Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Minnesota
THOR #19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybatty View Post
I’ve lived in many cities for many years with a car and a license the whole time. The difference is I’ve never driven a 25 foot long, 8 foot wide vehicle with bad visibility.
I think my 24.1 has great visibility. With the huge front window, rear & side cameras, and great mirrors which helps me see all my blind spots. To me it has better visibility then the school buses I used the drive. And trust me those, bus companies are all about safety, seeing everything, and being seen.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Your School buses also had more distractions in them; than you would ever face in an RV!
Old 12-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #23

THOR #19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Your School buses also had more distractions in them; than you would ever face in an RV!
You know I think your right, I do miss all those screaming kids on the bus: NOT.

I think the driving visibility on my Tiny Home, as we call it, a huge step up from a school bus.

Also it's built on a F450 platform, so for me it's more like a very big truck with great side and rear cameras for helping me see those distracted drivers.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
You know I think your right, I do miss all those screaming kids on the bus: NOT.

I think the driving visibility on my Tiny Home, as we call it, a huge step up from a school bus.

Also it's built on a F450 platform, so for me it's more like a very big truck with great side and rear cameras for helping me see those distracted drivers.
Technically the Axis is built on the Econline Van platform and thus is called E-Series or E-350 or E-450 (depending on floorplan and model year).

F450 would be the pickup platform.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #25

THOR #19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Technically the Axis is built on the Econline Van platform and thus is called E-Series or E-350 or E-450 (depending on floorplan and model year).

F450 would be the pickup platform.
Thanks for that insight tho I know for sure that it was on this forum that I first heard someone talk about the F-450 platform. Whether my 2016 Vegas 24.1 is built on an E-450 or F-450 it's all good. I'm loving it's on a Ford base and has the great V10, for tons of power. I had no trouble trailering our two bikes from Minnesnowta all the way down to Avon Park Florida. I'm loving being a Snowbird living in our Tiny Home for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 12.33.11 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	27712  
Old 12-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Would there be any advantage (or disadvantage); in using the truck chassis?
Old 12-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #27

THOR #19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Would there be any advantage (or disadvantage); in using the truck chassis?
That's a very good question but I'm sorry I don't know the answer.

I did learn on this forum that some of the earlier years they where on the 350 chassis, so I'm happy mine is on the beefed up one. Then I learned that the newer ones have a different motor then that trusted V10 that is a work horse in the RV world.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I don't think the truck chassis would work building an Axis/Vegas like RV as there would be too much "front" where the engine is.

There are Super-C's made out of the trucks (Thor's Omni and Magnitude RV's are made from the Truck chassis).
Old 12-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yeah: they'd be longer...
But that would get the doghouse out of the way...
Is the truck frame more heavy duty? Are the chassis components capable of higher caoacities?
Old 12-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #30

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
A few thoughts.

If parking at an airport, I would look for a remote surface lot with shuttle service. Call ahead.

I have parked in busy urban areas using two spots. Got lucky years ago in San Francisco but wouldn't count on it. You would need a alternative plan in case the spots are not available.

I arrived the night before a meeting in Phoenix last year and found an empty parking lot behind a church not far from the meeting. Worked fine on a week night, probably not so well on Sunday.

I have parked overnight a few times in residential areas while visiting friends. Couldn't use the slide but worked ok.

Overnighting on a busy street is a no go for me, it drives me nuts when vehicles pass rocking the MH.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
A few thoughts.

If parking at an airport, I would look for a remote surface lot with shuttle service. Call ahead.

I have parked in busy urban areas using two spots. Got lucky years ago in San Francisco but wouldn't count on it. You would need a alternative plan in case the spots are not available.

I arrived the night before a meeting in Phoenix last year and found an empty parking lot behind a church not far from the meeting. Worked fine on a week night, probably not so well on Sunday.

I have parked overnight a few times in residential areas while visiting friends. Couldn't use the slide but worked ok.

Overnighting on a busy street is a no go for me, it drives me nuts when vehicles pass rocking the MH.
There is a website for parking in Church lots, much like Harvest Hosts (yeah I know: Of course there is):

https://faithfulparking.com/
Old 12-21-2020, 02:05 AM   #32

State: Arkansas
THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There is a website for parking in Church lots, much like Harvest Hosts (yeah I know: Of course there is):

https://faithfulparking.com/

Is Harvest Hosts a good deal? Intriguing.

I’m hoping to saving money on expensive parks and also to avoid as much as possible Walmart or truck stops. I’d like to stay overnight in quiet places, even if dispersed, secluded, boondocked. Is the hubbub of Walmart/truck stops bothersome to sleeping?
Old 12-21-2020, 02:07 AM   #33

State: Arkansas
THOR #21564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I think my 24.1 has great visibility. With the huge front window, rear & side cameras, and great mirrors which helps me see all my blind spots. To me it has better visibility then the school buses I used the drive. And trust me those, bus companies are all about safety, seeing everything, and being seen.

That’s what I figured. I like it’s unique style. Love the big windshield. Reminds me how much clearance I’ll need.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:04 AM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybatty View Post
Is Harvest Hosts a good deal? Intriguing.

I’m hoping to saving money on expensive parks and also to avoid as much as possible Walmart or truck stops. I’d like to stay overnight in quiet places, even if dispersed, secluded, boondocked. Is the hubbub of Walmart/truck stops bothersome to sleeping?
Search around the site there have been a few posts about Harvest Hosts--on the whole people seem to like them.

Walmart's and truck stops are the bottom of the list: If you can't find anything else (If you get to a Cracker Barrel before they close ask them--or call ahead--in many cases they will let you stay there; just be sure to purchase something for their trouble.)

In some cases you can't stay at the local Walmart (city ordinance or something) as well so always be sure to ask first.

We don't fulltime so haven't had the need as much (we've stayed in rest areas and truck stops; they aren't that bad sometimes you're so tired the noise doesn't matter).