Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2023, 10:34 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'm the guy that auto levels every time. I've pulled into sites that were level according to the system and the jacks just travel down, settle and the system is done. I wont allow a tire to go off the ground and I don't chock the tires or carry chocks.
Aye Captain, shiver me timbers, this is me too.
Out of habit, I always put my electronic camco level on center of floor. Doesn't matter if it is already perfectly level or showing red on 3 sides. I
get everyone still and auto level. I keep drinking 🍸 my beer (rum in your case) until the wait button light goes out telling me it is done. Then I get up and let the slide out. I have full wall slide and my level indicators stay the same with slide in or out.

Old 08-26-2023, 11:16 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Not to be persnickety... but I always understood gravitational force was ALWAYS toward the Earth's center, not "downhill"??

Otherwise those fancy vacation rentals built on stilts into the side of mountain slopes would all be tumbling down the mountain side!

I'm NOT a physics major, AND I'll readily admit I'm wrong... IF someone shows me PROOF of the physical difference of lateral forces on the jack rams in these two scenarios (with all tires off the ground):

1) The motorhome sitting on a slope, perfectly leveled using the jacks (no wheels touching ground)

2) The motorhome sitting on perfectly level ground, raised to level (no wheels touching ground)

A hurricane wind or the Hulk pushing the motorhome doesn't count.

P.S. I NEVER raise more than one axle off the ground... even then only slightly. I always chock behind the tires facing downhill... or both directions when level.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:29 PM   #23

State: New York
THOR #21937
I always chock my wheels. Every single time. Even when I'm just stopping for gas or a quick snack.

My coach did not come with levelers. I can count on my fingers how many times I've been so far off level that I found it necessary to use jack stands as makeshift levelers. 95% of the time, neither me nor the coach cares all that much.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:53 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
This reminds me of turning the steering tires to the curb and rolling until they make contact. The last time I did this or chocked tires was with a 1955 Plymouth and a 1951 Chevy. The Plymouth had the 2 speed automatic, dash shifter with no "park" position. The parking brake cable was broke so I had no choice. The Chevy was 3 on the tree with weak parking brake and the engine was so worn out that compression wouldn't hold anymore when in reverse and not running. I tied a short rope to the blocks so they would follow me when I forgot them. Nope...not anymore.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:43 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I agree Gritz. It's like being in favor of all of todays modern technology and then being afraid it wont work.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:16 PM   #26

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
So we set leveling pads down and set the front wheel chock and then manual level RV with a bubble leveler. Then check the whole setup with the bathroom door. If she stays still, i'm satisfied. If it moves toward refrigerator, i give it a little more LHS up. Then out goes the slideout. When we leave and retract the jacks, the front wheel chock is always stuck under the wheel, so there must be a little settling during the whole process. I figure that is the purpose of a chock. And we never put wheels off of the ground. If that happens we start over or get another spot. ...
Old 08-29-2023, 10:55 PM   #27

Model: Mandalay 40E
THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffThor325 View Post
I always chock my wheels. Every single time. Even when I'm just stopping for gas or a quick snack...
WHY?

It simply isn’t necessary. That’s what the parking brake is for.

Do you see chocks under the wheels of cars parked in a lot? What about trucks in a truck stop? You are doing a lot of extra work for no good purpose.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:56 PM   #28

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Don't get so wrapped up in "perfect level". Unless you sleep in your shoes use them as door stops. Proper leveling techniques should rarely to never cause a "tires off the ground" situation. The mistake of pushing the auto-level feature will do this to you. It doesn't know how to drop down a bit during this process...it just keeps jacking you up till it finally (if ever) reaches what it determines as level.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 12:51 PM   #29

THOR #21937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
WHY?

Do you see chocks under the wheels of cars parked in a lot? What about trucks in a truck stop? You are doing a lot of extra work for no good purpose.
I also use an ebike as my daily driver. Way more work than simply planting my rump in an oversized SUV where the only effort required is to mash the pedal on the right.

The great thing about our society is that I am perfectly free to do "a lot of extra work for no good purpose".

And who's to say it's for no good purpose? You are making wild assumptions.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
WHY?

You don't see chocks under the wheels of cars or trucks parked because they are not jacked up. IF you read the jacking instructions in any vehicle owner's manual the first thing they tell you is to chock the wheel opposite the corner you are jacking. I will agree the chocking is likely not necessary on a level campsite however, if there is any degree of slope and especially on a loose surface you should chock.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:38 PM   #31

THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffThor325 View Post
I also use an ebike as my daily driver. Way more work than simply planting my rump in an oversized SUV where the only effort required is to mash the pedal on the right…
Ah…that explains a lot.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #32

THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
…IF you read the jacking instructions in any vehicle owner's manual the first thing they tell you is to chock the wheel opposite the corner you are jacking...
Apples and oranges. If you are going to jack up one wheel, then certainly you would chock the opposite corner wheel. But that’s not what the OP is talking about.

Chocking the wheels when getting fuel or doing a little grocery shopping at Walmart is just wasted effort. As I have said in other posts here, if you are parked with the parking brake set, where’s it gonna go?
Old 08-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #33

THOR #28145
Quote:
Apples and oranges. If you are going to jack up one wheel, then certainly you would chock the opposite corner wheel. But that’s not what the OP is talking about.

Chocking the wheels when getting fuel or doing a little grocery shopping at Walmart is just wasted effort. As I have said in other posts here, if you are parked with the parking brake set, where’s it gonna go?
The OP is talking about Chocking the wheels when deploying jacks.

Gee what idiot thinks the wheels need to be chocked while pumping gas? This forum is about chocking when deploying the leveling jacks while camping. Your post is off topic!!!!!

Old 08-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #34

THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
…Gee what idiot thinks the wheels need to be chocked while pumping gas? This forum is about chocking when deploying the leveling jacks while camping. Your post is off topic!!!!!
My post is NOT off topic. The “idiot” is in post #23. Here is a quote from that post:

“…I always chock my wheels. Every single time. Even when I'm just stopping for gas or a quick snack…”

There ya go.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:35 PM   #35

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkurtz502@gmail.com View Post
Afternoon all, .... Do you chock your motor home wheels when you park and put the levelers down? Do you do it after you level or before or ? just curious as to your process. I have always chocked DSide rear wheel front and back and perhaps both if on a graded non pavement /concrete surface just for safety sake. Just curious as to others parking process.

We just traded 40' A and downsized to sv34 Magnitude/600 chassis. Love this motor and chassis..
Quote:
My post is NOT off topic. The “idiot” is in post #23. Here is a quote from that post:

“…I always chock my wheels. Every single time. Even when I'm just stopping for gas or a quick snack…”

There ya go.
AH, post # 23 is also off topic. OP post #1 is talking about chocking for leveling.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:19 AM   #36

THOR #21937
Quote:

You are making sweeping generalizations based on zero first-hand knowledge. My parking brake cable has broken on me. Twice.

The fact that you publicly make sweeping judgments and ridicule my choices -- choices which don't affect you the slightest bit -- shows clearly what kind of person you are.

As for the original thread topic, I may have gone off slightly. I was merely trying to show that a little prudent precaution is not a bad idea.
Old 09-02-2023, 12:15 PM   #37

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #30293
I so appreciate reading your posts guys.. Always good morning coffee or afternoon adult beverage reading.... the post was meant to solicit your thoughts and practices and it sure did that .. I do appreciate your points of view and experience. Have a GREAT HOLIDAY weekend! Happy Trails!