Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
THOR #20670
Want to buy a spare tire and wheel

I recently a 2018 Thor Chateau 24F built on the Ford E 350 Super Duty Chasis. I want to buy a spare wheel and tire. Is it true that all the wheels, both front singles and back dullies are the same? I think I found the wheel on Amazon but the desciption is not very informative. How can I be sure I am buying the correct wheel?

Does anyone have any other source they would recommend for the wheel ?

Old 11-04-2020, 11:09 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
On my 2015 Vegas which is a 2014 350 chassis I think, the rim fits front and rear. Below is a link to some info, but it looks like it only goes up to 2014.

https://autofiles.com/wheels/ford/e-350-super-duty/
Old 11-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
You need to first verify the size of your stock rims and then make sure you purchase the same size rim and then the same size tire.

You can often find used wheels and tires on e-Bay for a decent price that make good spares.

The wheels are the same size on dually's all the way around with the outside rear wheels turned inside out. If the coach has wheel covers, they are all the same steel wheels.

My F-550 chassis has polished aluminum wheels on the outside but plain steel wheels on the inside.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
The $80ish dollar wheel on amazon fits ONLY rear outside dual.
To cure the problem you mount it on the rear outside dual and use the factory tire and wheel as a 'fits everywhere' spare.

Be sure and mark the wheel in big letters that it fits only outside dual.

Or
I think Ford gets $255 or 325 for a new factory wheel.

I used tulip puff paint and marked my cheap Amazon spare so it's easily seen.

And
Consider buying a
Torque multiplier
while you're buying that rim and tire.
It's cheap insurance that you or the roadside guy will be able to get the lugs loose.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
I bought mine on e-trailer, and like ducks face stated, it only fits outside rear. any inside application it rubs on caliper. be sure to check it when you get it. I also had to grind the inside hub hole as it was too tight to fit on axel. but, now it works and I sleep better with a spare.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
just an alternative idea to consider
I carry around a wheel and tire, negotiated in when I bought it....
I do not carry around jack and tools...rely on roadside service.

If I had it to do over again....I might, maybe.... consider just carrying a tire mostly just to save the weight...since my rig as with most larger class C's is heavy
Roadside service can mount it on the rim, and rims are less likely to get damaged
Old 11-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I carried a spare tire for my Vegas and Axis which I fit under the vehicles. I was not going to attempt to change a tire anyway and I figured that, as long as I didn’t damage the rim, I could ask AAA to send someone who could put the tire on the rim as well as change it. Getting that size is not always easy on a moments notice. Never used it, but glad I had it. I was able to find a used tire for $25 which the tire dealer mounted and tested for me to make sure it was sound.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:49 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
2019 Vegas 25.5

Spares aren't for everyone but for us we had to have one.

Ford OEM wheel, matching spare tire, Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier.

Ford roadside sounds great but when on the road, waiting hours and hours or maybe even a day isn't something we are interested in doing.

Not the perfect setup as a under mount Thor factory design would have been ideal but Thor elected not. So hitch mount it is.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201030_122456.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27042
Old 11-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
2019 Vegas 25.5

Spares aren't for everyone but for us we had to have one.

Ford OEM wheel, matching spare tire, Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier.

Ford roadside sounds great but when on the road, waiting hours and hours or maybe even a day isn't something we are interested in doing.

Not the perfect setup as a under mount Thor factory design would have been ideal but Thor elected not. So hitch mount it is.Attachment 27042

I went with the same setup. I bought an aftermarket wheel, stock tire and the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier. It makes dealing with a spare that weighs over 100lbs much easier.

I have AAA RV Coverage but if I had to change a tire, I could use the levelers and do it myself if it was going to take AAA too long to get there.

If I get a flat, I can then stop in the next town and get it fixed or the tire replaced and it will be easier and less expensive.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #10

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Bought my rim from the local junkyard $75, the rim was from a 2017 E350 mini school bus, they also had the matching tire $75.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #11

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Considering a spare for trip to Alaska next June. I don’t feel good about changing 19.5 inch wheel. Although I can use the RV hydraulic jacks I doubt I could undo the nuts. (150 ft-lb) Also, don’t want the extra weight all the way back on the hitch.

We are retired so spending a day awaiting service isn’t a big deal. We tow a toad that we can drive to phone service or tire store if needed.

The Roadmaster device appears nice but at $600 I can get ripped off for tire and still be ahead of buying it plus spare.

There are some parts of the Alaska trip that have you a long way from nearest town (50-100 miles). Not sure about service in those cases. I might consider getting just a spare tire that I can carry in the toad.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #8233
Hello Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You need to first verify the size of your stock rims and then make sure you purchase the same size rim and then the same size tire.

You can often find used wheels and tires on e-Bay for a decent price that make good spares.

The wheels are the same size on dually's all the way around with the outside rear wheels turned inside out. If the coach has wheel covers, they are all the same steel wheels.

My F-550 chassis has polished aluminum wheels on the outside but plain steel wheels on the inside.

Hello judge! We have a Thor Chateau in Cape Coral too!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #8233
Hello Judge

We have a Thor Chateau on a F550 also located in Cape Coral!!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't suggest strongly enough how important this tool will be if some gorilla pawed goof is who tightened your lug nuts at some tire store 2200 miles from where you've had your flat.

It's very cheap insurance about getting a wheel off no matter the shortcomings of whatever road service guy shows up.
F53 are all set up with this kit. But F450 owners will have to buy the right sized socket as these are all too big.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #15

Model: Thor Freedom elite 23h
State: California
THOR #14090
The front and rear tires are interchangeable. I have a 2018 E350 Freedom Elite and was looking for a spare as well. I went to the local used tire shop and was able to get rim and tire for $80.00.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #16

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
The spare tire topic has come up many times on this forum, I also negotiated the factory tire and wheel after I negotiated the price on the motorhome, it took over 3 weeks for the dealer to locate the wheel and they did not know it was different than the normal E-450 van wheel, a short time ago one other member mentioned he was on the side of the road for over 8 hours waiting for road side service, if you damage your wheel you might grow roots waiting to get back on the road, I bought a over sized star lug wrench from Wal Mart that fits the lug nuts and I bought a 8 inch and a 12 inch hydraulic jack from Harbor freight and I carry a couple of short lengths of 2X6, I am 70 years old an can change out a tire in under 40 minutes, not everyone can handle it but if you have to have both tire and wheel replaced you will pay the premium price if you do not have your own spare, broke down on the side of the road is dangerous, I had a flat on a boat trailer 50 years ago in a down pour and did not have a spare, now I carry two, they are aluminum wheels so the weight is not a problem
Old 11-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #17

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I too, am trying to decide if to get a spare tire and wheel. I need to check with Thor if they have an undercarriage mount for my 24 ft chevy Daybreak 22go [Same coach as Chateau]. I have Bigfoot levelers which can lift the wheels off the ground. I purchased a high torque battery powered torque wrench for loosening the lugnuts.
JC
Old 11-12-2020, 01:43 AM   #18

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Whether or not you carry a spare tire depends on your aversion to risk and desire to plan for all the things that can happen which can leave you stranded. I have driven over 100K miles in four RVs over the past 10 years (25K to Alaska and back - 2 trips) and I have never had a tire failure or even a flat. The four failures I have had involved faulty engine sensors, electrical and battery issues. Each I have been able to solve enough to get me to a shop without being towed. Lucky - yes. Careful - definitely. And I did take a spare tire (no rim) with me to Alaska along with tire plugs and a tire inflator. I am not saying that you should not carry a spare and equipment to change it - if it make you comfortable. But, I’ll bet that a survey of RVeres would find that in a list of failures that resulted in roadside assistance, flat tires would not be in the top 5. Carrying a full set of replacement fuses, a tire inflator, tire minders OBD2 scanner, extra oil and a full set of as much documentation of your coach and all its systems as you can assemble is just as (or more) important. Knowing where all the fuses, electrical disconnects, your transfer switch, and converter charger are and how they work could save you from being unable to continue your trip. Tires are important but so are many other things.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289

David
Old 11-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #20

THOR #13727
Did you find what you need? In Florida and have both tire and .out for a 24.1 I mounted on the under the RV and lowers like on a truck