Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2020, 07:20 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #21564
Axis 24.1 Full Time for one person?

Is this feasible? Any idea about monthly budget? I’d probably travel moderately, not crazy and work remotely.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: Welcome to our virtual RV Park!
Is it feasible? Absolutely!
There's no way to help you with a budget because we'd have no idea of what your travel plans are...
But there are a lot of full-timers in here who can help.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you been in one? Could you deal with the 24.1's shower on a daily basis?

(Yup we have one and don't have an issue with the small shower but many do...)

Anything is feasible if you make it so...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
We have a new Axis 24.1 on order and plan to use it for a full timing for a couple of months at a time. It has similar interior dimensions to a 25' fifth wheel we full timed in for 4-5 months almost 20 years ago, but more systems- a generator for example and more liquid storage.

That fifth wheel was fine for the two of us and our dog. Now we also have a cat, but she takes up very little room.

Like 20 years ago, we mostly plan to dry camp with several hundred watts of solar and maybe lithium batteries but maybe not. I suspect we can manage power indefinitely with that much solar. Our only limitations will be fresh and grey water. We can probably make it for five days without filling or dumping which is as long as I plan to stay in any one spot.

David
Old 12-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Full timing is not 3-4 months at a time, FTing is usually 12 months (yearly) unless i am wrong.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #6

THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you been in one? Could you deal with the 24.1's shower on a daily basis?

(Yup we have one and don't have an issue with the small shower but many do...)

Anything is feasible if you make it so...

Lol. Thank you. I don’t believe in self hygiene so the shower won’t be a problem for me.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybatty View Post
Lol. Thank you. I don’t believe in self hygiene so the shower won’t be a problem for me.

Have you parked it on any city streets? Is it practical or is a tad too wide/long?
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #8

THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
First: Welcome to our virtual RV Park!

Is it feasible? Absolutely!

There's no way to help you with a budget because we'd have no idea of what your travel plans are...

But there are a lot of full-timers in here who can help.

Thank you for the welcome. The Axis 24.1 seems like an absolutely perfect fit for me. I don’t know how tough it’ll be for me to boondock or find a campsite daily.

On the back of an envelope, I think I can get by on $2000/month for everything. That’s the hope at least. I’ve been taking notes on all kinds of cost saving tactics for RV living, too.

I was looking at a Class B, but I think it’d get old quick and I’m a big guy who would probably bang off of things and break them. The only reason I’d get a Class B is to get into a city bc I really like visiting cities.

I wonder if a 24.1 is city driving worthy. For example, do most or many parking garages allow or can fit an RV?

I suspect no, but I figured I’d ask. Need to plan for city visits. Maybe park out by a train or bus station in the burbs and take the train or bus downtown.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #9

THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Full timing is not 3-4 months at a time, FTing is usually 12 months (yearly) unless i am wrong.

That brings up a good point. Do you get tired of full time RVing? How do you “recharge” without giving up RV permanently? Rent a cabin for a month or two each year?
Old 12-18-2020, 11:36 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Have you parked it on any city streets? Is it practical or is a tad too wide/long?
Something like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_105520.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	27706
Old 12-19-2020, 01:46 AM   #11

THOR #21564
Quote:
Something like this?

Attachment 27706

Thank you. I was thinking of a more urban street with narrower E Coast type streets. I was wondering if this is totally not doable since it’s wider primarily.

Also, do you ever park it in a garage? Authorized? Practical?
Old 12-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thank you. I was thinking of a more urban street with narrower E Coast type streets. I was wondering if this is totally not doable since it’s wider primarily.

Also, do you ever park it in a garage? Authorized? Practical?
No parking garages nearby with the height clearance required. Most of them by us are barely tall enough for pickups and vans...

Need a good 12' of clearance for an Axis.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:00 AM   #13

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I park downtown sometimes 25.2 axis takes 2 meters parked in parking lots never garage too tall McDonald's ok no problem. No drive through. Drove through parts of New York city no tunnels Brolin bridge. Detroit little rock Miami Gatlinburg tn was scary Orland east a1a in florida. I've never had any problems but I've had to stop in middle of a few right turns in small country towns but if you go slow and know when to stop. People will be curious and let you through. They know I'm beginning and I'm sure they have a good laugh.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:02 AM   #14

THOR #21564
Quote:
No parking garages nearby with the height clearance required. Most of them by us are barely tall enough for pickups and vans...

Need a good 12' of clearance for an Axis.

Thank you. What about open air parking lots? Do you know if they accept RVs? In a city? Even airport lots in case I need to fly somewhere?
Old 12-19-2020, 02:12 AM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
These are far too basic of questions for us to give you an answer you can relate to other things.
You need to drive around in whatever vehicle you have now and see what a city is comprised of.

Do you have a driver's license now?
I ask because many people do not and it seems as if you've never driven a vehicle in a city.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:14 AM   #16

THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
These are far too basic questions.

You need to drive around in whatever vehicle you have and see what a city is comprised of.

Do you have a driver's license now?

I ask because many people do not and it seems as if you've never driven a vehicle in the city.

I’ve lived in many cities for many years with a car and a license the whole time. The difference is I’ve never driven a 25 foot long, 8 foot wide vehicle with bad visibility.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:16 AM   #17

THOR #3471
Quote:
Thank you. What about open air parking lots? Do you know if they accept RVs? In a city? Even airport lots in case I need to fly somewhere?

Never tried airport. Open air ok. If you call the city that you are going to be traveling they will help you with parking some info on their websites too. I parked downtown Atlanta just down the street from the Fox theater for a country music show. And stayed overnight. But we weren’t camping lights on and talking with friends that lived in Atlanta.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #18

THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Never tried airport. Open air ok. If you call the city that you are going to be traveling they will help you with parking some info on their websites too. I parked downtown Atlanta just down the street from the Fox theater for a country music show. And stayed overnight. But we weren’t camping lights on and talking with friends that lived in Atlanta.

Thank you. This is helpful. I’m trying to figure out how to weight the factors in the inevitable compromises between convenience in travel vs comfort in travel.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:12 AM   #19

THOR #3471
Quote:
Thank you. This is helpful. I’m trying to figure out how to weight the factors in the inevitable compromises between convenience in travel vs comfort in travel.

Good luck stay safe
Old 12-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I’ve lived in many cities for many years with a car and a license the whole time. The difference is I’ve never driven a 25 foot long, 8 foot wide vehicle with bad visibility.
Rent a similar coach for a week and test drive it in places you’re planning to go. That’s the only way to really answer your questions.