Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2023, 12:34 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #31088
AC/Heat Pump Questions

Made first trip in my new 2023 Geneva 31VA over the weekend. Turned the furnace to 67 at night. Batteries died overnight and generator kicked on. This started the front AC/Heat Pump in addition to the furnace. However the Heat Pump pushed out cold air. Temps at night were in the 40s. The thermostat only appears to heat/cool/fan/off. While it didn't make it unbearable in the rear bedroom. The main living area was chilly. Is the issue that it was too cold outside to get heat? If so, i would think I could turn off the heat pump and still run the furnace. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Additionally, I turned on the rear thermostat to see if it would be different. There I only showed heat Temps between approximately 28 and 32. That, I really didn't understand and just turned it back off. Any suggestions for this newbie to a motorized RV is appreciated!

Old 10-18-2023, 01:20 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rituals View Post
Made first trip in my new 2023 Geneva 31VA over the weekend. Turned the furnace to 67 at night. Batteries died overnight and generator kicked on. This started the front AC/Heat Pump in addition to the furnace. However the Heat Pump pushed out cold air. Temps at night were in the 40s. The thermostat only appears to heat/cool/fan/off. While it didn't make it unbearable in the rear bedroom. The main living area was chilly. Is the issue that it was too cold outside to get heat? If so, i would think I could turn off the heat pump and still run the furnace. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Additionally, I turned on the rear thermostat to see if it would be different. There I only showed heat Temps between approximately 28 and 32. That, I really didn't understand and just turned it back off. Any suggestions for this newbie to a motorized RV is appreciated!
Domentic, Coleman or SOB thermostat?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:58 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:

Heat pumps don't really work lower than mid 40s.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:02 AM   #4

THOR #31088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Domentic, Coleman or SOB thermostat?
Domentic
Old 10-18-2023, 02:03 AM   #5

THOR #31088
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Heat pumps don't really work lower than mid 40s.
Thank you. Is there a way to run only the furnace while on Generator or shore power?
Old 10-18-2023, 02:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First, heat pump is only good down to 45 degrees. Below 45 use the furnace.

Is this a thermostat or button temp sensors with automated control panel?

An automated control panel should have separate controls for the AC/Heat pump and the furnace. Turn off the AC units and turn on the furnace.

A thermostat should have a mode button to select the furnace. Make sure the fan is set to Auto otherwise cold air may blow out the AC vents while the furnace is running.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:34 AM   #7

THOR #31088
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
First, heat pump is only good down to 45 degrees. Below 45 use the furnace.

Is this a thermostat or button temp sensors with automated control panel?

An automated control panel should have separate controls for the AC/Heat pump and the furnace. Turn off the AC units and turn on the furnace.

A thermostat should have a mode button to select the furnace. Make sure the fan is set to Auto otherwise cold air may blow out the AC vents while the furnace is running.
Thank you. I will give your suggestions a try at my next opportunity. I recall the digital thermostat only said heat, cool, fan and off. On each, the fan speed said different things but I couldn't figure out how to change with only a mode and up/down button. The outside temp was most likely below 45. I didn't look at the owners manual and it said the unit would run when on shore or generator. It has no buttons accessible on the units visible from the inside. I read something about some thermostats having an auto mode but see nothing like this on mine.

My door handle also broke off this weekend, so I will also try to ask the dealer when they have parts to repair but thought I would try here since I have my last trip of the season planned for 2 weeks from now.

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I don't have more info to provide but I am new to this extra type of equipment and didn't know what to look for before I put the unit back into storage.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:35 AM   #8

THOR #31088
Quote:
Thank you. I will give your suggestions a try at my next opportunity. I recall the digital thermostat only said heat, cool, fan and off. On each, the fan speed said different things but I couldn't figure out how to change with only a mode and up/down button. The outside temp was most likely below 45. I didn't look at the owners manual and it said the unit would run when on shore or generator. It has no buttons accessible on the units visible from the inside. I read something about some thermostats having an auto mode but see nothing like this on mine.

My door handle also broke off this weekend, so I will also try to ask the dealer when they have parts to repair but thought I would try here since I have my last trip of the season planned for 2 weeks from now.

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I don't have more info to provide but I am new to this extra type of equipment and didn't know what to look for before I put the unit back into storage.
I did look at the owners manual. Darn autocorrect
Old 10-18-2023, 01:11 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
I did look at the owners manual. Darn autocorrect
We have the touchscreen: touch the furnace and it will have an orange background when activated. We then do the same for the heat pump to tun them off. We are going to ours today to clean up from last trip and take some pictures.
We also take a oil filled space heater when cold.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote