Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #12315
31W Slide

I'm looking at a Chateau, 31W, and am curious if anyone has heard of any issues with the full wall slide? I like it, but that's a lot of mass to move, if any design flaws are there. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
As long as it has the new 3 Trak System you should be good...providing there are no alignment issues. Everybody seem pretty pleased with it's performance. If and when you get to the point of doing paperwork...make sure you run the slides in and out a bunch of times before you choose that coach. You looking at used or new?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnB View Post
I'm looking at a Chateau, 31W, and am curious if anyone has heard of any issues with the full wall slide? I like it, but that's a lot of mass to move, if any design flaws are there. Thanks!
I don't know about design flaws, but my WS31(same as a 31W) is sitting now with a dead slide. :O It has been working very well over the 15 months we have owned it. I don't now if our other issue last time camping contributed to the failure, but I'll go ahead and mention it. When auto leveling the first night out our jacks in the rear went all the way down and blew the high amp breaker in the battery box. The coach was really twisted, the bathroom door was jammed closed. After, finally figuring out it was the blown breaker, I was able to lower the MH, then leveled manually. At that time the slide extended normally. The next night however, on the semi level parking lot the slide "stuck" and wouldn't extend. Only the front wants to move, the rear attempts to go but stops. At this point we don't know exactly what the problem is. It goes to the shop Tuesday.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #4

THOR #12315
Thanks for this. I'm looking at a '15, in Texas.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Buying used demands a thorough inspection and making sure of proper operation...and look closely for signs of repair around the slide areas. As sited in the above scenario, you don't know where it's been or what problems they may have had with it. I'm sure Pat will get it fixed back to new operation but many people get frustrated and just trade it off. My comments above are based on a new unit. Buyer Beware.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Buying used demands a thorough inspection and making sure of proper operation...and look closely for signs of repair around the slide areas. As sited in the above scenario, you don't know where it's been or what problems they may have had with it. I'm sure Pat will get it fixed back to new operation but many people get frustrated and just trade it off. My comments above are based on a new unit. Buyer Beware.
We were quite frustrated at the time. We did what we do and said we aren't going to let this ruin our vacation with our Grand daughters. We just had an extra narrow hallway. Fortunately our "used" coach came with a transferable extended warranty. We don't know if these units with the long slides come from the factory with the heavy duty motors, but our RV tech says he will request two new HD units for the repair.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnB View Post
Thanks for this. I'm looking at a '15, in Texas.
Best guess, the 15' has the two track system which has many problems. It might have been retrofitted and upgraded with the new three track, you'll need to look at it.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

THOR #12315
Thanks, NOSTICKS, I'm 1 year behind, but catching up rapidly!!