Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2021, 01:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
3000 miles and still a happy camper!

Just finished a pair of trips, totaling 3000 miles. Towed the Prius on a dolly. No issues with anything. My RV continues to be the most solidly and best built I've ever owned (4 total). Considering the online reputation of Thor, I couldn't be happier with this.

The only issue I had: One of my 11 TireMinder sensors decided to malfunction, and of course it did this in Atlanta rush hour traffic. That was fun, pulling over for a flat inner dual in rush hour traffic. I actually wasn't upset to NOT have a flat! The tire was fine, and the sensor started reporting normally again after I stopped. After the same sensor did it a couple more times I replaced it with one of my spare sensors and had no further issues.

And just for fun ...

States visited: Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and then Ohio, Pennsylvania (45 miles between Ohio and New York, so maybe doesn't count), New York

State with the worst (overall) highways: Tennessee.
The worst individual highway: I-640 around Knoxville. There was a several mile long section where 25 mph felt too fast, and I generally go 65. People in cars looked to be going 40-45 on this section of this 65 mph highway. There was no traffic to speak of.
The worst backup: Brent Spence Bridge, Cincinnati (I-71 and I-75).
Second worst: Atlanta during afternoon rush hour. (Yes, the north-bound backup for the Brent Spence was worse.)

State with the best (overall) highways: Florida. By far.
Runner up: Georgia

Average: Ohio (some good, some bad), New York (some good, some bad)

Special category for Kentucky: Highways were basically fine, but they really need to send people out to pick up shredded tire debris on the berms - there was A LOT.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Note: AVOID crossing the river into downtown Cincinnati at all costs in an RV... unless you love chaos! I'd suggest taking the I-275 bypass if you must stay on the freeway.

I've lived/driven in and around central Ohio for 47+ years, and Cincinnati, Cleveland then Columbus have some of the NASTIEST designed freeways. I used to drive into downtown Columbus to work... and it was horrible! And that was in a car!

Just me, but I MUCH prefer the "older" less traveled state highway systems in Ohio. They are well kept, MUCH more scenic/relaxing. It takes a little longer, but you avoid nearly all the idiocy of inner city freeways. There are MANY alternative routes throughout Ohio's farmlands and rolling hills.

Just my humble opinion...