Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
4 group 27 AGM's under the steps?????

Looking for comments from anyone who has added 2 more Group 27 batteries to the factory installed 2 Group 27's under the steps.

The brochure for our coach states the under the steps battery tray can hold four Group 27 batteries. It comes from the factory with two Group 27 AGM's and I was considering adding two more AGM's bringing the total to four. Looking at the battery tray it would seem a difficult task adding two more batteries. There are a number of cables and two circuit breakers inside that tray. The only way for batteries to go in or out is thru the opening under the top step. I looked under the coach and there does not appear to be an opening large enough for a battery to go in or out. We are guessing that the two existing batteries would have to be pushed back in the tray to make room for two more at the front. Then the cables for the two additional batteries would have to be added. Just looking at the situation we do not get a positive feeling about this. We were wondering if anyone else had done this and how it went.

Bob Nodine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:25 AM   #2

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Looking for comments from anyone who has added 2 more Group 27 batteries to the factory installed 2 Group 27's under the steps.

The brochure for our coach states the under the steps battery tray can hold four Group 27 batteries. It comes from the factory with two Group 27 AGM's and I was considering adding two more AGM's bringing the total to four. Looking at the battery tray it would seem a difficult task adding two more batteries. There are a number of cables and two circuit breakers inside that tray. The only way for batteries to go in or out is thru the opening under the top step. I looked under the coach and there does not appear to be an opening large enough for a battery to go in or out. We are guessing that the two existing batteries would have to be pushed back in the tray to make room for two more at the front. Then the cables for the two additional batteries would have to be added. Just looking at the situation we do not get a positive feeling about this. We were wondering if anyone else had done this and how it went.
Do you have the height in the battery compartment for 6V? The Omni does and part of my purchase agreement was 2 additional 6V batteries installed. They are FLA so I periodically will have to check the water. For me it's rather easy but I did have to loosen and reposition the "flow" of the cables to to have access to the caps. If you add 2 more GP27s likely you will be using 2 more marine batteries not true deep cycles.

When my FLA batteries die, I'll replace them with 4 6V AGM. The 6V are tight in the compartment but they do fit easily.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #3

Model: Omni SV34
State: Colorado
THOR #22921
Here are photos of four new Interstate 6V AGM batteries under the steps in our ‘22 Omni SV34. Tight fit for sure, but doable. Removed both factory-installed floated 6V Rocket batteries.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8604.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	32370

Name:	IMG_8605.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	32371
Old 07-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Just replaced our oem batteries this morning in 2016 Vegas. I measured and could have put 29dc instead of 27dc if I move the breaker assembly at back of rack. I did not since we rarely park without being plugged in. I doubt 4 of any type would fit unless very compact.

The oem batteries will be used in boat for starting engine and trolling motor. In 5 years we have owned this is maybe 3rd time they took a little water.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Two replies with owners of the Omni and one reply from a Vegas owner. I am guessing the Omni may have a more substantial battery tray than our Quantum. The Quantum is a gas chassis with only a 14,500 GVWR. Looks like the Omni is higher than that and a diesel. The Vegas might have a similar battery tray. We will have to do some measuring but just looking at the size of the opening for the ingress/egress of the batteries it will be a PIA just replacing the two factory installed batteries let alone adding two more. We were just curious if anyone with the Thor touted 4 battery tray on a 14,400 GVWR had actually added two more batteries and how it was done. In our opinion 4 batteries of any type in the tray we have is stretchy.
Bob Nodine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Sorry if I posted in wrong thread. When I heard batteries under steps, I was in process of swapping. The Vegas is on 14,500 gvwr e 450 chassis. We rarely depend of batteries other than when driving in cooler weather. The much maligned oem batteries have served us well and were replaced with walmart batteries. I had just bought a small boat and needed 2 batteries. So it was convienient to do now.

For testing of capacity purposes, we took oldest grandson up on blue ridge parkway one summer. I added a 650 watt invertef to allow him to watch tv/bluray/ ps4 while cruising in cooler weather. The battery indicator on rv would not drop from full (4 lights) for a little over 4 hours in 2016. Earlier this year was a little over 2 hours telling me it was time to consided change.

The design of battery holder would allow the slightly larger 29dc battery but I would have needed to more 12v breaker assembly and since unit has fit our needs as is. I saw little point in the effort. Cut up back of one hand putting retaining straps on as it was.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #7

Model: Quantum WS31
THOR #11466
Sorry for waking up a 2 year old post, but this is exactly what I want to do. My 2017 Quantum WS31, has a residential refrigerator. With only 2 batteries, they run down in 4-6 hours. Have been in 2 campgrounds, with a 12 hour quiet time, so that means, the refrigerator will be off for about 6 hours, and batteries, will be drained down, to 11.8V, and shortening their life. I won't even be able to start the generator, at that voltage, so I have to run the engine, to recharge the batteries, enough to start the generator. Not interested in the replies, who used 6V batteries.
After checking multiple sites, offering reviews on RV deep cycle batteries, I ordered 2 Mighty Max 12V 100ah, for $180 each. They have the smallest footprint of 12.09x6.65x8.48, so 4 might fit. Will move them around the tray, as a test, before I order, another 2 batteries.
The tray dimensions are 27+3.4" x 14+9/16", but looks like the 100 amp circuit breaker, would need relocating. I would love for that to be easier to access, as the LCI auto leveling system, often trips that breaker, when the ground is very unlevel, and it extends, past it's maximum point. I have had to crawl underneath the RV, to reset it, so many times, I wish it was easier to get to. Also found an article on Balanced Charging, showing to best way, to wire 4 batteries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Balanced Charging.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	40601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balanced Charging2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	40602  

Name:	Battery-Mighty Max.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	40603  
Old 02-12-2023, 08:17 PM   #8

THOR #25813
Did you have to make any modifications in the electrical system for the switch over. I have a 2022 Magnitude
Old 02-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #9

THOR #25813
Did switching to AGM require any changes to your OEM electrical systems?
Old 02-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by malodiver View Post
Did switching to AGM require any changes to your OEM electrical systems?
As answered in the other thread where you asked the question - no.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote