Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2022, 10:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #26627
Auto leveling options for 22E-Reccomendations

I am looking for a good auto leveling option for a FourWinds 22E 2017.

We do a lot of short stays (1-2days) and I really get over rolling around on the ground jacking and setting up ramps etc.

I see there are a lot of electric options for 5th wheels. And hydraulic options for big RVs. But what about 'small' 22ft RVs?

Does the 22E have mounting points for leveling? There are a bunch of mounting holes around the frame but nothing looks like its dedicated to that (unlike 5th wheels ive seen). Or are you expected to have plates welded on?

These look like a possible option and reasonably priced.
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack.../LC358590.html

Old 12-14-2022, 11:04 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Kind of a short two weeks ahead of us to get anything done or even get answers, but…
- call BigFoot and ask for their recommendation

They are the most affordable. And many E350 & E450 chassis use them. I’m guessing you can get set-up for under $4k. (Prices are up everywhere)
Here’s their website:
The Official Website for Bigfoot© Hydraulic Leveling Systems

Also, you can get an estimate from Camping World. That will at least give you an expensive option. They tend to use HWH and would cost in the $6k range.
Probably best to go to a CW and walk thru it at the service counter.

Finally, go to your local RV dealer and walk thru your options with them for another estimate.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I had Big Foot Platinum (no auto leveling) installed on our E-350 24F at their White Pigeon MI HQ. It was just over $3k.

After hearing stories about how jerky some of the auto-leveling systems are, I'm glad I didn't drop the extra cash for that option. Takes 5 minutes and I have complete control of how high I lift the RV.

Big foot welds the hydraulic bracket mounts to the frame. Then the jacks are bolted to the brackets. Sturdy, professional and works perfectly.

Big Foot used to have December specials... but those may have gone away.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:52 PM   #4

THOR #26627
Great thankyou very much. That looks like a good option. Ill reach out to them and see if a bolt on option is going to work.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:54 PM   #5

THOR #26627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I had Big Foot Platinum (no auto leveling) installed on our E-350 24F at their White Pigeon MI HQ. It was just over $3k.

After hearing stories about how jerky some of the auto-leveling systems are, I'm glad I didn't drop the extra cash for that option. Takes 5 minutes and I have complete control of how high I lift the RV.

Big foot welds the hydraulic bracket mounts to the frame. Then the jacks are bolted to the brackets. Sturdy, professional and works perfectly.

Big Foot used to have December specials... but those may have gone away.
Thats what I was wondering after looking at them. Autolevel or manual. Thanks for the info. Id really like a bolt on option so I dont have to send the RV away. Unless the have a SoCal dealer/installer.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by not-a-number View Post
Thats what I was wondering after looking at them. Autolevel or manual. Thanks for the info. Id really like a bolt on option so I dont have to send the RV away. Unless the have a SoCal dealer/installer.
Jerky auto level is based on the system itself. My EQ Smart Level system is smooth and I wouldn’t dream of manually leveling the rig.

Do the research
Old 12-15-2022, 12:21 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
You have several companies to choose from. The Equalizer System, Big Foot System, HWH System and Lippert System. When I had our Class C built on a MB Sprinter chassis and I had The Equalizer System installed and it worked great. We now have a 2022 Thor Miramar that came with the Lippert System and it too works great. I have heard that the Big Foot System may be the least expensive option. I paid over $6,000 for The Equalizer System when we had the Class C MB Sprinter coach.

Paul
Old 12-15-2022, 12:23 AM   #8

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I got rid of my 450 because it didn't have jacks. The motorhome I have now can be auto leveled or manual, the manual is just like auto level. Auto level the motorhome keeps moving till it gets itself level. My wife does manual and it's quicker. She turns it on, pushes the front and back until the control pad says its level, then she does side to side till the panel says it's level. On automatic it bounces all over. If you get a manual you will need a tool like EA37TS has
Old 12-15-2022, 12:48 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
My control panel is mounted near the door. I mounted and calibrated a simple round bubble level on the floor ledge by the steps. I just plop down on the step and go to work on the buttons until the bubble centers.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I got rid of my 450 because it didn't have jacks. The motorhome I have now can be auto leveled or manual, the manual is just like auto level. Auto level the motorhome keeps moving till it gets itself level. My wife does manual and it's quicker. She turns it on, pushes the front and back until the control pad says its level, then she does side to side till the panel says it's level. On automatic it bounces all over. If you get a manual you will need a tool like EA37TS has
My tool isn’t a tool, it’s the Equalizer Smart Level hydraulic leveling jacks. It is nice that it is Bluetooth and I can use my cell phone to have the system auto level while I am connecting electric, sewer and water.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:44 AM   #11

