Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2023, 06:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #21624
Class-C Hood Stains from (assuming) Roof

I've noticed after a rain I will get stains on my hood near the windshield. I assume this coming from my roof as the location of the stain is where the class-c "bubble" drops the rain from above. I power wash my roof 1-2 a year, but still notice this collection even after the first rain following a wash.
If I stay on top of it, I can wipe away the stain and looks like nothing was there. Ideally there would be a solution to avoid this collection in the first place.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you have a solution to avoid this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231228_182844147.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	44619   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231228_182852906.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	44620  

tuchmybuttercups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:49 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchmybuttercups View Post
I've noticed after a rain I will get stains on my hood near the windshield. I assume this coming from my roof as the location of the stain is where the class-c "bubble" drops the rain from above. I power wash my roof 1-2 a year, but still notice this collection even after the first rain following a wash.
If I stay on top of it, I can wipe away the stain and looks like nothing was there. Ideally there would be a solution to avoid this collection in the first place.

Maybe waxing with Rejex?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Normal. Search black stains for the hundreds of posts concerning this issue.

Bottom line is cleaning and waxing. Black stains are environmental and also effect the rain gutters on homes.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:50 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
well yes
solution is keeping the soot and dirt off the roof
scrub roof real good as well and you can try some protect ant, but it does not last long

then clean and WAX the hood really well, maybe 4 coats of wax.

if its parked for long periods, might look at a cover for the windshield and hood area to divert the rain and moisture away

but biggest way to keep it minimized is keeping roof free of all the stuff that falls on it
Old 12-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Agree with above. When last did you power wash the roof?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:02 PM   #6

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
OP said once or twice year.

Quote:
I power wash my roof 1-2 a year, but still notice this collection even after the first rain following a wash.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:16 PM   #7

THOR #28145
Quote:

Just out of curiosity is the staining always black or is it a different color in different parts of the country. For example, In Georgia at certain times of the year my vehicle would get yellow dust, which was pine tree pollen, in Texas it would be red of orange from the dust picked up by the ever-present wind, and of course In Detroit you are down wind from Gary Indiana and its steel plants.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Just out of curiosity is the staining always black or is it a different color in different parts of the country. For example, In Georgia at certain times of the year my vehicle would get yellow dust, which was pine tree pollen, in Texas it would be red of orange from the dust picked up by the ever-present wind, and of course In Detroit you are down wind from Gary Indeana and its steel plants.
The streaks on my rig can be black, gray or white depending on environmental factors such as type of pollen, dust etc
Old 12-29-2023, 04:14 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Wow, black streaks on an RV. I guess that's why they sell https://www.amazon.com/Camco-41008-S...822988&sr=8-10 I wash my roof in the spring after our major pollen bloom. It does cut down on the black streaks but doesn't eliminate them entirely. As to a power washer, I would never use one on any RV. They can leak from a gentile rain let alone water shot at them at 1000 psi.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:28 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If its a rubber membrane roof I dont think Id use a pressure washer on it. Soapy water, scrub brush and hose it off.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
If its a rubber membrane roof I dont think Id use a pressure washer on it. Soapy water, scrub brush and hose it off.
"Power" wash...lower pressure.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:58 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:

There is no way to eliminate the streak residue. A TPO roof naturally sheds during it's lifespan as explained by the roof membrane manufacturers. The dark streaking is the result of this shedding, combined with other environmental contaminates which collect on the roof - which may be just about any color.

Your pics indicate an extremely heavy buildup. While you cannot completely eliminate the streaks, the effects can be greatly minimized.

Start by following manufacturers instructions to thoroughly clean your roof. Usually mild detergent and a medium bristle brush is all that's needed. THOROUGHLY clean and rinse. How often you do this depends on your situation... it could be twice a year, or it could be once a month or more.

Thoroughly clean your entire motorhome... in your case make sure you remove ALL contaminates from the cab. Per instructions apply a good quality carnauba wax... I recommend two coats if it's never been waxed. Repeat every 6 months. It's more expensive but I use a product called RejeX... 2 coats twice a year.

Done correctly, when streaks do appear, a simple wash easily removes them. On my rig I can wipe a finger over the streaks and it comes right off. You want the roof residue sitting on the protective coating, NOT on the gelcoat or paint.

The results will be directly proportional to your efforts in keeping your rig clean and waxed... which DOES require quite a bit of old fashioned elbow grease!

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 12-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
There is no way to eliminate the streak residue. A TPO roof naturally sheds during it's lifespan as explained by the roof membrane manufacturers. The dark streaking is the result of this shedding, combined with other environmental contaminates which collect on the roof - which may be just about any color.

Your pics indicate an extremely heavy buildup. While you cannot completely eliminate the streaks, the effects can be greatly minimized.

Start by following manufacturers instructions to thoroughly clean your roof. Usually mild detergent and a medium bristle brush is all that's needed. THOROUGHLY clean and rinse. How often you do this depends on your situation... it could be twice a year, or it could be once a month or more.

Thoroughly clean your entire motorhome... in your case make sure you remove ALL contaminates from the cab. Per instructions apply a good quality carnauba wax... I recommend two coats if it's never been waxed. Repeat every 6 months. It's more expensive but I use a product called RejeX... 2 coats twice a year.

Done correctly, when streaks do appear, a simple wash easily removes them. On my rig I can wipe a finger over the streaks and it comes right off. You want the roof residue sitting on the protective coating, NOT on the gelcoat or paint.

The results will be directly proportional to your efforts in keeping your rig clean and waxed... which DOES require quite a bit of old fashioned elbow grease!

Good luck and happy camping!
Sound advice as I follow the same basic steps and streaks are not a problem for me either.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, hood, hood dirt, hood stain, stain