Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #21273
Coach Power Issues

We have a 2017 29 Freedom Elite and are having issues with power to the coach. When we hookup to shore power and run the generator everything works great, however, we do not have power in the coach without either of these sources. I have read different threads on this topic and the only conclusion I can come to is a problem with the inverter. Any help that can be provided will be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
The converter takes 120VAC and converts to 12VDC.... this is only powered when either shore or generator is on. All lights are on the 12VDC.
However, when neither is on the power for the 12VDC comes from the house batteries. Check to see the conditions of the battery, and whether or not the house breaker (located somewhere near the batteries) has tripped or not. Small black box where the battery cables go to, if you see a yellow flag sticking out it is tripped.
Reset it if it is.
There can also be a fuse on the 12VDC line.... typically a small box on the battery cable right on the terminal.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Define "power".

You have two different electrical systems in an RV:

1 - 120 VAC just like your house that is only available if you are on SP, or have the generator running. Some RVs may have an inverter to supply 120 VAC to select outlets from battery power; mostly just the TVs and a residential fridge if so equipped.

2 - 12 VDC to power lights, furnace, control power for the thermostat, A/C, water heater, propane fridge. Can be supplied by the House battery bank or the Converter/Charger if on SP or generator running. This is also the source of power for an Inverter if you have one and larger MHs with larger inverters may also have battery charging capability built in. In that case you would not have a Converter/Charger.

So what is your question again?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
Check to see the conditions of the battery, and whether or not the house breaker (located somewhere near the batteries) has tripped or not. Small black box where the battery cables go to, if you see a yellow flag sticking out it is tripped.
Reset it if it is.
There can also be a fuse on the 12VDC line.... typically a small box on the battery cable right on the terminal.
Looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-16.png
Views:	53
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	29007  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
As stated... we need more information to diagnos whether you have an AC voltage problem, DC problem problem or actually no problem!
Old 03-10-2021, 12:38 AM   #6

THOR #21273
A little clarification for my previous question about coach power. We can not operate anything in the coach (lights, appliances, charging stations etc..) without being plugged into shore power or turning on the generator. When we first purchased we could operate parts of the coach based on flipping the switch marked use/store.

I hope this clears up my question(s) and I appreciate the feedback thus far.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:01 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma2017 View Post
A little clarification for my previous question about coach power. We can not operate anything in the coach (lights, appliances, charging stations etc..) without being plugged into shore power or turning on the generator. When we first purchased we could operate parts of the coach based on flipping the switch marked use/store.

I hope this clears up my question(s) and I appreciate the feedback thus far.
It still works that way. However, you must have a fully charged battery supply to Battery Disconnect must be IN USE.Don't use this switch unless you are In Storage.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 AM   #8

THOR #21273
We had a fully charged battery this weekend and the switch place to “use” and did not have power
Old 03-10-2021, 02:26 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
We had a fully charged battery this weekend and the switch place to “use” and did not have power
How do you know the house battery bank was fully charged? Did you measure it with a voltmeter at the batteries?

Or if you relied on the "Battery Status" indication on the control and display panel and you had SP connected or generator running that indicator will NOT give you your battery status as the converter voltage overrides that.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #10

THOR #21273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Looks like this:
Would I find this inside the coach or outside of near the battery cables?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Would I find this inside the coach or outside of near the battery cables?
Usually in the coach battery compartment or somewhere close by
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #12
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
We nor an rv repair man could ever find that mysterious " black box"
Old 03-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
See post #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
We nor an rv repair man could ever find that mysterious " black box"
Old 03-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #19666
Coach Power reset

I had the very same problem and after two exhaustive days following dozens of threads, I finally found the reset button. I found it inside the compartment behind the circuit breaker box located in the bedroom. Once you removed the circuit breaker box, look for those two elec. cables on the left side. You can't see where the reset button at so run your finger through those cables until it attaches to a terminal on the left wall. That little reset button is mounted on that terminal. Run through with your fingers and you will feel it. I hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:59 PM   #15
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Thanks. We actually have tried there, the engine as suggested, near the batteries....laid on the ground looking everywhere for it. Never found it. We'll be at Thor in May. Hopefully they can find it.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:49 AM   #16

THOR #21273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacabo View Post
I had the very same problem and after two exhaustive days following dozens of threads, I finally found the reset button. I found it inside the compartment behind the circuit breaker box located in the bedroom. Once you removed the circuit breaker box, look for those two elec. cables on the left side. You can't see where the reset button at so run your finger through those cables until it attaches to a terminal on the left wall. That little reset button is mounted on that terminal. Run through with your fingers and you will feel it. I hope this helps.
We have a 29 Freedom Elite, do you have the same model? Is this a standard place to find the reset button?
Old 03-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #17

State: Alaska
THOR #19666
Coach Power reset

Hi! Ours is a 2014 model but I'm not sure if Freedom Elites have the same locations for its coach power reset considering Thor's notoriety as far as locations for these reset buttons. It's worth a try to go to this location if you encounter power failure next time.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #18

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Looks like this:
That's interesting, on our 2014 Thor Challenger, the reset button you pictured is located behind the Chassis battery and it's ONLY purpose is to power the Lippert leveling jacks... nothing else.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Ontario
THOR #10180
12V Relay Switch

Regarding lack of 12V in Class C I had a similar problem on my 2017 Four Winds 23U. I had lights on shore power and generator but no power when I was not connected or running generator. After checking several of the resets I found I had a bad relay switch made by Intellitec. When I used the storage switch I would hear the solenoid clunk but still no power... The relay switch had failed and I was not getting any power pass it for 12V. A simple check with a volt meter confirmed the problem. I called Thor Technical and they were very helpful once I had tracked the problem down.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
OK. 2019 Windsport. I have read too many posts today on battery life and charging... my head is spinning. So, please help me understand what I thought I read.... If I plug into shore power and the red light comes on for the battery disconnect, I still may not be charging my batteries? Because the switch is actually still off? Even though the red light is on? And everything else in the RV is working?

Meaning I should always be on batteries (switch "on") BEFORE I connect to shore power? Leaving a light on when I get to camp to be sure as I hook up?

Also meaning that the red light is useless????

Help!