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My tool isn’t a tool, it’s the Equalizer Smart Level hydraulic leveling jacks. It is nice that it is Bluetooth and I can use my cell phone to have the system auto level while I am connecting electric, sewer and water.
So yours doesn't go higher then needed on auto level compared to doing it manually? That would be nice. It's the wife's job while I do the sewer/power to level and put out the slides
Old 01-24-2023, 04:47 AM   #12

THOR #26627
I ended up going for the Bigfoot Autoleveling. They were the most responsive and helpful with all my questions. Seems like a good system too, says the internet!

I ordered on 3rd Jan with a 4-5week leadtime and it turned up on the 18th Jan!

Total $4k ($500 was shipping!!)

Time to install it.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:03 AM   #13

THOR #13362
Quote:
I ended up going for the Bigfoot Autoleveling. They were the most responsive and helpful with all my questions. Seems like a good system too, says the internet!

I ordered on 3rd Jan with a 4-5week leadtime and it turned up on the 18th Jan!

Total $4k ($500 was shipping!!)

Time to install it.
Amazing how much everything has increased in price (like a dozen eggs! Ha)
In 2018 I remember many on the Forum posting that the BigFoot system was $2500, and if you drove to the BigFoot plant, they would install for as little as $300.

Glad you got what you wanted.
Good luck with the install.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:51 AM   #14

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I did not have a great experience with Bigfoot, was told they could install on my Compass but when I arrived at their site was told that they could not do it due to the structure of the Ford Transit chassis. Next day I called EQ and they said bring it over and they would look at it, long story short they could install the levelers and could do it the next day.
Very pleased with the job and how the people at EQ were in keeping us informed during the install, and he kicker was it was $500 cheaper than Bigfoot. They work great and would recommend them in a heartbeat
Coveman2
Old 01-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Kind of a short two weeks ahead of us to get anything done or even get answers, but…
- call BigFoot and ask for their recommendation

They are the most affordable. And many E350 & E450 chassis use them. I’m guessing you can get set-up for under $4k. (Prices are up everywhere)
Here’s their website:
The Official Website for Bigfoot© Hydraulic Leveling Systems

Also, you can get an estimate from Camping World. That will at least give you an expensive option. They tend to use HWH and would cost in the $6k range.
Probably best to go to a CW and walk thru it at the service counter.

Finally, go to your local RV dealer and walk thru your options with them for another estimate.
Two votes on Bigfoot. I reached out to them for options on our new 25 footer. He offered me 3 option...fully auto with manual, semi auto and a totally manual system. I never use auto so the 3rd one is my choice. Waiting on pricing now and they have a factory install center in central Florida.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:56 AM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Two votes on Bigfoot. I reached out to them for options on our new 25 footer. He offered me 3 option...fully auto with manual, semi auto and a totally manual system. I never use auto so the 3rd one is my choice. Waiting on pricing now and they have a factory install center in central Florida.
So you don't have to drive to beautiful White Pigeon Michigan in January or February and get to stay in sunny Florida for an install? Where's the fun in that!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #17

Model: ACE 29G
THOR #28393
Curious....where did they install the hydraulic pump?
Old 01-25-2023, 03:41 PM   #18

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
So yours doesn't go higher then needed on auto level compared to doing it manually? That would be nice. It's the wife's job while I do the sewer/power to level and put out the slides
I have the EQ system on my Renegade and it's smooth just tends to overshoot what's necessary or desirable to stabilize and level. Yes I have set the null a couple times but as also was stated, manual works quickly and efficiently. The HWH on my Itasca DP and the Levelup on my Raptor toy hauler, had good auto level action. The omni with ultra level was the worst and frankly almost violent in action. Regardless of auto or manual, especially auto, it's important to not be moving around in the RV because that screws with the sensors.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:41 PM   #19

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvman12 View Post
Curious....where did they install the hydraulic pump?
On my E450, the HWH pump & Hydraulic fluid holding tank is 3’ to the rear of the entry steps (toward middle of chassis, behind the two storage lockers).
Old 01-25-2023, 05:39 PM   #20

Model: ACE 29G
THOR #28393
Can you access the pump from the storage bay or do you need to get under coach?

Picture?