Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
A-C condensation drip

This concerns the A-C condensation, or any other water for that matter, that runs down the side of the RV. On the Omni, thor didn't put any type of gutter along the roof edge to channel the water to the rear and over. Not sure about other C made by thor but such a gutter and gutter extensions is common on many RVs even trailers at a fraction of the cost of a thor C. To get all water, rain and A-C would require a full length gutter, which is something I'm investigating but for the A-C I've been giving some thought to drain tubes. Example a drain pan under the A-C units and a house top the rear and corner to get the water off the side of the RV. On mine I also have slide out awnings/toppers that are poorly installed at the factory, in other words no slope to the awning, so water of all sorts collects on it and is stretching the fabric.

Back to the drain pan. I need to get on the roof, pull the outside shroud, and see what might be done. On other units I recall the condensation drips in to a bottom pan and exits out a hole onto the roof and then to the leaning side and over. My thought is a drip pan under the hole/s, clear vinyl tubing, sealed with dicor/eternabond to the roof and routed to the corner. Add a gutter drip extension or short rigid tube to clear the side. Do this to each A-C unit.

Another potential project to remove the slide awnings and have them installed in the stock awning rail which would give the awnings some slope so they shed instead of pool water. Any thoughts on that.

The problem with the water draining down the dish is mineral buildup on the paint which instead of being just on a corner, is everywhere.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Thor doesn't apparently believe in gutters. You have to install them yourself.

With the "Splash water on the condenser" newer A/Cs the drip pan doesn't appear to have any single drain, but several cutouts so that excess condensate has multiple places to drop onto the roof.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Thor doesn't apparently believe in gutters. You have to install them yourself.

With the "Splash water on the condenser" newer A/Cs the drip pan doesn't appear to have any single drain, but several cutouts so that excess condensate has multiple places to drop onto the roof.
EA37TS in another thread mentioned a stick on gutter by trim lock as I recall and that may be an option I take. I found a similar design but it was $4.50+ a foot. The trim lock was nowhere near that cost.

The other issue is the slide out awnings. I may look into moving the small awning first to the regular awning trail to give it some slope. See how that works and look at moving the bigger one.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
...Back to the drain pan. I need to get on the roof, pull the outside shroud, and see what might be done. On other units I recall the condensation drips in to a bottom pan and exits out a hole onto the roof and then to the leaning side and over. My thought is a drip pan under the hole/s, clear vinyl tubing, sealed with dicor/eternabond to the roof and routed to the corner. Add a gutter drip extension or short rigid tube to clear the side. Do this to each A-C unit.
Each drain pan has two drain holes under the coils, one on each side. They are around 1/4" in diameter with a rubber grommet. Both can be accessed as long as you take the side panels off. The issue is that there is less than 1/2" space between the pan and the roof, so there would need to be something rigid enough to come out of the hole and bend to drain as you said. I toyed with using J-channels from the drains and directing the water to the rear corners, but we are installing solar, so we'll have to see about that.
I also thought about using those same J-channels as gutters, but in some spots I would need to cut them to 1/2" in height. I haven't found any low profile ones long enough to go the whole length.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s an option that I’m using:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...28&postcount=5
Old 09-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #6

THOR #13362
And one more:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ail-21313.html
Old 09-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
That's the product that EA37TS had commented on a while back. He said at the time it was sticking well. Did you have any issues of it falling off or getting loose? I'm going to measure and order the amount I need to do both sides while it's still hot out. Figure to lay it out to uncurl.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
That's the product that EA37TS had commented on a while back. He said at the time it was sticking well. Did you have any issues of it falling off or getting loose? I'm going to measure and order the amount I need to do both sides while it's still hot out. Figure to lay it out to uncurl.
I put that on my MH over 3 years ago. No problems to date.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #9

THOR #13362
It’s fine
As long as the surface is prepped first
I lightly sanded along edge with fine paper
Placed a little adhesive on the ends
And last year added the spouts so the run-off flows away from the sides

As you can see from photos, I laid it on the roof edge where it is hidden
Vs
Along the top edge of the sidewall where it would be very noticeable IMHO
Old 09-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

Model: Quantum 24CR
THOR #24306
Quote:
Here’s an option that I’m using:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...28&postcount=5
mine had the gutter but no spouts. Ordered these to match and ProFlexClear. Haven’t had a chance to install yet but I am annoyed with the streaks down side of coach.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H46K6K...roduct_details

I have investigated putting a drain line from under drip hole to edge of roof but I hate the idea of that tube across roof plus the clearance is so slight under ac. My thought was cut end of tube like a scoop or spout underneath but it’s tight…
Old 09-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
It’s fine
As long as the surface is prepped first
I lightly sanded along edge with fine paper
Placed a little adhesive on the ends
And last year added the spouts so the run-off flows away from the sides

As you can see from photos, I laid it on the roof edge where it is hidden
Vs
Along the top edge of the sidewall where it would be very noticeable IMHO
That's my plan also. And thanks EA377s for the update. I figure that proper prep is necessary for longevity. I'll order some today.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I originally was going to go with this but at the time want to mount it on the (Side) of the RV. Found out I could not due to the slide topper is attached right up to the top of the side wall.
I like the idea of this way of mounting it (BUT) I have some concerns if a heavy downpour or the tropical storm we once went though there would be pooling of water collecting on the roof. So much that it could create excess weight or back up to a vent. Maybe I worry too much, but I think I am going to go with this option and set it back just inside the caulk line on top of the roof so not to interfere with it and can keep a better eye on the condition of the seal. it's height is minimal, but enough to direct the condensation to either end of the RV and not down the awning or other side panels.
Only comes in black or chrome (going with black) You will not be able to see it anyway.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A1S8JYKMZJF7WT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black moulding.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	34179