Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Oregon
THOR #22143
Cold Weather Camping (sub freezing)

Hello, I wanted to take my 2020 FourWinds up to the ski resort for a few days. The weather will range from 7 at night to 25 during the day. I don't have "heated tanks" that I know of. I will have Electrical Hookups but no water hookups. Am I ok if I only fill my holding tank halfway and keep the temperture inside the Motorhome above 65 at all times using a high powered electric space heater? Can I place additional space heaters near the water pump and near the Fresh Tank to keep the temperture up? I don't want to do any damage.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I do not know what the construction of the Four Winds does for placement of tank. etc... so I am not going to try to answer your question.

I will, however, say welcome to the forum.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wekcome aboard.
Since you haven't got the kinks worked of this stuff yet: you might better just stay in the Lodge...
Old 02-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #4

Model: Omni RB34
State: Oregon
THOR #20891
Keep the under sink cabinet doors open to help keep interior pipes warm. I don’t know your rig, so I can’t speak to exterior exposure.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We’re in central Texas on our snowbird trip and the high is mid 20’s. Keeping warm with two space heaters and an occasional run of the furnace. I did a partial winterization yesterday to get antifreeze into the basement pipes and especially the water pump. If you had a small heat source in your water compartment you might be ok but 7 degrees is going to be tough. We’re heading further south tomorrow so should be able to thaw out again. At least until Monday. We have several gallons of bottled water for drinking, coffee and such and we are manually flushing the toilet with water and antifreeze. I’m not concerned with frozen holding tanks because we’ll be warm again before they get filled. I’m running the water heater once or twice a day to keep it from freezing too.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:07 AM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I’ve been in freezing weather overnight with temps getting above freezing during the day in my Class C. I have a slide and run an extension cord to the pedestal to run my 1500w oil filled electric heater and we keep warm. Propane heater tends to come on early in the morning. Holding tanks are fine in those conditions.

However, being below freezing night and day is a different story. Holding tank contents in a Class C will likely freeze unless you add anti-freeze to them. I have heated tanks and would not trust the heaters to keep up. Plus the coach is not insulated well enough for that environment. Everything I’ve read says “don’t do it, it’s not worth the risk”. I tend to agree and personally would not stay in below freezing weather for more than a day. That’s my engineer based assessment. You may be more risk tolerant than me.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:27 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
I hear a 60w light bulb (Incandescent) will work in your water/sewer basement compartment or under your holding tanks if you have access.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:05 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Antifreeze in the tanks is a good idea...
But it won't protect any of the pipes under the RV.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:14 AM   #9

THOR #6826
7 degrees might defeat a light bulb though especially if the high during the day remains under freezing.

Other thing to consider in very cold weather is condensation. We have double pane windows but the windshield was just dripping with it this morning. I actually opened a window and turned on a roof vent fan today for a while despite the cold just to air us out some.

Closing your slides won’t keep the water warm but it’ll make it easier for you to stay comfortable. And it’ll keep the snow off your toppers if that is a concern.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We have two registers in the basement however I use a heat tape that has a built in thermostat on the wet bay piping. The water pump is there as well and keeping the basement in the 45 degree range along with the heat tape works well.

The heat tape is plugged into an outlet supplied by the inverter so this works both on the road and plugged in to shore power
Old 02-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Cracking a roof vent helps a lot with reducing condensation. We humans exhale quite a lot of moisture, it's not just from burning propane.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
I've read out here somewhere the valves usually fail first in freezing temps.

With highs of 25, you could be in for a hard freeze. I'd see if there was a way to introduce some of that antifreeze to surround the valve.

The outlet pipes to the holding tanks fill first. The heat tape mentioned prior is a good way to combat that problem.

I have tank heaters, likely because the rig came from Oregon. I don't do cold weather myself.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #13

State: Maryland
THOR #10255
Winter Camping

When I winter camp, I keep my water lines and drains filled with antifreeze. There is no way that I can keep the tank valves from freezing with water/waste in them. I you realy want to, you can use the toilet by flushing with antifreeze.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:32 AM   #14

State: Ohio
THOR #3538
Talk to the factory they can give you facts about what you can do should do and no way. The propane heater in the coach should keep any tanks and plumbing from freezing into the 20’s. That is why using too much extra heaters that don’t run through the ducts can cause problems. The factory rep told me the 20’s is okay but anything less than that is not recommended. I have a Tuscany XTE if that matters.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:46 AM   #15

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Camped in many RVs skiing over many years NEVER use the water system. Bring drinking water and all paper utensils. Use the toilet in the bar.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:16 AM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Whatever you decide I would get several gallons of the RV pink stuff and use that for all toilet flushing.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Whatever you decide I would get several gallons of the RV pink stuff and use that for all toilet flushing.

I alternate flushing with pink stuff and water but it probably would be more conservative to use all antifreeze.