Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlzstam View Post
The place we're waiting on has a 10' Guard Dog 7000 watt electric fence topped with razor wire. Lighting is such that it seems the sun never goes down there. They had a cat theft occurrence several years ago. No problems at all since the fence and lighting were added. Friends have parked their DP class A there for years, so I'm not relying on a marketing spiel.
In the meantime, we're looking for a place where I can build a garage mahal that I can put all my toys under lock and key.
Sounds great, my attack Chihuahua wants to meet that 10' guard dog. lol

Old 01-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Stay away from 24 hr access storage lots. Just because their is a fence around it does not mean a person with access won't cut the cat off at 1 am. My MH was broken into and everything stolen in a 24 hr secured Uhaul storage place.. The last storage I had let guard dogs out at 5 pm when they closed. never trouble there..
Old 01-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Storage Facility Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
Stay away from 24 hr access storage lots. Just because their is a fence around it does not mean a person with access won't cut the cat off at 1 am. My MH was broken into and everything stolen in a 24 hr secured Uhaul storage place.. The last storage I had let guard dogs out at 5 pm when they closed. never trouble there..
My CubeSmart storage facility's gate locks and won't open after 10:00 PM. Hopefully that will help some.

That said, before CubeSmart took my facility over, I was required to enter my pass number to get in and to get out. Now it's only required to get in. So if a thief manages to follow someone else in with his vehicle, he can get back out by just pulling up to the gate after he's loaded up with stolen stuff.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:00 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Some of you folks are way overthinking this…it’s just a chunk of exhaust system. Do what you can and then let ‘em have it. Your insurance will cover the loss and the repair. For what some folks spend trying to protect the converter you could buy a spare to have just in case. Just sayin.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #25

State: New York
THOR #18343
Ummmm…. Will your insurance cover it? Just asking cause I don’t know myself??
Old 01-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #26

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Ummmm…. Will your insurance cover it? Just asking cause I don’t know myself??

They covered mine with just a phone call and a copy of the police report. No hassle or hesitation and didn’t blink an eye at the $1800 estimate. Had the check before I found a converter. Mine was in November 2020 with renewal in February 2021. My rate actually went down. Renewal this year is up by $11. I’m happy.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:59 PM   #27

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
They covered mine with just a phone call and a copy of the police report. No hassle or hesitation and didn’t blink an eye at the $1800 estimate. Had the check before I found a converter. Mine was in November 2020 with renewal in February 2021. My rate actually went down. Renewal this year is up by $11. I’m happy.
Was there a deductible or did the call it theft or vandalism and fix it for free?
Old 01-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #28

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Was there a deductible or did the call it theft or vandalism and fix it for free?

Yes, the the deductible applied. An unfortunate cost living in troubled times. I try not to let it erode my calm!
Old 01-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #29

THOR #20274
Quote:
Yes, the the deductible applied. An unfortunate cost living in troubled times. I try not to let it erode my calm!
I think mine is 500 but that is better than 2,700 plus labor
Old 01-26-2022, 06:48 PM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Insurance Coverage For Converter

Quote:
Some of you folks are way overthinking this…it’s just a chunk of exhaust system. Do what you can and then let ‘em have it. Your insurance will cover the loss and the repair. For what some folks spend trying to protect the converter you could buy a spare to have just in case. Just sayin.
Resorting to insurance sounds easy but too many claims can result in policy cancellation and assigned risk status that comes with exorbitant rates. I am already paying over $1400 per year for insurance on my class A even with no claims for over three years.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #31

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Saw where 60 units or so got hit at Camping World yesterday

I don't see how insurance can continue to replace them without rate increases
Old 01-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #32

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
As long as governmental agencies take a soft on crime approach, the trend will never end. Elections at federal, state, and local level have consequences and that's a fact as long as we have had elections and electable "crime fighters". No real good answers until you solve the first statement.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:45 PM   #33

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Saw where 60 units or so got hit at Camping World yesterday

I don't see how insurance can continue to replace them without rate increases
Thieves steal 94 catalytic converters from Elkhart RV plant January 4th
Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 PM   #34

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
As long as governmental agencies take a soft on crime approach, the trend will never end. Elections at federal, state, and local level have consequences and that's a fact as long as we have had elections and electable "crime fighters". No real good answers until you solve the first statement.
Very true, and I don't sense the rage we should be hearing about

I have had a few things stolen and vandalized over the years and it sure makes me mad

Prosecuted all that that I could

In this case it seems to be OK, there just getting Starbucks money and insurance will cover it

Not a good trend

Couple weeks ago at the parking garage a car burned due to the thief drilling a hole in the gas tank, lot of damage and sure aggravating for the tourist

Something definitely needs to happen sooner than later or it is going to compromise a lot of folks camping but increasing cost
Old 01-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #35

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Very true, and I don't sense the rage we should be hearing about

I have had a few things stolen and vandalized over the years and it sure makes me mad

Prosecuted all that that I could

In this case it seems to be OK, there just getting Starbucks money and insurance will cover it

Not a good trend

Couple weeks ago at the parking garage a car burned due to the thief drilling a hole in the gas tank, lot of damage and sure aggravating for the tourist

Something definitely needs to happen sooner than later or it is going to compromise a lot of folks camping but increasing cost
Who can walk into a junk yard with 94 brand new catalytic converters with no questions asked, they should get ten years for each one
Old 01-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Who can walk into a junk yard with 94 brand new catalytic converters with no questions asked, they should get ten years for each one
Common-sense would dictate enforcement should start with the buyer of the stolen parts. (Key word is common sense, sorely lacking these days) The scrap yard has to know they are buying stolen cats. It should be easier to police the scrap dealers then the RV storage facilities.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:21 PM   #37

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Common-sense would dictate enforcement should start with the buyer of the stolen parts. (Key word is common sense, sorely lacking these days) The scrap yard has to know they are buying stolen cats. It should be easier to police the scrap dealers then the RV storage facilities.
And the scrap dealer sent them to recyclers that see 300 cat's coming in a week from a small scrap yard