Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Pasadena
State: Florida
THOR #28099
Air system on S2RV Chassis

We just took delivery of a 2023 Pasadena Super-C. This rig rides on the Freightliner S2RV chassis, and has air suspension in the rear only.

One thing I've noticed is that the air system will go to zero PSI in a matter of only a few hours. This is different than my previous rig (on the XC chassis) that would hold pressure for a couple of days or more.

Is losing all air pressure in a few hours "normal" for this chassis? Or is this something I need to get looked at during my first service appointment next week?

Old 10-26-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Husband View Post
We just took delivery of a 2023 Pasadena Super-C. This rig rides on the Freightliner S2RV chassis, and has air suspension in the rear only.

One thing I've noticed is that the air system will go to zero PSI in a matter of only a few hours. This is different than my previous rig (on the XC chassis) that would hold pressure for a couple of days or more.

Is losing all air pressure in a few hours "normal" for this chassis? Or is this something I need to get looked at during my first service appointment next week?
Yes, especially after leveling because the bags will release air as the frame is raised.

I manually raise the rear twice to release all the air from the bags before auto leveling to keep the system from having to raise the front too high.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:33 AM   #3

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I have a Renegade Valencia on the S2RV chassis. There is no standard on that chassis concerning the air system. Yes rear air bags but the RV manufactureur puts on different features depending what they want to do. Renegade on the current Valencias puts an air dump switch to let air out of the bags for easier leveling. Other than run the engine and wait for pressure to rise, there's no way to inflate the bags like EA37TS has described what he can do. Mine do slowly leak down but not in a matter of hours like you describe. Driving, the brakes and suspension uses a lot of air and thus the compressor runs frequently. Does your Pasadena have a dump switch? Mine is on the right lower side of the dash just to the left of the door locks and to the right of the Equalizer leveling pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D766583-4FD3-4376-8408-BCB173D79919_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	39899  
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #4

THOR #28099
Yep -- My Pasadena chassis is a lot like your Valencia's. It, too, has an air dump switch on the dash that dumps the rear bags. And, like the Valencia, there's no way to re-inflate them but to run the engine and wait.

Even without dumping the air bags I've noticed that in around 4 hours the pressure in the system has gone to zero. And upon restart takes much longer than I'm familiar with to re-pressurize the system.

(From your photo it looks like the Valencia and the Pasadena share the exact same dash!)

Thanks for the information. I've got a service appointment next week and I'll add this "problem" to the punchlist.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
Yep -- My Pasadena chassis is a lot like your Valencia's. It, too, has an air dump switch on the dash that dumps the rear bags. And, like the Valencia, there's no way to re-inflate them but to run the engine and wait.

Even without dumping the air bags I've noticed that in around 4 hours the pressure in the system has gone to zero. And upon restart takes much longer than I'm familiar with to re-pressurize the system.

(From your photo it looks like the Valencia and the Pasadena share the exact same dash!)

Thanks for the information. I've got a service appointment next week and I'll add this "problem" to the punchlist.
When you look at the different S2RV models you'll note that switch positions and features are not set in stone. I moved a couple around when I added additional 12v UBS ports. Dash parts are easy to remove for access to do repairs and modifications.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
my tuscany is basically the same
i have a manual dump lever
if i press auto level, it will not dump the bags and then we have 4 feet of air from the bottom of the last step to the ground, well more like 1 foot
so i always dump .
and yes it takes a few minutes at start up to bring all the air back up
this does not dump air brake air and it usually stays full for about 5 days if we just sit

if it helps
Old 10-29-2022, 02:02 PM   #7

THOR #22586
I went out to move the RV this morning to drain the water and flush out the water heater. It's been sitting now for a month and the top air gauge a bit over 90 and the lower one around 10? Took a minute or two idling tops to fully fill the tanks, activate the purge valve and inflate the suspension. I assume your's also has the 2 gauges for the 2 tanks, primary and secondary. Do both tanks fully lose pressure or just one?
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-29-2022, 03:32 PM   #8

THOR #28099
Thanks, chunker21. This is a great comparison to my (now known) problem. And it comports with my experience on my previous coach, which would hold air for at least a couple of weeks after shutdown.

On my Pasadena, the upper and lower gauge both drop, almost in synchrony. Two hours after shutdown both are at about 50PSI. An hour later both are pretty much zero.

Also, on our maiden voyage yesterday I noticed that the compressor runs a LOT more frequently than any other rig I've driven. At least 3 or 4 times an hour it runs to the "PSSSSTTTTttttt." shutdown noise.

Clearly something's not right and I'll get this looked at next week.

Again, I appreciate your detailed experience so I can share this with the shop.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thanks, chunker21. This is a great comparison to my (now known) problem. And it comports with my experience on my previous coach, which would hold air for at least a couple of weeks after shutdown.

On my Pasadena, the upper and lower gauge both drop, almost in synchrony. Two hours after shutdown both are at about 50PSI. An hour later both are pretty much zero.

Also, on our maiden voyage yesterday I noticed that the compressor runs a LOT more frequently than any other rig I've driven. At least 3 or 4 times an hour it runs to the "PSSSSTTTTttttt." shutdown noise.

Clearly something's not right and I'll get this looked at next week.

Again, I appreciate your detailed experience so I can share this with the shop.
That's normal. After I parked it back under the pole barn I shut it down but didn't level or dump the rear. I'll give it 24 hours and let you know where the pressures are. I also thought it seemed to run a lot. I previously had a DP on the FL XC chassis, Itasca Horizon. BUT the engine, compressor and dryer were all at the rear so it wasn't something you could readily hear.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #10

THOR #28099
Thanks! Can't wait to hear your findings.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:43 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Same issue with my Renegade. Secondary tank seems to lose air more that primary while driving

I called frieghtliner they said it sounded normal. Also said dropping 3psi per hour is within limits. Sounds like yours is losing more. It takes a couple days for mine to empty out cometely

I took it to my local frieghtliner dealer. They checked the entire system and said all was good. So it just might he the air system they put on the s2rv

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #12

THOR #28099
Thanks, halfprice. 3PSI/hour or less loss would be about what my experience would be with other air systems. Mine's more like 3PSI/minute.

Gotta get this fixed!

I appreciate your input; thank you!
Old 10-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thanks, halfprice. 3PSI/hour or less loss would be about what my experience would be with other air systems. Mine's more like 3PSI/minute.

Gotta get this fixed!

I appreciate your input; thank you!
In a few hours I'll give my 24hour report but in the interim, or even you next step, try to find a leak yourself. Are you parked on a concrete surface that you can roll around under on a creeper? With a full system listen carefully at all user elements, brakes, air bags, manifolds. If you can get a hearing amplifier that might help. A spray bottle of a dawn/water mixture to look for bubbling. Yesterday after a few hours the rear suspension was still aired up but I didn't look at there gauges. In 3 hours I'll do that and be back.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thanks! Can't wait to hear your findings.
After 24 hours both gauges are at 100psi. As I recall they both were around 135, the interim tic mark below the 150 mark. Emergency park brake set, not dumped or leveled and leaving brakes alone. Later today I'm going to go ahead and dump the rear and put the jacks down. If anything noteworthy from that I'll let you know. You definitely have a leak someplace, just the problem if finding it if it's slow. Try what I said above for peace of mind.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-30-2022, 05:57 PM   #15

THOR #28099
That settles it: To the shop it goes. I did slide under and try to listen for leaks. I heard at least a couple of them. So one thing's for certain: It's not a *slow* leak. ;-)

I'm ordinarily a hands-on, grease-under-the-fingernails kind of guy, but the rig is a week old and I'm gonna let the dealership deal with this problem. I don't feel like messing with it.

I appreciate your input. It confirms my experience with other Freightliner chassis systems; I shouldn't expect anything radically different on the S2RV.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
That settles it: To the shop it goes. I did slide under and try to listen for leaks. I heard at least a couple of them. So one thing's for certain: It's not a *slow* leak. ;-)

I'm ordinarily a hands-on, grease-under-the-fingernails kind of guy, but the rig is a week old and I'm gonna let the dealership deal with this problem. I don't feel like messing with it.

I appreciate your input. It confirms my experience with other Freightliner chassis systems; I shouldn't expect anything radically different on the S2RV.
I just checked today again. I didn't dump the suspension or level it since I'm parked on a level pad and not doing anything with it. Both gauges at 85. When you heard the leaks were they something like a fitting you could tighten. For me anytime I can avoid a dealer of any type is a good day.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #17

THOR #28099
Thanks for the data point.

I'm with you; I 'bout hate taking anything anywhere to be fixed but, in this case, it can't be avoided. We took delivery less than 2 weeks ago and I've got a punch list of a half dozen things that need attention under warranty. So it's going, one way or the other.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #18

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thanks for the data point.

I'm with you; I 'bout hate taking anything anywhere to be fixed but, in this case, it can't be avoided. We took delivery less than 2 weeks ago and I've got a punch list of a half dozen things that need attention under warranty. So it's going, one way or the other.
Where are you going to take it? I ask that question because Freightliner won't touch house issues and dealer won't touch chassis issues. That situation isn't a thor manufactured issue, it's all the manufacturers. The problem now is that your chassis left Freightliner, went to MORryde for modifications, then to thor to have the house put on. Between the 3 institutions there now is that grey area of responsibility. In my opinion that's why selecting an RV manufacturer that properly builds RVs is extremely important even if the cost is a few $$$ more. Thor isn't on that list.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #19

THOR #28099
I couldn't agree more with your conclusions. This isn't our first RV and we've experienced, first-hand, all the challenges you describe.

But I'm taking it to the selling dealership to (at least) get the warranty issues documented.

Later this fall we're planning a trip, Florida to Virginia, to visit family and I'm already planning a stopover in Gaffney for a couple of chassis issues. (Example: The steering wheel is at around 2 o'clock going straight down the road. Gaffney gave me the best alignment of my life in our last rig, so...)

Problem down here in south Florida is that the Freightliner shops are all under the "Southport Truck Circle" banner and they must have a special hiring program for mentally deficient employees. After a couple of tough lessons learned I have decided I'll NEVER take anything there for repair ever again.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #20

THOR #22586
Quote:
I couldn't agree more with your conclusions. This isn't our first RV and we've experienced, first-hand, all the challenges you describe.

But I'm taking it to the selling dealership to (at least) get the warranty issues documented.

Later this fall we're planning a trip, Florida to Virginia, to visit family and I'm already planning a stopover in Gaffney for a couple of chassis issues. (Example: The steering wheel is at around 2 o'clock going straight down the road. Gaffney gave me the best alignment of my life in our last rig, so...)

Problem down here in south Florida is that the Freightliner shops are all under the "Southport Truck Circle" banner and they must have a special hiring program for mentally deficient employees. After a couple of tough lessons learned I have decided I'll NEVER take anything there for repair ever again.
Good plan.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