Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #23350
rv manual awning vs electric - Fragile????

Ok specifically my 1998 fleetwood flair class A had a bullet proof manual awning that I never worried about wind. Now my class C has electric awning and all I read is "NEVER LEAVE IT OUT UNATTENDED" or damage will certainly occur.
Just wondering what everyone experience is. I have awning lights I would put up in the track of the cross tube but not sure now if I can if I have to retract the awning for every breeze.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I've never seen a "bulletproof" awning.

Manual awnings had a triangular end frame structure which is more durable than any electric awning, and if you added tie-down straps at the end it could hold up to quite a blow.

Electric awnings fall into two categories:

A semi-rigid design which has support arms and can handle a mild blow, and

An armless design which is very fragile in any blow and will normally roll themselves up automatically if blown around too much.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy64 View Post
Ok specifically my 1998 fleetwood flair class A had a bullet proof manual awning that I never worried about wind. Now my class C has electric awning and all I read is "NEVER LEAVE IT OUT UNATTENDED" or damage will certainly occur.
Just wondering what everyone experience is. I have awning lights I would put up in the track of the cross tube but not sure now if I can if I have to retract the awning for every breeze.
Since there are about 40 different types and 4 patio awnings makers, it would be helpful to know what is the brand name and type. My coach has a CofC Latitude which has a motion sensor and will retract before significant wind damage (thunder storms excepted).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
The wind sensors, if they work, detect what is happening right now, not what it's going to do. A thunderstorm can have winds easily over 40-50 kts which will destroy even anchored awnings. Never happened to me but I have seen several examples in parks after a storm. Even if you are sitting there with your finger the retract button, you won't be able to retract the awning in time to prevent damage from a gust front.

My practice is always retract if the are leaving, at night if ANY chance of showers, and when storms are predicted and can be seen. The last situation requires being very weather aware.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote