Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Delaware
THOR #13192
Backup Camera No Video Signal

Hello Everyone! I just purchased a Chateau 28A and drove it home yesterday. I didn't notice until I got home that the backup camera is not working. All it says is "No Video Signal. I would take it in to the dealer, but it's 3 1/2 hours away so I'm hoping this is just an easy setup/fix. Any suggestions? There's a lot to learn on these things!
Thank you in advance for any advice!

Old 03-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
1. Check and be sure it is plugged in, the control box it is in the dash area, you may have to take the dash cover off.

2. Also check the back up camera at the rear of the coach and be sure it is plugged in tightly.

That’s where I would start.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWags View Post
Hello Everyone! I just purchased a Chateau 28A and drove it home yesterday. I didn't notice until I got home that the backup camera is not working. All it says is "No Video Signal. I would take it in to the dealer, but it's 3 1/2 hours away so I'm hoping this is just an easy setup/fix. Any suggestions? There's a lot to learn on these things!
Thank you in advance for any advice!
How about the sideview cameras (if equipped)? Do they work? Is this a new RV? Or new to you?

3 things have to happen for the rearview camera to be displayed:

The camera has to have power. If you have side view cameras this is done by the switchbox. If not it may be done by the reverse camera circuit or it may be continuously powered (like the switchbox does) so you view it going down the road.

The video feed to the radio has to have continuity to the radio input for the backup camera. Some radios have an AUX video input - make sure it's not plugged in there. Also make sure you have a good connection into and out of the switchbox (if equipped).

Finally, the radio has to be "triggered" to show the backup video. From you description of "No Video Signal" it sounds like this part is working.

Your "easy" fix will be a loose/not made connection or wrong connection.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:09 PM   #4

THOR #13192
Thank you both for your inputs and time! Yes, the side cameras work fine. It's a brand new unit, 2022, on a Chevy chasis. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning but hoping he doesn't want me to bring it in. I'm not much of a mechanic so we'll see.
Just hoping there may have been some setup I needed to do first but that doesn't sound to be the case. Thanks again and I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:13 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Is the battery disconnect switch by the entrance door in the ON position? Ours won't work if it's in "store mode" (OFF).
Old 03-07-2022, 01:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWags View Post
Thank you both for your inputs and time! Yes, the side cameras work fine. It's a brand new unit, 2022, on a Chevy chasis. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning but hoping he doesn't want me to bring it in. I'm not much of a mechanic so we'll see.
Just hoping there may have been some setup I needed to do first but that doesn't sound to be the case. Thanks again and I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.
Well the fact that the side cameras work fine eliminates a lot. I think you're down to a bad connection at the switchbox for the rear camera, a bad connection at the rear camera, a bad rear camera, or the cable between the camera and the switchbox has been damaged.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #7

THOR #13192
Thanks again! I contacted the dealer and he agrees. Only problem now is that I'm three hours from the nearest Thor dealer but fortunately they are going to try to find me someone closer who will be willing to work on it and they might pick up the tab. I guess it takes some higher up approval for that. Lesson learned, make sure the dealer goes over EVERYTHING before pulling off the lot. Of course, that should have been something they caught before I left as they needed it when backing it out of the bay...