Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2023, 09:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #27275
Propane tank gauge accuracy issue

I’m having issues with my propane tank guage and don’t trust its accuracy. The reading drops as I use propane however when filling it takes forever to register a reading and sometimes doesn’t change at all. My tank is permanently mounted horizontally. Anyone else have the same problem how did you fix it?

Old 01-30-2023, 10:33 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Lot of variables here

You can take off the magnetic pickup and see if the tank float gauge is reading correct after you have filled the tank and by feeling the tank to get the level.

If it is close, you can work with the sender and receiver to determine the issue.

If the tank float is compromised, then that is a bit larger problem and requires emptying the tank.

Since it is intermittent it could be either issue.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:39 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Are you referring to the gauge on the actual tank itself or the reading from inside the coach on the panel(s)?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:59 PM   #4

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperOne View Post
I’m having issues with my propane tank guage and don’t trust its accuracy. The reading drops as I use propane however when filling it takes forever to register a reading and sometimes doesn’t change at all. My tank is permanently mounted horizontally. Anyone else have the same problem how did you fix it?
My experience is that you would be very fortunate to have +/- 20% accuracy on a propane tank gauge. A lot of this is due to the expansion and contraction of the liquid as the ambient temperature changes. Not only do you have to deal with the diurnal and seasonal change in ambient, you have to contend with roadway heating of the tank. On a Class C with the horizontal tank mounted close to the asphalt, a tank that read 100% when you started the travel day might read 115% when you make a stop. Another factor is the type of gauge used. The Manchester horizontal 12 gallon propane tank that you probably have uses a float to move a potentiometer and a needle pointer as the liquid level inside the tank changes. It is possible to move the face of the gauge to change the percentage reading but keep in mind influence of the temperature and the level of the motorhome on the reading. A Class C motorhome with a horizonal tank mounted front to back will see a significant change in the reading based on the level of the motorhome. The Manchester horizontal tank has the gauge float mounted near the left end of the tank as you face it. If after you fill the tank the reading does not change the float could be sticking.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Your gauges both should read around 80% when full

Some like the 80% tank level to show 100%, most prefer actual level

Liquid volume will barely see any changes due to temperature since it is compressed

Pressure will follow the vapor pressure charts
Old 01-31-2023, 08:07 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When I got my first RV that had gauges for the fresh water, grey and black water and propane I was constantly monitoring them and sweating about what they said. I seemed to forget that my previous RVs didn't have those gauges and I just went by experience for normal use of consumables like propane and water. I know that when my fresh water tank is empty, usually 5 or 6 days, I have to empty my waste tanks and fill fresh. I don't camp much in cold weather so for propane, I need to fill it every spring and it lasts for a year. What I'm saying is the gauges installed in a recreation vehicle are not engineered and designed for use by NASA. They are little more than idiot lights. Experimentation with your normal use will give you a baseline for consumables and then you can get on to having fun.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Wut El Tee said.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote