Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: WS31
State: Wisconsin
THOR #25771
Drain Hose keeps coming off

Does anyone have an issue with the drain hose from the kitchen sink to the grey tank coming off when the slide is moved in and out?
Our 2022 WS31 Quantum has been plaguing me since day one. Here is what happened, after finding a leak in the slide where the drain from sink to tank is, dealership puts in a new hose and things seem ok until we leave AZ for home in WI. Along the way back, hose comes off and I get it back on and keep an I on it.
I'm now in the process of getting it looked at but the closest dealership can't get to me until July, the factory isn't any time sooner either.
I think the hose is too stiff and puts to much pressure on the connection and it pulls out. Thoughts??
In the mean time I have put it back together with some Gorrilla tape to hold it it in place.
Anyone else have this happen??
Thanks

Old 05-01-2022, 02:33 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had the same problem in my Winnebago. I never did come up with a permanent fix. Just checked it regularly and made the best of it. I think you’ll be able to make it workable if you do the same. But when it came time to trade I had a firm rule against plumbing in a slide. Live and learn.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:43 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
On our 2019 windsport 29M I had the same problem. Take a heavy tie wrap strap around the drain hose another one around the abs pipe then slip another tie wrap through the two and tighten. This will keep the house from pulling off. I also replaced the abs piece that goes into the gray tank with a swivel abs connector. This way when the slide out retracts and extends the abs pipe moves. Mine would keep shearing the connector on the tank. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have. Magnitude Super C and had a similar issue from day one and the dealer was useless.

The dealer tech who tried to fix it was a moron. He secured the hose to the slide floor so when the slide moved it would pull the hose out of the connector since the grey tank and fitting was stationary.

It's just a crappy Thor design. I put a bracket on the back of the grey tank connector and a clamp on the hose and then zip tied the hose to the connector through the hose clamp and to the bracket. Mine has never come off again.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #5

THOR #25771
Thanks, for the reply. That pretty much is how it was installed from the start. Trouble is it keeps pulling out. I'm now thinking the drain is supposed to swivel as well when the slide goes in and out. I can move the drain pipe but it really takes some effort. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #6

THOR #25771
Kitchen drain issue

So here is a pic of what keeps coming off....my question now is should the elbow
going in to the tank move freely with the slide going in and out? If so it's not doing it easily...can it possibly be to tight and is it just threaded in to the tank? I'll be trying to get a hold of Thor tomorrow

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CD354DC-A374-44EF-A630-9573793B2A4C.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	37237
Old 05-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedoll50@gmail.com View Post
So here is a pic of what keeps coming off....my question now is should the elbow
going in to the tank move freely with the slide going in and out? If so it's not doing it easily...can it possibly be to tight and is it just threaded in to the tank? I'll be trying to get a hold of Thor tomorrow

Attachment 37237

The elbow is stationary! It is physically attached to the grey tank and does not move with the slide. That is why there is a slot cut in the slide box floor and a black material "bag" around for sealing as the slide moves in and out around the elbow.

The hose is flexible so it can move with the slide. I actually used a metal clamp and bracket that went around the hose and the elbow eventually instead of the zip tie approach. The fitting is just a hand-tightened compression fitting and it does not grab securely enough. It won't leak but enough movement of then hose can eventually pull it out.

Again.... you are better off fixing it yourself than using a dealer. I won't have access to my coach for a couple weeks but I can post a picture of what I did once I'm back north.

One immediately obvious issue is that there is an angular strain on the hose that is not helping. I would re-route and move the hose so it is going straight into the compression fitting and then try to secure hose in a way that it stays straight right where it goes into the elbow. Right now you have it bending and not all of the hose is inside the compression fitting, which is not helping the situation.

Once you get it straight, you can try to really crank down on the nut with a pipe wrench but not too much so you don't break the elbow or strip it.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #8

THOR #25771
Judge, I have straightened the elbow and the hose going into it. It seems like the elbow moves when the slide goes in and out causing it to pull the hose out. I'm thinking the bag is causing some binding as well on the elbow. Can't wait to see what you have done.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #9

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Watching. I cut the 90' off, attached a rubber reduction connector to pipe coming out of gray tank installed new longer flexible pipe connected the 2 with piece of rigid pipe.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Judge, I have straightened the elbow and the hose going into it. It seems like the elbow moves when the slide goes in and out causing it to pull the hose out. I'm thinking the bag is causing some binding as well on the elbow. Can't wait to see what you have done.
Thanks.
My elbow does not move. Yours may have not been glued in properly or it may have broken at the tank.

The bag just has a cut through it so plumbing and electrical can stay in place while the slide moves around it.

My fix is fairly simple as I recall (been 3 years since I did it). I just have a couple pieces of metal connected together around the elbow and hose to keep the hose from being able to be pulled out. I'll post it when I get to the coach.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:04 AM   #11

THOR #31613
Sink Drain line Disconnecting BUYER BE WARE!!

Just bought a Brand New 2024 Challenger 37FH less than 24 hours flooded the inside. I thought there was some red flags at pick up and was lead to believe it was ice maker/water in the door that the tech "accidently" did it. Slides were closed at this time. We didn't open the slides again any until we got to our next stop the next morning when we got to our 1st hook up site. My husband went to wash his hand and instantly water was pouring out the corner of the pantry near the fridge into the floor. Opened the floor of the pantry to find the sink line has popped out of the drain. Had to wait until Monday morning to get it to a service center and they can not guarantee its not going to happen again. I'm reading not 1st to have this issue. Service center said the manufacturer has no guaranted remedy to keep this from happen again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240111_154748.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	44773   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240112_055404.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	44774  

Name:	20240113_133039.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	44775   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240113_133044.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	44776  

Old 01-17-2024, 02:07 PM   #12

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:

Attachment 37237
I'd be adding screen to that vent- mice can jump 3-4'
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:14 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph0122 View Post
Just bought a Brand New 2024 Challenger 37FH less than 24 hours flooded the inside. I thought there was some red flags at pick up and was lead to believe it was ice maker/water in the door that the tech "accidently" did it. Slides were closed at this time. We didn't open the slides again any until we got to our next stop the next morning when we got to our 1st hook up site. My husband went to wash his hand and instantly water was pouring out the corner of the pantry near the fridge into the floor. Opened the floor of the pantry to find the sink line has popped out of the drain. Had to wait until Monday morning to get it to a service center and they can not guarantee its not going to happen again. I'm reading not 1st to have this issue. Service center said the manufacturer has no guaranted remedy to keep this from happen again.
Call Thor and ask for permission to use a mobile tech. Most RV dealer techs are capable of repairing a kiddie car let alone a complex vehicle. A good mobile tech should have you fixed in no time with a fix that will last.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:37 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
And next time do NOT buy an RV that has plumbing in a slide. Drains, water, gas supply, electrical connectors can all come loose, get pinched, or otherwise malfunction and cause serious issues. RV builders are lazy and incompetent and figure that the chances of damages occurring during warranty are worth the cost cutting instead of doing it right. It's possible to make flexible connections that have less chances of leaking and coming loose, but bottom feeder builders don't use them.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
And next time do NOT buy an RV that has plumbing in a slide. Drains, water, gas supply, electrical connectors can all come loose, get pinched, or otherwise malfunction and cause serious issues. RV builders are lazy and incompetent and figure that the chances of damages occurring during warranty are worth the cost cutting instead of doing it right. It's possible to make flexible connections that have less chances of leaking and coming loose, but bottom feeder builders don't use them.
Our prior Challenger had the kitchen in a slide and we never, repeat never had a problem with any plumbing or electrical. My current rig has the stove and microwave in the slide and again no problems.

Your statement is subjective at best and no one should walk away from any floor plan they like based on one person’s opinion.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Our prior Challenger had the kitchen in a slide and we never, repeat never had a problem with any plumbing or electrical. My current rig has the stove and microwave in the slide and again no problems.

Your statement is subjective at best and no one should walk away from any floor plan they like based on one person’s opinion.
Our ACE also has the kitchen in the slide. Never had a leak on either the supply or drain hoses either.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:00 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #24216
Our 2022 Quantum required enlargement of the opening between the bedroom wall and front slide through which the kitchen sink drain line ran to the gray tank, along with a furnace duct and water lines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	44789  
Old 01-17-2024, 10:26 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

I had a Keystone 5er for 16 years. Kitchen was in slide. Fridge, sink, etc. Fresh water lines, drain lines, gas lines, electrical wiring. I never ever had a problem. In fact I wish the Keystone plant built motorized vehicles.