Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
changing a tire using the leveling jacks..

is it possible to lift a tire off the gorund using the leveling jacks? in manual mode i cant seem to get a simgle jack to respond. only pairs at a time,eg, front, back, left ,right pairs. holding down 2 buttons doenst seem to do anything.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
All jacks are set up in pairs so you don’t “torque” the frame.

On my rig I raise the front end jacks together to change a front tire
Or
Right side together or left side together to change rear tire

That is, they say not to lift the rears together off the ground

Also, you may need a 4” block under jack foot to provide the extra lift
Old 09-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Lifting both rear tires can be disastrous... that's the tires locked by the parking brake! Of course, my MH is sitting here in the back yard with one of the rear duallies barely touching the ground! But... fronts are solidly chocked.

Big Foot explicitly does not recommend using jacks to lift wheels for service. It's a liability issue. Can it be done? Certainly... if you know exactly what you're doing. And as taylorbob1 said... do not torque/twist the frame. My Big Foot jacks have a mode which drops them to even contact before leveling.

Kinda like using a tool for it's intended purpose... can you hammer with a pair of lineman's pliers?
Old 09-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Lineman’s pliers, no way, flashlight,”dewalt “ works best.
I would never use jacks to change a tire, too fat to fly, and too dumb to try, besides, thats road service persons job. Cocktail hour until they arrive, multi tasking at its best.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Lifting both rear tires can be disastrous... that's the tires locked by the parking brake! Of course, my MH is sitting here in the back yard with one of the rear duallies barely touching the ground! But... fronts are solidly chocked.

Big Foot explicitly does not recommend using jacks to lift wheels for service. It's a liability issue. Can it be done? Certainly... if you know exactly what you're doing. And as taylorbob1 said... do not torque/twist the frame. My Big Foot jacks have a mode which drops them to even contact before leveling.

Kinda like using a tool for it's intended purpose... can you hammer with a pair of lineman's pliers?
On the 18,000 lb, F-53 chassis, the parking brake is on the driveshaft. Lifting both rear tires off the pavement is just the same as lifting all four rear tires off the pavement together. If you must lift the rear, chock the opposite side with dual tire wheel chocks and lift only one rear side at a time. If you are going to climb under the coach, then jack stands are a must. My 6 tons were about $40 for a pair. They came handy when I installed my rear track bar or stringing electrical cable for the larger inverter, 50 amp power center and rear heat pump.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Lineman’s pliers, no way, flashlight,”dewalt “ works best.
I would never use jacks to change a tire, too fat to fly, and too dumb to try, besides, thats road service persons job. Cocktail hour until they arrive, multi tasking at its best.
Terry
I have redundant roadside coverage... AAA RV roadside assistance plus have roadside RV coverage on my insurance.

I may not have enough "cold ones" in the fridge for such an emergency... but I always make sure I have 1/3 tank of fresh water.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:57 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
All good advice, but to answer your question…yes, the jacks can lift the coach safely. Know exactly what you’re doing and be careful and you’ll be fine. Last time I bought tires the dealer asked if I minded him using my jacks and that’s how he did it. In his level shop.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:59 AM   #8

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
that all very interesting. Most cars are lifted via a frame point. I can see how the house body could be damaged by lifting and twisting the frame unevenly. I was installing cat eyes tire equalizers and needed to take the outside tire off on each side to do the install. Found that lifting the tire was done best at the axle spring perch. Overall it was straight forward but tough. God help anyone who might have to do it on their own on the side of the road at night.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:31 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I used the house jacks to lift the front when I installed my sumo springs. Some sort of cribbing or jack stand is recommended.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote