Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #31946
Class C Noisy when driving

My 2024 Class C Chateau 22E is very noisy on the road. The engine rev is the reason. I have to turn on the radio 4/5 notches to hear it. My wife and I need yell at each other to hear what we are talking about. That's not like in a car at all. Asked our dealer service but no help. Is there anyway to reduce the engine noise? Thanks for the advice.

2024 Thor Chateau 22E
RetiredTorng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:06 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Use the search feature. There are many posts from owners about adding sound deadener to the engine cover and or floor.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Here's one of MANY threads on this subject. This one contains pics of what I did to the floor of our class C.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...ass-27078.html
Old 03-01-2024, 07:51 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Your local stereo shop will probably be expert at installing sound deadener.
Use them.

There are only about 100,000 youtube videos on such a thing if you want to try it yourself. This is not an RV specific thing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:03 PM   #5

THOR #16721
I'm betting NO local stereo shop would ever have a clue of applying Bod Nodine's "wing wind pressure" fix... unless someone there has a class C. There ARE limits, but sometimes first hand experience is the mother of invention.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:08 PM   #6

THOR #31946
Engine noise

Thanks for all your post. I am not much capable of doing those works, but will give me an idea how much effort it takes. Thanks.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-01-2024, 08:21 PM   #7

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTorng View Post
Thanks for all your post. I am not much capable of doing those works, but will give me an idea how much effort it takes. Thanks.
Though it did not quite fully rear its head in this thread;
There's a problem on this site where people do not read the essence of the post, they just tell information, be it scalpel technique to a cardiovascular surgeon or the same scalpel techniques to someone who is in middle school, vivisecting the neighbors cat.
Ability and depth is seldom asked. Bottom line is some folk don't care if you tackle cat surgery and fail mid-task. They typed, they got to rah rah with no repercussion to them.

Honest,
Call your local stereo place, feel them out, drop off the RV, go have lunch, pick it up finished, professionally installed(as professionally as you can call such a career path),and guaranteed.
You'll have no mind-numbing decisions on hushmat vs kilzmat vs kilsmat, No tools to buy, no corporeal contortions under the dash, no stripped wood screws to reline the holes for....

And thanks to the op for their honesty.
I personally have vast limits, far more vast than my ability.

About new ventures/tasks I am unfamiliar with:
I do not ask myself
'Can I do this'
As often as I ask myself
'Who can do this for me'

Some things I just needn't learn.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:15 AM   #8

THOR #31946
Noisy engine

Thanks Duckface for your honest opinion. I am sure some members of this forum want to contribute, share their special ideas in solving the problems, demonstrating they are very capable of where their expertise in certain area. Although I don't quite understand their way of solving the problems, it kind of giving me some idea when I talk to the mechanics in the RV shop, hopefully I'll hear the same approach to my problems. I just have to clairfy my quations to get to the answer I can understand.

Like I claimed, I am quite ignorant in mechanics, all advices are welcomed, although I may not understand what some are talking about. Thanks again for all your advices.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-02-2024, 04:49 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Though it did not quite fully rear its head in this thread;
There's a problem on this site where people do not read the essence of the post, they just tell information, be it scalpel technique to a cardiovascular surgeon or the same scalpel techniques to someone who is in middle school, vivisecting the neighbors cat.
Ability and depth is seldom asked. Bottom line is some folk don't care if you tackle cat surgery and fail mid-task. They typed, they got to rah rah with no repercussion to them.

Honest,
Call your local stereo place, feel them out, drop off the RV, go have lunch, pick it up finished, professionally installed(as professionally as you can call such a career path),and guaranteed.
You'll have no mind-numbing decisions on hushmat vs kilzmat vs kilsmat, No tools to buy, no corporeal contortions under the dash, no stripped wood screws to reline the holes for....

And thanks to the op for their honesty.
I personally have vast limits, far more vast than my ability.

About new ventures/tasks I am unfamiliar with:
I do not ask myself
'Can I do this'
As often as I ask myself
'Who can do this for me'

Some things I just needn't learn.
I know that feeling well. It's probably why as kids my older brother always talked me into putting the chain back on HIS bike. He had a knack for that! Rest his soul...
Old 03-02-2024, 02:39 PM   #10

Model: Thor Quantum WS31
State: Colorado
THOR #31987
Quote:
My 2024 Class C Chateau 22E is very noisy on the road. The engine rev is the reason. I have to turn on the radio 4/5 notches to hear it. My wife and I need yell at each other to hear what we are talking about. That's not like in a car at all. Asked our dealer service but no help. Is there anyway to reduce the engine noise? Thanks for the advice.
Yes - It can be noisy! Our solution is to have each front seat passenger wear an Apple EarPod - the model that can be paired together. A place like BestBut can tell you what type to buy. It is a little expensive but just a one time investment Once the EarPods are paired together you can both listen to music together, or what we like to do is listen to an audiobook from Audible. The pods can be set to cancel out all the outside noise, or you can set it to hear some outside noise. We use our EarPods on every trip and they make the miles just fly by! Hope this helps- enjoy your ride!!
Old 03-02-2024, 03:50 PM   #11

THOR #13932
Above is some very socially irresponsible advice that may be illegal in some districts, towns, counties, states.

While I'm not in perfect agreement with the laws governing such, I'm pretty much in agreement with the societal contract involved.

Last night, a neighbor came over for some novice, but clear, advice.
I heard only his side of the story.
He's in the court process due to a traffic instance he denies even happened.
He says it's a hausfrau(apparently one with connections) making an accusation. The brunt of it involves him not hearing her honk her horn repeatedly. Cops at his door at 3am, several hours after the incident, a judge threatening him, a sentencing date set(I doubt this but he perceives this)...all due to what he says is unheard horn blasts in traffic while two cars tried to fill the same hole in traffic.

As hearing and earphones are interrelated, you have to give weight(ponder) the ramifications of such things while driving.

I know all of the arguments asking for earphones to be treated as a responsible usage type tool.
Radio volume(historical)
Personal hearing maladies(personal)
Ambient traffic noise(locale)
However;
You all know damn well the level of irresponsibilty out there on the road.

(Yup, I know all about Bluetooth hearing aids. A jury would slap you silly due to a defense of 'common useage')

Old 03-02-2024, 05:15 PM   #12

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Swede View Post
Yes - It can be noisy! Our solution is to have each front seat passenger wear an Apple EarPod - the model that can be paired together. A place like BestBut can tell you what type to buy. It is a little expensive but just a one time investment Once the EarPods are paired together you can both listen to music together, or what we like to do is listen to an audiobook from Audible. The pods can be set to cancel out all the outside noise, or you can set it to hear some outside noise. We use our EarPods on every trip and they make the miles just fly by! Hope this helps- enjoy your ride!!
This is a great suggestion, outside of box thinking. Thank you very much. My only concern is will I be able to hear the traffic around me? Especially when I change lanes? Or someone is trying to alert me on the road? Anyway, a good advice, thank you.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-02-2024, 05:20 PM   #13

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Above is some very socially irresponsible advice that may be illegal in some districts, towns, counties, states.

While I'm not in perfect agreement with the laws governing such, I'm pretty much in agreement with the societal contract involved.

Last night, a neighbor came over for some novice, but clear, advice.
I heard only his side of the story.
He's in the court process due to a traffic instance he denies even happened.
He says it's a hausfrau(apparently one with connections) making an accusation. The brunt of it involves him not hearing her honk her horn repeatedly. Cops at his door at 3am, several hours after the incident, a judge threatening him, a sentencing date set(I doubt this but he perceives this)...all due to what he says is unheard horn blasts in traffic while two cars tried to fill the same hole in traffic.

As hearing and earphones are interrelated, you have to give weight(ponder) the ramifications of such things while driving.

I know all of the arguments asking for earphones to be treated as a responsible usage type tool.
Radio volume(historical)
Personal hearing maladies(personal)
Ambient traffic noise(locale)
However;
You all know damn well the level of irresponsibilty out there on the road.

(Yup, I know all about Bluetooth hearing aids. A jury would slap you silly due to a defense of 'common useage')
Thank you for your careful thought. A great suggestion, but that is indeed my concern. Thank you for sharing the concern.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-02-2024, 05:38 PM   #14

THOR #16721
We hear all the buzz about AI nowadays. With all the technology available today, I would think automotive cabin engineers could design an integrated "audio interference/cancelling" device which detects selectable resonate frequencies and attenuates them.

You could make the interior nearly silent. Know frequencies/patterns such as sirens, horns and such could be programmed to ignore.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:29 PM   #15

Model: Thor Quantum WS31
State: Colorado
THOR #31987
Noisy Engine

Quote:
This is a great suggestion, outside of box thinking. Thank you very much. My only concern is will I be able to hear the traffic around me? Especially when I change lanes? Or someone is trying to alert me on the road? Anyway, a good advice, thank you.
Just wanted to mention - when in heavy traffic areas and in cities, my wife and I do not use the EarPods.

We find they work well on the open road (and there is a setting that doesn't block out all noise) and you can definitely still hear someone honk

Happy Trails

Steve and MArcia
Old 03-02-2024, 09:42 PM   #16

THOR #31946
Noisy Engine

Excellent. Your experience is valuable. Thank you.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-02-2024, 09:43 PM   #17

THOR #31946
Engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We hear all the buzz about AI nowadays. With all the technology available today, I would think automotive cabin engineers could design an integrated "audio interference/cancelling" device which detects selectable resonate frequencies and attenuates them.

You could make the interior nearly silent. Know frequencies/patterns such as sirens, horns and such could be programmed to ignore.
Creative thinking. Maybe someday.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-06-2024, 01:36 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Florida
THOR #29103
Quote:
My 2024 Class C Chateau 22E is very noisy on the road. The engine rev is the reason...
I have found that a lot of our engine and road noise in my 2019 Four Winds 23U was coming into the cab thru a gap that ran the full width between the cab and house floors right behind the driver's/passenger's seats. That gap was 1//2" to 1" wide and only covered with the factory rubber floor matting. We filled in the gap with spray foam and it made a noticeable difference.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:06 PM   #19

THOR #30798
At 22 feet you are not much larger than a long box dually pickup. Don't overthink it, work on the noise issue.

Drive your own speed, the Corollas and sedans will be staying far away from you.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:13 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Virginia
THOR #21446
Time solves issue

Your RV is fairly new. When I bought my new RV it was also loud. I did put kilmat under the dog house which helped.

I also noticed as time went on the noise was reduced quite a bit, which I attribute to the engine naturally breaking in (as well as a little better gas mileage also).

Something to consider if you can live with the condition a little longer or prefer not to tackle a modification.

Happy travels!