Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Oregon
THOR #24903
24F Four Winds Tank Drain?

I can't seem to find a drain anywhere on our 2019 Four Winds 24F. Last winter is blew the lines out and drained the hot water tank. Is there a low point drain somewhere, or a drain for the fresh water tank?

Old 09-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We have a 2020 Thor Chateau 24F, which is a sister product to the Four Winds.

Remove the kitchen drawers beside the stove/under the kitchen sink. If you look in there - to the left (under the sink) you will see the top of the fresh water tank. There is a long vertical rod with a white T handle on top. If you pull UP on that, you OPEN the fresh water tank drain valve - the drain is directly below under the motorhome, just left of the step well. Obviously, pushing it down FIRMLY closes the tank drain valve.

On the floor to the right you should see the blue & red pex water supply lines. There are two short blue and red sections of pipe coming off of the main lines - they make a 90 degree turn and exit through a cutout in the floor. These are your "low point drains". There are TINY black "T" handles where the pipes exit through the floor - look closely just under the pipes.

Refer to the pics - I have a finger under one of the low point black "T" handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191012_093514.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	33789   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191012_093528.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	33790  

Name:	20191012_093609.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	33791  
Old 07-18-2023, 01:56 AM   #3

THOR #24903
It is a bit late, however here is what I found for the drain on our 2019 Four Winds 24F, see photo. It was under the stack of drawers under the sink, however difficult to get to. I made up the tool shown, used some 2" PVC conduit I had (PVC pipe would have worked), cut to 24" with notches to fit the valve handle. I can remove the lower drawer, open the upper ones, slip the tool in and up, then down to catch the valve. A twist on the pipe and the valve is opened or closed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6128.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	42828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6130.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	42829  

Old 07-18-2023, 11:54 AM   #4

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
24F Four Winds Tank Drain?

My 2017 FW 24F has the two low point drains in the exact same location as Chateau_Nomad except I have 1/4 turn ball valves. Look closely under the drawer below the stove. Mine were hidden under excess spray foam. I believe you modified you fresh water tank drain and not the low point drains.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	42830
Old 07-18-2023, 12:16 PM   #5

THOR #24903
Yes, it was the fresh water tank drain that I was looking for at the time. And it is a quarter turn ball valve.

Your reply prompted me to look further and I see two small black push-pull vales on the lines you indicated, probably the low point drains.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
My 2017 FW 24F has the two low point drains in the exact same location as Chateau_Nomad except I have 1/4 turn ball valves. Look closely under the drawer below the stove. Mine were hidden under excess spray foam. I believe you modified you fresh water tank drain and not the low point drains.Attachment 42830
I am just curious, if you open the low point drains (blue/red pex) and leave the fresh water tank drain as is "closed"; and then turn on fresh water pump; what happens? Will it drain the tank?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:45 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am just curious, if you open the low point drains (blue/red pex) and leave the fresh water tank drain as is "closed"; and then turn on fresh water pump; what happens? Will it drain the tank?
Yes. .lots of.people.have that as the only source. My 35SF did not have a fresh tank drain. It was suppose to be on the back of the tank, under the bed requiring some disassembly of the bed. After finally getting to that point...no drain valve was there. Every single model is different...nothing consistent. Thus...this invaluable forum.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:16 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Quote:

Yes, it will drain the tank. To make winterizing or sanitizing quicker I open the fresh water tank drain, the low point drains and run the pump. It drains the fresh water tank quicker.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
As a side note, my miniature plastic t-handle drain valves started leaking... probably from plastic shards getting sucked from the water tank.

Not wanting to try digging those cheap valves out to replace them, I opted for adding quarter turn shutoffs on the outside underneath. I just leave the t-handle valves open now.

My fresh tank drain is a common T-handle Valtera valve installed (practically inaccessible) at the bottom of the fresh tank into a 1-1/2" PVC pipe. I installed a threaded cap on that pipe for insurance.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:46 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yes. .lots of.people.have that as the only source. My 35SF did not have a fresh tank drain. It was suppose to be on the back of the tank, under the bed requiring some disassembly of the bed. After finally getting to that point...no drain valve was there. Every single model is different...nothing consistent. Thus...this invaluable forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
Yes, it will drain the tank. To make winterizing or sanitizing quicker I open the fresh water tank drain, the low point drains and run the pump. It drains the fresh water tank quicker.
Great. When I thought about my setup, I started to think how it actually simplifies, including winterizing. Of course I have no choice, but if I did have option, unless my gravity drain valve was voice controlled, why bother.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-18-2023, 05:29 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
My tank was 80 gallons...that's a lot of wear and tear on the pump. I cut out a new hole and cap on the top of tank and used an old bilge pump and hose from the boat to empty it. Big pump dumped it real quick. I also used that new port to fill it since the gravity fill on the side of coach was worthless.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:29 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
My tank was 80 gallons...that's a lot of wear and tear on the pump. I cut out a new hole and cap on the top of tank and used an old bilge pump and hose from the boat to empty it. Big pump dumped it real quick. I also used that new port to fill it since the gravity fill on the side of coach was worthless.
Sometimes the old way is the best.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021_0626_150144AA.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	42837  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:44 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
That works... I do similar with 75 gal salt water tank.

But I prefer to be a push the button and go get a beer kind of guy. I no longer drain oil in the typical sense. Got twin engines in a boat with no drain plug. I use a Mityvac 7201 to extract. I use Fumoto valves in other cases. Exception being the Onan as it is very easy to turn that valve, but I am willing to bet money ( not really on this site) that by the time that 1 quart of oil completes gravity draining on the Onan, my Shurflo pump has pumped what ever is left in my 71 gal tank out of the low point drains. There are actually 4 low point drain lines so it does it very quick.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
That works... I do similar with 75 gal salt water tank.

But I prefer to be a push the button and go get a beer kind of guy. I no longer drain oil in the typical sense. Got twin engines in a boat with no drain plug. I use a Mityvac 7201 to extract. I use Fumoto valves in other cases. Exception being the Onan as it is very easy to turn that valve, but I am willing to bet money ( not really on this site) that by the time that 1 quart of oil completes gravity draining on the Onan, my Shurflo pump has pumped what ever is left in my 71 gal tank out of the low point drains. There are actually 4 low point drain lines so it does it very quick.
Saltwater tank? Hmmmm……Hope it’s in the boat, not RV.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Saltwater tank? Hmmmm……Hope it’s in the boat, not RV.
In RV right next to the spare tire with wheel, spare tire carrier, both e bikes, ebike carrier, Roadmaster tow bar, Compressor, 4 heavy duty fold up lawn chairs, two extra 45lb propane tanks and the Blackstone grill next to my OCCC sticker that apparently is not required as long as I do my own 4 corner weighs

Note: When I travel, I reduce the Saltwater tank down to 1/3rd tank, the fish get use to it, but when I add the water back from the campsite, they give me that funny look