Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
My problem still isn't resolved. I got a new control module from Thor, but it did not correct the problem. I took my RV to a Thor dealer to get this and another warranty item resolved. They think it's a wiring problem, but they haven't isolated it. They are waiting for Thor approval for the warranty work, and I'm hoping to bring it back in 2 or 3 weeks.

I checked voltages and power is getting to the pump motor and solenoid, and the ground connections are good.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #22

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
ok

now, going back to the original issue - is it one of not being able to use the system when you want to, or is it more of an 'annoyance' ?

I find that mine quite often shows 'low voltage', and yet in Manual mode it continues normal operation. I suppose you can vote to always expect to be able to 'auto level', but apparently a sensor is not reading your battery voltage correctly, or the sensor level is set too high for average/normal use, which shouldn't be higher than 12.0 volts, since many times your batteries can easily be below that threshold when you are trying to level, or unlevel... Now, below 11.5? yes, you could probably draw the batteries down too low, but using the AUX or EmergencyStart button while you level is a simple way to overcome 'low battery voltage' on either the Chassis or House batteries.

My understanding about this message is that the manufacturer wants to alert the user that the batteries may not have enough 'charge'(juice) to fully implement the action. I doubt, though, in most circumstances when this message is relayed that the batteries are really 'too low', but it's just a protection message for the user, though an annoyance when it seems to be the 'norm'.

I'm probably going over things you already know and have tried, but it's just some thoughts... : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #23

THOR #5837
Mine doesn’t operate at all, even in manual mode. It failed with one jack down and I used the emergency procedure of spinning the pump motor with a drill to raise it so I could drive the RV.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would only be able to offer another option, which is a possible buss fuse has tripped, usually located next to the batteries, maybe on the wall, but it provides the pass thru of power from the house batteries to the hydraulics, and the 'yellow' flag, if protruding, means no power to the legs.

I'm sure that CW checked that, though, at least I would assume they would.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New Jersey
THOR #11681
Angry

Thank you Turner Fam - I did actually check all the breakers under the hood, the battery compartment, the GFI"s, I even went under the bed and checked all the wiring and the inverter. I am sure it is the disconnect/store switch - we will know I hope next week. No vacation w/no RV
2014 Can Am
Bottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:13 AM   #26

State: Texas
THOR #3261
I always run the jacks with the vehicle motor idling. I get that error for a few seconds when i first turn on the controller, but it quickly passes. I think it needs to sense the additional voltage of the alternator charging the coach batteries.

Of course once im leveled i have to shut down the motor and remove the keys from the ignition before the slides will work.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I always run the jacks with the vehicle motor idling. I get that error for a few seconds when i first turn on the controller, but it quickly passes. I think it needs to sense the additional voltage of the alternator charging the coach batteries.

Of course once im leveled i have to shut down the motor and remove the keys from the ignition before the slides will work.
That's the required procedure. You get the low voltage condition unless the sensed voltage is above 12.7 VDC. The manufacturer wants the voltage to be up to lower the current draw through the motor. For the same work; the lower the voltage the higher the current will be which is detrimental to the motor's brushes and commutator.

You start the engine to get the alternator charging voltage applied to the house batteries. If that cross-connect system is not working for any reason then you will get the low voltage alarm. Test this by putting a battery charger on the house batteries, starting the engine and trying to level. If no alarm you know where to look next. If you still get the alarm then you have an issue in the voltage sensing circuit/wires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #28

THOR #11681
Low

Hello Thor Forums and all the great people!!
Just wanted to let you know we are up an running for right now. We had a Low Voltage error on the LCI leveling jacks and have done everything that all you peeps have listed. My wife finally found the thread that advised to unplug the wireless system from the battery box (Windsport 29M) for at least 1 hour. Wife did it for 3; low an behold the leveling jack are working. We are on another maiden voyage to Delaware river PA side with the toad - first time we have been able to pull the toad since we got it. WOW you people are awesome. A big thank you!!!!!!! On the road again (for now) God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014 Can Am
Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #29

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottman View Post
Hello Thor Forums and all the great people!!
Just wanted to let you know we are up an running for right now. We had a Low Voltage error on the LCI leveling jacks and have done everything that all you peeps have listed. My wife finally found the thread that advised to unplug the wireless system from the battery box (Windsport 29M) for at least 1 hour. Wife did it for 3; low an behold the leveling jack are working. We are on another maiden voyage to Delaware river PA side with the toad - first time we have been able to pull the toad since we got it. WOW you people are awesome. A big thank you!!!!!!! On the road again (for now) God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what "unplug the wireless system from the battery box" means. My leveling system is not wireless. I tripped the buss breaker to remove power to the leveling system, and also disconnected the vehicle battery for a few hours, but when I reapplied power the problem was still there.

