Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2023, 07:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #31240
E450 Suspension Changes/Upgrades

Is there any chance you posted about the suspension changes/upgrades you made?

We just purchased a 2019 Thor on the E 450 platform and I'm thinking the ride could be made better with some upgrades as well, mainly shocks, sway bar and tie rod/drag link (assuming it has one or the other or both).

Old 12-31-2023, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Missouri
THOR #30985
We have a '22 Ford E450, purchased in 12/22. First, should have test drive this thing. It drove horribly bad. Felt very unsafe. If dealership was still open the evening we picked up the unit I would have returned it. Got it home and discovered the tires were 20 and 30 lbs. under inflated. Reviewed the walk through video they sent me the next day where it suggest to have the unit aligned. Unit is aligned by Ford before Thor adds the coach and all the additional weight. Ours was way out of alignment. I thought I was buying a rugged E450 like the F450 but that appears NOT to be the case.
Unit has a horribly bad tail wag. Have upgraded the Front and Rear sway bars, front and rear Sumo Springs and steering stabilizer to the Zero Center Point (I think that's what its called). A second alignment with more Caster. Handling much improved but still working on the tail wag. Problem worse when towing a vehicle. Improved shocks next.
Hard to believe spending that amount of money for a Coach that we have to spend thousands more to get the unit to feel save. Will never ride like a sedan but it should feel safe.
I try to inform everyone my frustrations who say they are looking for a camper, but also the joy we have our Coach.
Kind of a challenge for the retired.
Should we discuss the problems with the coach section now?
Manufactures really need to do a better job.
Don't forget to re-aim your headlights.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
we put front and rear sway bars on ours. we were happy before the modification, put them on cuz it seemed like the thing to do seeing all the chat on this forum about it. after the upgrade there is a slight improvement when driving in a cross wind, or turns and such. that will be the last chassis modification for us. we are happy with the drive.
hubby david, lovee julie, pict from Namche Bazaar on our trek up mt Everest base camp, a great adventure. he does the piloting, facilities, and logistics, she does the navigation, food services, and entertainment. we make a great team.
galOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:20 PM   #4

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
I learned to drive in the 60's on $50 cars and trucks with very worn king pins, blown shocks, and sagging springs. Put 85,000 miles on our 28A and have not changed a single suspension component. While it's no sports car, I have found after a few "K" behind the wheel it drives just as fine as a large marshmallow.

Personally, I am glad I did not spend $$ on suspension upgrades, your opinions may be different !
Old 01-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhDis View Post
We have a '22 Ford E450, purchased in 12/22. First, should have test drive this thing. It drove horribly bad. Felt very unsafe. If dealership was still open the evening we picked up the unit I would have returned it. Got it home and discovered the tires were 20 and 30 lbs. under inflated. Reviewed the walk through video they sent me the next day where it suggest to have the unit aligned. Unit is aligned by Ford before Thor adds the coach and all the additional weight. Ours was way out of alignment. I thought I was buying a rugged E450 like the F450 but that appears NOT to be the case.
Unit has a horribly bad tail wag. Have upgraded the Front and Rear sway bars, front and rear Sumo Springs and steering stabilizer to the Zero Center Point (I think that's what its called). A second alignment with more Caster. Handling much improved but still working on the tail wag. Problem worse when towing a vehicle. Improved shocks next.
Hard to believe spending that amount of money for a Coach that we have to spend thousands more to get the unit to feel save. Will never ride like a sedan but it should feel safe.
I try to inform everyone my frustrations who say they are looking for a camper, but also the joy we have our Coach.
Kind of a challenge for the retired.
Should we discuss the problems with the coach section now?
Manufactures really need to do a better job.
Don't forget to re-aim your headlights.
If your coach does not have a rear trackbar adding one will do wonders for the tail wag.

Also consider this, that F-450 will handle differently when fully loaded. Your Class C motorhome is a fully loaded vehicle!

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:10 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.3
State: Alabama
THOR #25790
Yes, I want through the same experience with my 2022 Thor Vegas; which, although Thor calls it a "Class A", the chassis is an E350 /E450, so I feel your pain; before my suspension upgrades, the coach drove and steered almost dangerously. Unfortunately, this is more the norm than the exception,
Old 01-21-2024, 02:17 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
I learned to drive in the 60's on $50 cars and trucks with very worn king pins, blown shocks, and sagging springs. Put 85,000 miles on our 28A and have not changed a single suspension component. While it's no sports car, I have found after a few "K" behind the wheel it drives just as fine as a large marshmallow.

Personally, I am glad I did not spend $$ on suspension upgrades, your opinions may be different !
Same here. I learned to drive in the late 1960s in cars/trucks of that era... the handling was horrible compared to today's cars. Severe body roll and understeer were normal then. So you just learned to deal with it - it was the norm. Now I expect the motorhome to drive and handle like a U-Haul box truck. I anticipate getting blown/sucked sideways by passing semis. I slow WAY down when traversing entrance curbs and making sharp turns. EVERYTHING is a LOT slower in the motorhome.

I found that simply slowing down a little and enjoying the journey makes the drive a lot less stressful. Pushing a commercial truck chassis to it's limits makes for an ugly unenjoyable driving experience.

I always remember bumper stickers on the back of semis that read "Easy does it".
Old 01-23-2024, 01:32 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Almost 2 years now in our E450 rig and the ride is much better than the maiden voyage. The replacement shock absorber on the steering link made a big difference along with adjusting our tire pressure based on actual weight loading. It's a truck after all and will never ride like my Explorer but sure nice to have all the home comforts wherever we take it. I got to experience some good desert winds a few times and a bit different from our old cabover but I learned takin' it easy on the open road and listening to great tunes cures all the worries. What could be better?
Old 03-24-2024, 11:23 PM   #9

Model: Fourwinds 28Z
State: Florida
THOR #30597
Thor 2024 FourWinds 28Z Suspension Mods

Thanks to this forum of experts and advice just completed the listed suspension upgrades below to our 2024 Thor FWs 28Z. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the difference in handling qualities and stability. Definitely stabilizes the rock and roll and reduces driver steering workload. Thanks to all for the threads of wisdom and experience. Glad I did these mods.

Hellwig Rear Anti-sway Bar
Hellwig Front Anti-sway Bar
Roadmaster Exact Center Steeringstabilizer Wbracket-class C
Sumosprings Solo Custom Helper Springs - Front - 500 Lbs
Sumosprings Solo Custom Helper Springs - Rear - 2,800 Lbs:thumb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	45627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpeg