Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
What's that lying under Maggie?

Leaving for work they other day, I noticed a metal bar lying under the driver side of our BH35 (we named her Maggie). It was lying below the propane tank compartment, and I was pretty sure I hadn't misplaced anything. I crawled underneath to take a peek, and surprise! There was a headless self tap sheet metal screw stuck in one of the running board L bracket supports. The About 18" away to the rear was a similar metal bar still in place. As it turns out, it was just barely in place. As soon as I touched it, out it fell. Another headless self tapper fail!

The square tab of the bar inserts into a structural rail, and the tail is supposed to be fastened to the L brackets by two fasteners. Each bar was fastened with one rather anemic sheet metal screw. My diagnosis is that the use of the wrong fastener and the wrong amount of fasteners allowed enough flex to fatigue the thing and break it.

The amazing thing is that we have just returned from a 1500 mile trip, and they managed to hang on until we parked it. It's a warranty issue, but we are scheduled to head out again in two weeks. My history with RV repairs tells me it'll take them at least that long just to look at it. So, I plan to repair it myself and use quality fasteners. I think I'll drill the holes out and use 1/4-20 bolts and locking nuts. While I'm down there I'll be looking to make sure this isn't replicated elsewhere.

If you have a Magnitude or Omni, it's probably worth having a look. I'm betting this isn't an isolated case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3232.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	29177  

2022 Jeep Sahara EcoDiesel (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 03-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Someone else reported an identical problem not long ago. Seems like somebody in the factory goes wild with the impact driver with those screws.

Same with the screws on the Schwintek slide bars. I've found several of them with broken screws or screws spun so much they lost their bite in the material they are fastened to. I've replaced several screws after gluing pieces of match sticks in the original holes.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Yup, already have a thread on the issue with multiple folks reporting the fix

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...off-24782.html

I will close this thread as a duplicate shortly.