, without a toad, and it wasn't that fast uphills either. No matter how we look at it, 305 HP maximum on a rig that weighed close to 14,500 pounds can't be fast going up hills.

The Chevy V8 has more power than Ford V10, plus the 23U motorhome is lighter than the 28A, so performance should be better. Someone on this forum also reported Chevy V8 fuel economy was better than those with Ford V10.

I like the Ford E-Series cab but I'm biased because I've been driving them for about 20 years total. Having said that, I'm not a blind fan of the Ford V10 even though my present one has 175,000 miles (in a van) and only with minor repairs. It is reliable, but lacks refinement. Ford has been lacking a large modern truck-size V8 for a long time in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 AM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
The stock E350 sway bars are way too soft with my 26B. I do plan to upgrade to E450 (or better) sway bars next year. ....cut....
Ford specs show 23 mm front and 28.6 rear for both E-350 w/DRW or E-450. Do you have info showing E-450 sway bars are stiffer?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #18
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Sounds like it worth getting the more expensive Ford with the V10 from a power perspective.

@airforceret- Anything else you remember about the Ford vs Chevy interior from a comfort/features perspective? For the adjustments by fleet services was that just done by a Ford dealer or is there something special for that?

Regards,
Mike
Our 2 previous motorhomes were on the F 350 V-10 .. Ron would not have it any other way.
Our Axis is an F 450 V-10 ... Ron agrees with the other Forum members in regards to the power and dependability of these engines.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Chateau 23U

We have a 2014 Thor Chateau 23U w/ Ford V-10. First drive was across the country, California to Missouri. The motor is a bit loud at higher RPMs and it will downshift on steep grades. The handling can be a bit disconcerting until you get used to shifting your focus farther down the road.
It's tempting to fix your eyes close to the coach to "micro" correct the small variances in direction. But when you feel more confident and move your focus 200 - 400 yards farther afield, then all of those small corrections disappear and the ride is very comfortable! My wife has been driving the coach without any difficulties for months!
We keep the rear camera on at all time and you can see when you are past another car or truck. We have the side mirrors set so we can see the side of the coach and the road lines with a quick glance.
Tire pressure and weighing the coach properly is important too, as is moving any heavy things: can goods, pots and pan down low and keeping lighter things in the upper storage areas.
All in all, this is a wonderful small coach and will go many places that a larger coach wont! Keep a tube of LockTite and a screw driver handy for minor repairs. Set it up how you like it and enjoy! Don't get caught up in the "have to fix this or that" and just drive it down the road!
Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Thank you Chance for reminding me about gas mileage. My 28A, towing my Subaru, has averaged about 9.0 mpg. Sometimes a little over, sometimes a little under.