Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
THOR #24507
Automatic Leveling Jacks with Touchpad Controls IPO Electric Rear Jacks Offered on 22

Are these jacks only on the rear? Are they electric instead of hydraulic? I thought some of you might know. I only have rear stabilizers on my 2022 Delano. I am thinking about removing them and putting on some type of auto levering jacks. What weight would they add if you remove the stabilizers and install the auto level jacks?

Old 11-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemcb View Post
Are these jacks only on the rear? Are they electric instead of hydraulic? I thought some of you might know. I only have rear stabilizers on my 2022 Delano. I am thinking about removing them and putting on some type of auto levering jacks. What weight would they add if you remove the stabilizers and install the auto level jacks?
Find out which ones you would like to install, then call the company and they can give you the exact weight of the system.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You have 3 choices of hydraulic leveler systems for your coach. HWH System, The Equalizer System and The Big Foot System. You can go online or call each one to determine the weight of each system.

Paul
Old 11-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
My coach came new with only the electric scissor type stabilizer jacks at the rear. I had the Big Foot system installed this past spring. I chose to leave the (now unnecessary) stabilizer jacks there - because it's a PIA to remove them, and they don't interfere with the new hydraulic levelers.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I had the same rear electric stabilizers on my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. I had The Equalizer Hydraulic Levelers installed and left the stabilizers in place.

Paul
Old 11-09-2021, 02:43 AM   #6

THOR #24507
How much extra weight are the stabilizers adding? I have 942 pounds to play with.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:08 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
I considered removing mine, but a couple of the mounting bolts were Uber tight. I couldn't get them loose without a breaker bar, so I left it for a later project. I'm guessing the whole assembly weighs 50 to 75#? Just a guess though...
Old 11-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #8

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
How much extra weight are the stabilizers adding? I have 942 pounds to play with.

I recently had the Bigfoot hydraulic levelers installed on my Thor Mercedes based RV. I was told that they add between 160 and 180lbs. I am planning on having the rear stabilizers removed after I am able to ascertain how unplugging them will effect the" ignition-on when deployed" buzzer. I have been told the stabilizers are around 80lbs. I must add the disclaimer that none of these weight estimates are my own as I had Bigfoot do the install and have yet to remove the stabilizers.

Because weight is a concern on these Thor MB units, I am concerned about leaving the stabilizers in place. I travel solo, don't do much boon docking, and, consequently, try not to fill the fresh water tank completely. I have also put my storage compartments on a diet and carry only the essentials. I even removed the over the cab opening cover/mattress and ladder as I do not use it for sleeping. Weight is a concern for every manufacturer's MB-based class Cs and it is easy to overload all the storage compartments in excess of the GVW. Note: My toad is a Chevy Spark at 2200lbs and I can use that for carrying some weighty items.

For the record, the levelers were the best investment I have made for the RV. I just push a button and all is level and stabilized in less than 3 minutes. No more boards or legos!
Old 11-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #9

THOR #24507
Thanks for your info. I appreciate your input. The stabilizers are really dead weight after levelers are installed. It should be easy to find the physical switch to the stabilizers in the back and bypass it. Removing them would help offset the levelers extra weight. I suspect most people are definitely overloading the sprinter chassis and do not even know it. I need to weight my unit also as I am probably very close with 942 pounds to play with. I do not carry much water usually less than 10 gallons (still 80 pounds). Put 2 people in and that leaves maybe 450-475 pounds. I carry 2 E- bikes (150 pounds with the rack). That leaves 300-325 pounds for clothes, food, towels, lawn chairs, tools, electrical cord and water hose etc. it goes quick. Take another 150 pounds off for levelers and you are now easily overloaded. Oh I forgot the beagle (30 Pounds) !����
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #10

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
I suspect most people are definitely overloading the sprinter chassis and do not even know it.

I know of at least one other Mercedes-based Class C that has less than 600lbs of carrying capacity. In that case, overloading is inevitable!

I can't help but wonder if a lot of 1st time RV buyers looking at these smaller RVs - not just the Sprinter - even consider the amount of passengers, cargo and water these can carry.

And then there is combined capacity (towing)! I have read posts asking if these RVs can tow their F150/Ram/Silverado.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #11

Model: Quantrum RC25
THOR #14016
I installed the Big Foot Auto Leveling System on my RC25. I disconnected, removed, and sold the stablelizers on Craig's list. I had to hire a mechanic to remove the stabilizer because the grey tank was installed after the stablizer. Stabilizer weighs at least 75 lbs. No beeps or alarms after they were disconnected.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junodtim View Post
I installed the Big Foot Auto Leveling System on my RC25. I disconnected, removed, and sold the stablelizers on Craig's list. I had to hire a mechanic to remove the stabilizer because the grey tank was installed after the stablizer. Stabilizer weighs at least 75 lbs. No beeps or alarms after they were disconnected.
I’m not a fan of stabilizers on a Motorhome
They work well for low-end travel trailers, but I would not order them as an extra on a Motorhome
Save the $ for aftermarket levelers (if they’re not included as OEM)
Old 11-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

THOR #24507
Great idea about selling them on Craig’s List. Do you mind telling us what they should sell for. I sure would not have any other use for them. I thought maybe the shipping of them might be prohibitive. Are most of you bolting them on like they come or having them welded to the frame ? Hoping to find a reasonable place to buy and get them installed. La Mesa wanted $7K and I of course said no thank you. Maybe SW Fl. is not a good place to have them done. I would like to get them done this winter after I get all of the “new” RV issues repaired , replaced or redone.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
They're not inexpensive, but you can do a lot better than $7K.

BigFoot: Install at the factory in MI. They have electric hookups for overnighting on site. I did this and had a good experience. They usually offer a discount on installation if you have it done during the winter months. (For obvious reasons.)

HWH: Many people do this at their location in IA. I don't know the details of how that works though.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #15

THOR #24507
Nice idea. Of course you are in Ohio so it is a short trip. Fl. To Mich. Not so short! But maybe a beautiful time to enjoy the winter wonderland state. (born and raised in Mich.). A nice blizzard could test the heating system out throughly. Will call them and check out pricing. Anyone else out there made any good deals?
Old 11-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #16
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My coach came new with only the electric scissor type stabilizer jacks at the rear. I had the Big Foot system installed this past spring. I chose to leave the (now unnecessary) stabilizer jacks there - because it's a PIA to remove them, and they don't interfere with the new hydraulic levelers.
Just an FYI.
I did the same as you. I also had my stabilizers repairs under warranty. They said they were bent. Did not know how because I could not use them.
Come to find out that when and if I bottom out the rear end it will hit the stabilizers before it ever gets a chance to hit those v shaped bumpers they weld underneath as a hitting point.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:09 AM   #17

THOR #24507
FYI. Called Big Foot today . They said no winter specials. $4500 installed. No welding allowed on sprinter chassis. They said their units weigh about 170 pounds. They will remove the stabilizers for $100. He said they weigh about 80 pounds.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:25 AM   #18

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Lippert Ultra Level. Do NOT put these on no matter how cheap or easy. Poor system.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #19

THOR #24507
Called Bigfoot in Lakeland. Cost down here is $6000. Anyone else have any better pricing here in Florida? Everything has gone crazy now with pricing.