Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 27R
State: South Carolina
THOR #24783
Catalytic converter replacement

We discovered Saturday afternoon that the catalytic converter on our 2021 Chateau 27R has been stolen. Do any of you folks know if we need to replace with an OEM converter, Ford, to maintain the emissions and engine/drive train warranty?

Old 01-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
I would think not. We had to add a couple to our 67 pickup with a 97 motor, lots of after market converts available.
Find a local exhaust shop and ask, should save you some $$$.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
The converter theft has been ongoing for 5 years with no sign of slowing

Seems like we as a Nation should get tough on this

Insurance for gas vehicles should continue to rise

Sorry you had this happen
Old 01-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #4

THOR #24783
I've just confirmed that the OEM converter is required to maintain the engine/drivetrain and emissions warranty.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Your question was about "warranty". If that "aftermarket" convertor fails for any reason, it will not be warrantied by Ford. If you have the repair done by Ford, with Ford parts, then the warranty for emission compliance as well as convertor hardware, are in fact covered. If you want / need to save a few bucks, then an aftermarket is fine. If this is an insurance deal, and I can find a dealer who will work on it, then I would go with Ford parts (my two cents).
Old 01-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #6

THOR #24783
My concern is with maintaining the 5 yr/60,000 mi. drive train and 5 yr/50,000 mi. emissions warranties.

I've confirmed with FMC, and more credible to me, my trusted independent mechanic, that in order to maintain those two warranties the OEM Ford converter must be used.

It is a new, 2021 unit, purchased in September 2021 and currently has 5K miles on the clock, so maintaining those warranties is important to me.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlzstam View Post
My concern is with maintaining the 5 yr/60,000 mi. drive train and 5 yr/50,000 mi. emissions warranties.

I've confirmed with FMC, and more credible to me, my trusted independent mechanic, that in order to maintain those two warranties the OEM Ford converter must be used.

It is a new, 2021 unit, purchased in September 2021 and currently has 5K miles on the clock, so maintaining those warranties is important to me.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Exactly what our friend in Springfield found out for a fleet of trucks a few years back
Old 01-18-2022, 11:14 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Exactly what our friend in Springfield found out for a fleet of trucks a few years back

That’s what I discovered when ours was stolen in 2020. Sadly the new Ford part was $1600 and labor was (ridiculously) $260. My insurance covered it without any fuss. At that time though the part was back ordered for MANY months. I’ll be interested to learn if the wait is less now. Depending on how considerate/skilled your bg was it’s a really simple bolt on repair if you use the OEM part. Sucks, doesn’t it?! Good luck.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:35 AM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
We discovered Saturday afternoon that the catalytic converter on our 2021 Chateau 27R has been stolen. Do any of you folks know if we need to replace with an OEM converter, Ford, to maintain the emissions and engine/drive train warranty?
If insurance is covering it and Ford has one get it fixed before you go camping. If they are back ordered and it cannot be replaced in time. Just buy a generic one and use it till Ford gets the parts in stock
Old 01-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #10

THOR #24783
Insurance claim filed and approved. My mechanic says one to two weeks to get the converter and sensor. He has 5 coaches in his yard right now that had the cats stolen. Mine makes 6 and he has another to pick up as well.
Deputy who investigated our theft says four were reported stolen within the last week.

I found a price at an on line Ford parts dealer of $2,200 for the cat.
Nosing around the internet I found the following:
A typical converter contain 3 – 7 grams of platinum at $31.19 / gram, 2 – 7 grams of palladium at around $60.54 / gram and 1 – 2 grams of rhodium at around $389.02 / gram. Prices per MONEX Precious Metals web site.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #11

THOR #6826
Quote:
Insurance claim filed and approved. My mechanic says one to two weeks to get the converter and sensor. He has 5 coaches in his yard right now that had the cats stolen. Mine makes 6 and he has another to pick up as well.
Deputy who investigated our theft says four were reported stolen within the last week.

I found a price at an on line Ford parts dealer of $2,200 for the cat.
Nosing around the internet I found the following:
A typical converter contain 3 – 7 grams of platinum at $31.19 / gram, 2 – 7 grams of palladium at around $60.54 / gram and 1 – 2 grams of rhodium at around $389.02 / gram. Prices per MONEX Precious Metals web site.

The police officer who took my report told me the BG typically only gets about $100-150 per converter. Doesn’t seem like much for something that costs $2,000 to replace. But I suppose that if you’ve collected a truck load of them it could be a lucrative business.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:11 AM   #12

Model: Delano 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #25401
Friends of ours just had theirs stolen today, and they were parked 2 RVs over from me.

This may be a silly question, but are gas catalytic converters worth more than diesel ones? Wondering why the thieves would hit theirs over someone else's.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:07 AM   #13

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRaidermike View Post
Friends of ours just had theirs stolen today, and they were parked 2 RVs over from me.

This may be a silly question, but are gas catalytic converters worth more than diesel ones? Wondering why the thieves would hit theirs over someone else's.

diesel emission stuff is way more funky

my truck the entire post exhaust emission thing is about 5 feet long and probably weighs 600 lbs. it does not break down to smaller pieces readily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-24.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	35699  
Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #14

State: Nebraska
THOR #25806
When you replace it, get the cage to make it very difficult to remove again! That’s what U did, and feel more secure!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewphus View Post
When you replace it, get the cage to make it very difficult to remove again! That’s what U did, and feel more secure!

It’s a good thought. A police officer friend of mine advised otherwise. He suggested the BG probably will get it anyway and certainly will be annoyed. She very well might decide to leave you a little present like a cut wiring harness, brake lines or even the frame. It’s something to think about.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The police officer who took my report told me the BG typically only gets about $100-150 per converter. Doesn’t seem like much for something that costs $2,000 to replace. But I suppose that if you’ve collected a truck load of them it could be a lucrative business.
Imagine if you open up a “used converter” site and sold you back the one they cut off. That’s the entrepreneurial spirit!
Old 01-23-2022, 02:46 AM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Cat Stolen

Quote:
I am sorry to hear about your catalytic converter being stolen. Do you mind if I inquire where your RV was when it was stolen?

John James
Old 01-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #18

THOR #24783
It was parked at a storage lot. We're on a waiting list at a more secure lot. Until that opens up we'll be keeping it at home.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
What about inside storage, By me a 40 foot storage unit was 160 a month, I was going to take it until I talked to the code enforcer in our town who gave me 5 days to fix a violation. My motorhome must be behind the front of the house so I backed it up a little. Now I'm legal. There was no way I was parking outside in a lot, the rental person said people were always stealing catalytic converters out in the lot
Old 01-23-2022, 04:34 PM   #20

THOR #24783
The place we're waiting on has a 10' Guard Dog 7000 watt electric fence topped with razor wire. Lighting is such that it seems the sun never goes down there. They had a cat theft occurrence several years ago. No problems at all since the fence and lighting were added. Friends have parked their DP class A there for years, so I'm not relying on a marketing spiel.
In the meantime, we're looking for a place where I can build a garage mahal that I can put all my toys under lock and key.