Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kentucky
THOR #12161
New 28 foot Chateau owner with questions

My wife and I just bought a practically unused 2014 Chateau from an elderly widow who knew practically nothing about the motorhome. I have figured most things out, from reading and past-experience, but I need answers to the following:
1. In the cab, just above the mirror adjustment switch is an unmarked switch that, when pushed, illuminates a red light beside it???? What does this do?
2. Also in the cab is an "Emergency Start" switch. How does this work???
3. The front-most dining table seat (over the generator) is screwed down. Beneath it is a large completely empty compartment, with no way to access it, (other than by unscrewing the top cover). Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the screws and make use of this large compartment?
4. The tire valve stems are recessed behind small eliptical holes in the wheel covers. The holes are too small for a normal tire air pressure gage to make a solid 90 degree fit onto the valve stems, so that air pressure may be read. The manual states that some sort of angled, two-faced heavy-truck air gage is needed. Can someone recommend a good brand/model air gage to use?
5. I can't find a way to turn off the lighted "wheel-shaped" control beside the computer screen in the center of the dash. I certainly don't need this thing lit up when I am not using the computer screen.

Thanks, budHumph450

Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
New 28 foot Chateau owner with questions

Bud. Please put in the model of your rv but I will assume it a 28z. I have a 28z as well. The switch is for side view mirror heaters. As far as the dinette Are use both for storage. I put piano hinges on them as well. The emergency start switch is used when your chassis battery is dead. You push the switch and hold it and start your vehicle. It uses the house batteries. I do not have an answer for your last two questions

Sent from my iPhone using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
He's got your answers: I'd just like to welcome you to the forum!

I see that it's time to change out that "Still Looking" part below your screen name...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #4

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I, too, have a 2014 28z and will await the 2 remaining answers. I'm challenged with getting good air pressure readings on he inside tires even tho I have the braided extensions. I'm probably gonna go to a heavy duty truck place and have thewm install some solid extensions.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You might want to check this website out:

Duallyvalve Kits for Ford, GM, Dodge - Class C
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
This is the type tire pressure gage the manual refers to. It works great on our Quantum.

Actopus Heavy-Duty Truck Tire Pressure Gauge - 10 to 150 PSI

/* * Fix for UDP-1061. Average customer reviews has a small extra line on hover * https://omni-grok.amazon.com/xref/sr...teTemplates#40 */ .noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; } 3.7 out of 5 stars 12 customer reviews

Price:$11.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
FREE Shipping Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)
Learn more about free shipping
on orders over $25—or get FREE Two-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime

• This fits your .

• Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
  • Essential tire maintenance & safety tool for trucks, trailers, heavy equipment & RVs
  • Extra-long 11" length for easier access to inside dual wheel; excellent quality - made in Taiwan
  • Dual-chuck head has superior versatility - attaches to valve stem with either push or pull-motion
  • Extra-wide pop-out scale is easier to read; marked black-on-white 0-150 PSI
  • Brass, steel & aluminum components with mirror chrome finish; steel slide ring hanger; 11"L, 7 oz
See more product details

Compare with similar items

New (1) from $11.99 & FREE shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon. Details
Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #7

THOR #10823
Sorry about the messed up post. Click the "See more product details" and it should show a picture. This style gets into the openings on our wheels perfect no extensions needed. You can get an "air chuck" in the same style that will let you put air in just as easily.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #8

THOR #10823
" 3. The front-most dining table seat (over the generator) is screwed down. Beneath it is a large completely empty compartment, with no way to access it, (other than by unscrewing the top cover). Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the screws and make use of this large compartment?"

Are you sure it's empty? That is where the fresh water tank is located on our coach.

"1. In the cab, just above the mirror adjustment switch is an unmarked switch that, when pushed, illuminates a red light beside it???? What does this do?"

That should be the on-off switch for the heated mirrors.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Sorry about the messed up post. Click the "See more product details" and it should show a picture. This style gets into the openings on our wheels perfect no extensions needed. You can get an "air chuck" in the same style that will let you put air in just as easily.
That's the guage I use and it doesn't seat well enough on the braided valve extension. Works very well on front tires and outside tires, just not on the braided extensions.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

State: Kentucky
THOR #12161
Thanks!!!

I’m thinking that I can find a suitable tire gage at a Flying J truck stop. Also I’m guessing that the lighted “wheel” beside the computer screen is supposed to always stay lighted so that TV’s and such can be easily used when parked at night. It probably doesn’t use much juice.
I’m upgrading from a long pull-behind Rockwood so a lot is the same. Appreciate the help with the rest. I’m making some modifications—-made a temporary mount on the rear bumper for a water filter and pressure regulator—-using quick disconnects—-going to cut and put plugs on 30 amp wire, near the rv end to attach circuit protector inside compartment—-need propane line to fuel outdoor grill, and more. Big disappoontment is that A two wheel car trailer came with the rv but I can’t tow my Murano. Have yet to solve this one. Thanks again for your help—-would love to hear more of your advice. Gordon Roberts