Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 01:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 4 Winds
State: Nevada
THOR #24624
Fueling up

I have a Mercedes diesel chassis with a 26 gallon fuel tank. My question has anyone with the same setup stopped at travel center and used the same pumps as the 18 wheelers. my understandIng is that you can at these pumps also get DEF At the same time. I never tried it as I usually just use the Rv lane if provided or the regular pump if diesel is offered. Interested in if anyone has used the truckers pump and your experience. Also heard, not sure if true or not that the nozzles at these pumps were larger and couldn’t be used. Thank you

Old 09-15-2021, 01:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
I have a Mercedes diesel chassis with a 26 gallon fuel tank. My question has anyone with the same setup stopped at travel center and used the same pumps as the 18 wheelers. my understandIng is that you can at these pumps also get DEF At the same time. I never tried it as I usually just use the Rv lane if provided or the regular pump if diesel is offered. Interested in if anyone has used the truckers pump and your experience. Also heard, not sure if true or not that the nozzles at these pumps were larger and couldn’t be used. Thank you
Truck lane nozzles are twice or three times the size and pump fuel at a very high rate. Many passenger type vehicles can’t accept the larger nozzle or keep shutting down because of the high flow rate. I use truck lanes only and I can pump over 75 gallons into my 100 gallon tank in less time than it takes to put 18 gallons of gas in the Grand Cherokee.

If you can and decide to use the truck lanes learn the etiquette. An individual towing a fifth wheel about got his butt kicked by a number of truckers that he was holding up while twiddling his thumbs at the pump after filling up.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:16 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
1st thing

your vehicle needs to be set up for the high flow fuel pumps truckers use. Check inside your fuel filler neck to see if the baffle is still there. If so you should not unless you opt to remove the baffle. If it is not there realize that truck pumps flow at 30-40 gpm. A moment of distraction will result in a diesel shower you will never forget.