Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2021, 12:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
THOR #24507
Check all electrical connections immediately

A little info. After reading in the forum about bad transfer switchís and bad connections I had the same problem on my new unit. I had problems with my transfer switch working at times switching to Shore Power but the service center said nothing was wrong so I drive it back home and plug it in. I come back in 30 minutes and smell a very familiar smell ( used to do electrical work). I knew then what was wrong and sure enough the switch was super hot and when the cover was removed there were the burnt wires on the input side . I then shut everything off and amazingly almost every wire was loose on connections. Even the grounds were loose. I understand the transfer switch has specific torque values for the wires but the it appears none were ever followed.
Please check your connections right away to avoid a potential disaster of your unit going up in smoke. (although it sounds like some of you may want that result 😀😀 from all the troubles we get). If you are not experienced with working on electrical issues then have someone who is check them for you. Traveling on our roads only make the situation worse with time. Mine will be checked now on a regular basis.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
We have had almost this exact thread & post posted on the forum multiple times. It's a great reminder from a new face and an area we constantly point to when people have SP/Generator problems that fit the symptoms of a poor connection at the ATS.

The second most common place this type of problem occurs is with the 120 VAC connections for the water heater. Another place to proactively check before you have problems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:20 AM   #3

THOR #24507
This forum was sure a big help for me in catching this problem. I just wanted to repost it as it is more of a safety issue rather than cosmetic. The forum shows us we have to make our own QC on any Motorhome no matter what the name is on the outside.
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:49 AM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
My list of things to check after I finish with the front cap is growing. Maybe I should take the whole coach apart and put it back together it would likely be much simpler
Old 11-19-2021, 06:13 AM   #5

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
Appreciate posts like this. I read one of the others before I took possession of mine and was sure to check all wires first thing. Happy to report all mine were super tight, but glad I checked and have that piece of mind now.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
My list of things to check after I finish with the front cap is growing. Maybe I should take the whole coach apart and put it back together it would likely be much simpler

Save the staples...you can recycle them as scrap metal and probably be able to buy a few tanks of fuel.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #7

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Save the staples...you can recycle them as scrap metal and probably be able to buy a few tanks of fuel.
Good idea don't think the cheap self tapping screws are worth anything.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:59 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
exhibit 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer switch replaced (11).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	34868  
Old 11-20-2021, 12:17 AM   #9

THOR #24507
Now you have a idea what happens when you hear about a RV burning down. I am sure glad you caught that one.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #20754
I second this.. Was on a trip this past weekend. Temps in low 20s so furnace was running a lot. Around 2am I heard the fridge check light beep when the furnace would kick on (was on shore power). Google pointed to low voltage issues. Furnace just stopped working along with the fridge and all 12 volt appliances. Converter looked fine until we noticed one of the wires was completely disconnected. Thor didnít even strip back the sheathing at the connection point for this wire.. This was overlooked in the pdi as it appeared to be secure and actually stayed in contact in a half contacted state for over a year without issues.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdole View Post
I second this.. Was on a trip this past weekend. Temps in low 20s so furnace was running a lot. Around 2am I heard the fridge check light beep when the furnace would kick on (was on shore power). Google pointed to low voltage issues. Furnace just stopped working along with the fridge and all 12 volt appliances. Converter looked fine until we noticed one of the wires was completely disconnected. Thor didnít even strip back the sheathing at the connection point for this wire.. This was overlooked in the pdi as it appeared to be secure and actually stayed in contact in a half contacted state for over a year without issues.
Glad you found the issue. Never heard a light beep though
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:34 AM   #12

THOR #24507
There are a lot of RV’s out there that are similar to your RV and mine. What is so troublesome is this issue can easily cause a fire and burn your RV down. This is especially true if it is on the AC side. It is almost impossible to check every connection as some are hidden in different areas of the RV. New owners have no idea that these issues can exist in their new units no matter what the price range is. I also walked around my unit and could not believe how many screws were loose and some stripped ( replaced them with next size up). This was both inside and outside the unit. Trying to get a “new” unit up to where it should be is a lot of work.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #13
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Some suggest to hire an RV inspector when purchasing a used and even a new RV. This may be the answer to those that don't want to or cannot handle this type of work. Just make sure you ask the inspector first if he will actually go to that extreme to check each connection. I'm sure he will depending on how much you pay.
Paying so many thousand (or hundreds of thousands) for an RV. Seems like it's a no brainer.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I added checking electrical connections to my annual list of stuff to check. I do it when doing roof, dicor, and seam inspection each year. It now takes almost a full weekend to do all of this. Donít forget to check lug nuts for tightness and air filter housing for bird nests.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:05 AM   #15

THOR #24507
That is a great idea. Also buy a small toque wrench and torque the lugs according to specs . My transfer switch manufacturer sent me the chart.