I've tried everything I could think of, including replacing the main control module, but I still get the low voltage error and cannot operate my leveling jacks at all.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #30

THOR #11681
Low voltage Error

I have a 17 Windsport 29M with the LCI leveling jacks. The main controller is in the battery compartment on the ceiling. there is a control panel with wires. There is a plug with red & white wire coming from the center of the panel. I unplugged that wire, left it for a couple of hours and returned to plug it back in and they have worked ever since. Not sure what type of jack you have, also I have seen posts regarding a issue in the lines and people have traced back to something rubbing against the wires. I also found a buss breaker in the engine compartment; I also tripped that one as well. I wish you the best of luck, it is very frustrating. We are no taking our vehicle back to CW for they are a joke. We will try to fix it ourselves before we take it to another shop. Again good luck!!
2014 Can Am
Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
After much research, here is how MY leveling system reacts. Power on to the controller and panel comes through a five amp fuse from the chassis battery. The fuse is in the fuse panel by the drivers left foot. Power to this fuse panel comes through the 100 amp circuit breaker located by the chassis battery. The controller wants to see at least 13.5 volts from this battery (engine running) or you will get a low voltage warning. The controller will still work in the manual mode if the voltage is above 11.9 volts. Power to run the electric jack pump comes from the house battery(s) through a 100 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. The controller expects to see 12.7 volts on this line indicating the batteries are fully charged and the relay connecting the alternator to the house batteries is energized. This is why you should wait 2 minutes after starting the engine before energizing the control panel. Again, the system should still work in the manual mode even though low voltage is displayed. If you release the parking brake, all safety checks are bypassed and the jacks should retract even thought the pump system may be damaged by low battery voltage. I hope this helps with some understanding.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #32

THOR #11681
Low voltage Error

jabrabu -
Here is a photo of the control panel in my battery box. I disconnected the large plug (red and white wire) by itself for at least 2 hours. Once I put it back jacks were working. Hope this helps.
2014 Can Am
Old 06-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #33
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottman View Post
jabrabu -
Here is a photo of the control panel in my battery box. I disconnected the large plug (red and white wire) by itself for at least 2 hours. Once I put it back jacks were working. Hope this helps.
No photo
Old 06-27-2018, 03:13 AM   #34

THOR #11681
Low voltage Error

Sorry about the no photo, let me try again
Attached Images

2014 Can Am
Old 06-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Just had mine replaced, got a low voltage error that wouldn’t clear and than keybpad went blank. Checked power in from chassis and house batteries both reading over 13v but no power coming out of controller. $250 plus $125 labor covered under extended warranty.

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #36

THOR #5837
I tried disconnecting that plug, but it didn't fix the error. I even replaced the entire control module. I also tried tripping the buss breaker and disconnected the vehicle battery for hours, but still no luck. I also replaced all the fuses on the relay board under the bed. I'm getting good voltage readings at the pump motor and solenoid, so I don't know why it's giving me the low voltage error.

I'm taking it to a shop today for troubleshooting.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #37

THOR #5837
The levelers "low voltage" error is finally resolved. It turned out to be some wiring/grounding connections from the battery. I had already removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the wires to/from the pump motor, and I was getting good voltage readings at the pump, but when the pump was started the voltage would drop, indicating a high resistance connection somewhere.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #38

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
YOu mean that the house batteries have a function for the leveling system? I talked to Thor yesterday and was told that the chassis battery is the only one that effects leveling and the house batts have no function. I am running into a problem with low voltage as well in auto level and can't seem to get the volts above 12.5. But your research told you that the house batts can have something to do with running the jack pump?
Old 09-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #39
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
YOu mean that the house batteries have a function for the leveling system? I talked to Thor yesterday and was told that the chassis battery is the only one that effects leveling and the house batts have no function. I am running into a problem with low voltage as well in auto level and can't seem to get the volts above 12.5. But your research told you that the house batts can have something to do with running the jack pump?
The house batteries are the source of energy for running the pump and control panel The pump complex even has its own cable directly from the house batteries (through a 100 Amp DC breaker).
Old 09-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Did you read post #31 on this thread?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote