Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #21864
Diesel filling problems

Can't seem to put fuel in my new Magnitude except so slow it takes 30 minutes to fill.

Dealer says they can’t fix. Called Thor and was told it’s a Ford problem. Called Ford and they are not sure it’s their issue.

It was suggested to me that I extend the levelers to tilt the unit to one side which would allow fuel to flow up the pipe.

Heard it’s a common problem. Makes for some agitated truckers behind me when I’m at the pump for 30 minutes.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Make sure the vent line is open and check to see if you can see any rise in the filler hose

I used to carry a block to tilt some of my F450-550's so they would fill better
Old 04-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: this sounds like a vent line issue...
Check it's routing.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Do a search in the thread. If I am not mistaken folks have reported a kinked fuel line between the filler and the tank on the Magnitudes and Omnis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34. Unfortunately, you cannot use the high-flow diesel truck pumps.

The high-flow pumps are designed to dump into the wide-mouth tanks with no plumbing that you see on semi's or a heavy duty trucks that have the filler attached directly to the fuel tank through a straight pipe.

The Magnitude has fittings and hoses that have 45 - 90 degree bends in them to go from the filler to the actual fuel tank. As a result, the diesel starts to foam as it hits the obstructing bends in the plumbing and then backs up.... causing the pump to shut off. You have to barely crack the handle and let it pump slowly.... which defeats the purpose.

The front tank can sometimes take the faster flow better but the rear tank cannot.

I typically only fill up at Auto Diesel Pumps and then it is a non-issue. I tow a Jeep and sometimes a trailer with a Can-Am Spyder. I just pick and choose stations where the Auto Diesel Pump is easily accessible.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:32 PM   #6

Model: Omni sv34
State: Minnesota
THOR #20471
CW worked with a bus repair place under warranty to attempt to fix that issue and the DEF fill issue.
The diesel rear tank is a design flaw and is not fixable.
I figured out by holding the fill nozzle upside down the fuel goes in just fine.
Give it a try.
Good luck
Old 04-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #7

THOR #21864
What does it say when the simplest thing to engineer on a vehicle like a pipe that goes to a tank does not work. The concept that fluids don’t flow uphill is a basic one.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uralman View Post
What does it say when the simplest thing to engineer on a vehicle like a pipe that goes to a tank does not work. The concept that fluids don’t flow uphill is a basic one.
It is not fluid flowing up hill.... it is having a design that can handle 30 gallons / minute.

The issue is where the tanks are located on the chassis versus where the fillers are located based on the design and layout of the coach.

I doubt anyone at Thor ever thought about people using pumps that put out 30 gallon / minute. You either need to be dispensing directly into the tank (like semi's do) or having a short and wide straight pipe or hose directly to the tank.

As I said, it worls just fine with an Auto Diesel Pump. Holding the nozzle upside is problematic at best in my experience.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #9

THOR #21864
Mine works marginally better at an auto diesel pump. But I haven’t tried upside down. Still have to hold it while it trickles in.
Makes fueling up a huge hassle.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Mine works marginally better at an auto diesel pump. But I haven’t tried upside down. Still have to hold it while it trickles in.
Makes fueling up a huge hassle.

Then you have another issue. I would crawl under the coach and make sure there is not a kink or very tight bend in the hose as was posted earlier. A few people have had the issue where the hose was cut too long and then kinks where it needed to gently bend.

I have no issues at the fastest of Auto Diesel Pumps.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Only a 26 gallon (or so....) tank here; but it always fills the way you would think that it should.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #12

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
On ours the front tank was terrible and the back tank would fill fine.
The front tank had to much hose that went up hill over the frame.
I cut 4 inches off the hose and re routed it and now fills fine.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:21 AM   #13

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I have problems filling the front tank and while under the RV today changing the oil and filter on the generator I had a look at the filler hose. It goes down a rubber line to a metal pipe which runs up hill to a rubber hose that goes in the fuel tank. I'm going to re-route it up over a gusset on the frame instead of under it and shorten up some of the rubber hose. Should solve the issue.
Had to do the same thing with my DEF filler line the routing on it was terrible.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #14

THOR #21864
I heard from Thor about this issue. Their only solution was to take it to another service center.
I would have preferred that they call the dealer and walk them through what is needed to make the repair.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since they told you that they couldn't fix it: I think that Thor's advice might just be your best bet...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #16

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Can seem to put fuel in my new Magnitude except so slow it takes 30 minutes to fill.

Dealer says they can’t fix. Called Thor and was told it’s a Ford problem. Called Ford and they are not sure it’s their issue.

It was suggested to me that I extend the levelers to tilt the unit to one side which would allow fuel to flow up the pipe.

Heard it’s a common problem. Makes for some agitated truckers behind me when I’m at the pump for 30 minutes.
First, is it the front or rear filler? If front read on.

I had a serious issue with filling the front tank. It would fill and then shut the hose off, over and over again. I got under the coach and inspected the fill line. (you don't need to lift it, there is plenty of room to crawl under). The fill line had a slight bend that made the filler oval at the bend. it didn't have a natural bend. I tried to relax it, put a clamp around it, but nothing would fix it, it was literally twisted in order to make the angle to the filler box. So I removed the line and went to NAPA Auto and got a more rigid filler hose and put it in. So here is the issue, the fuel door does not align with the tank, when they put it in they had to give it about a quarter to half turn in order to align with the box. So when I put the new hose in I could not put all the screws in the filler neck, where it attaches to the fuel box behind the door, and couldn't make it flush. So I left all but one of the screws out and the hose connection to the filler box slightly off on one side. I no longer have any issues it fills just fine. I didn't take this to the dealer because my selling dealer is 300 miles away. The local dealer is months out and it was a $20 fix.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #17

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Then you have another issue. I would crawl under the coach and make sure there is not a kink or very tight bend in the hose as was posted earlier. A few people have had the issue where the hose was cut too long and then kinks where it needed to gently bend.

I have no issues at the fastest of Auto Diesel Pumps.
When I removed my generator I discovered why there is this issue, at least on my rig. The back plate of the filler neck housing is at around a 50 degree angle and results in the filler neck pointing down below the tube leading to the tank (it is less pronounced on my aft tank). If they used a 21 degree back plate, it would line up perfectly. I plan on purchasing a 21 degree back plate once they come back into stock. I'll attach a picture later when I come back from storage.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #18

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
When I removed my generator I discovered why there is this issue, at least on my rig. The back plate of the filler neck housing is at around a 50 degree angle and results in the filler neck pointing down below the tube leading to the tank (it is less pronounced on my aft tank). If they used a 21 degree back plate, it would line up perfectly. I plan on purchasing a 21 degree back plate once they come back into stock. I'll attach a picture later when I come back from storage.
Here's the picture. You can buy the back plates or a new filler box if you are real enthusiastic and can match the outside paint, from fillernecksupply.com
If you had the ability to make a wedge to put on the back to straighten the filler tube, that's also another way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703(1).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	29861  
Old 04-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #19

Model: 2021 Thor Omni BH35
THOR #20328
Quote:
Can seem to put fuel in my new Magnitude except so slow it takes 30 minutes to fill.

Uralman,

I live in Arizona and had this issue with our BH35. it took even longer to fill the tanks. This is 100% a Ford issue and I had to be very stern with our dealer to have them fix ours. The vent tubes when they install the house sometimes have a low spot because they are routed on the bottom of the filler tube. Ford fixed this for me after a lot of complaining. You dealer should be aware of the issue.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:09 AM   #20

State: Maryland
THOR #23851
i found if you open both caps i have not had a problem but still not at full spead