Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
Frameless windows..... yeh or ney?

Hey, what does everyone think about these new frameless windows they are now putting on motorhomes? I thought they looked really nice from the outside but now I'm discovering some negatives. First off they seem to be noisy at freeway speeds. Also when its windy outside while in transit the screens vibrate and add to the noise. And omg the screens are a pita to put back in. You also don't get as much airflow because they only crank out a few inches.

RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I am sure the only reason they are going to them is they figured out how to make them cheaper.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
We like the frameless windows on our Axis. They don't seem to make any noise while going down the road (at least they aren't noisy enough to drown out the engine).
I've taken the screens out once (to clean the windows) and didn't seem to have any issues replacing them.
The only issue I've had was a bit of molding coming off on the passenger front window but I was able to fix that with some double sided tape.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
All in all we're not in love with them. They can be noisy, although we've found if you crank them down a little they tend to quiet down. I wish they opened up more... seems like it's difficuly to get good air flow with them.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Indiana
THOR #1477
We have frameless on our 31L and like them. Agree it'd be nice to open wider, tho.

One question for you all... my rubber seals on the windows all have about a 1" gap in the bottom middle. Why is that? I tend to get wind noise with those gaps and was wondering if I couldn't just fill that gap with a seal....

Does yours have gaps, too?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Spent President's weekend at Borrego Springs, (near Palm Springs in the Anza Desert of Southern California),visiting and sitting in a brand new 2015 Windsport 34J with afternoon temperatures in the 90's. It had double pane frameless windows.

There was NO cross breeze with all of the windows cracked open as far as they can go, (without the Fantastic Fan on), even with a slight wind outside.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
My front windows make a loud whistle starting a 40 mph and gets louder with speed. the 2115 Hurricane is in for warranty service. They taped up the 2 windows and tested it. The problem is with the rubber window seals. They are waiting for parts from Thor and will reinstall the front 2 windows.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
Yes mine have the gaps as well. My largest window over sofa has four gaps. I wonder if they are for condensation to pass through. They seem kinda large mine are 3/4" each
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:51 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Indiana
THOR #1477
Yep..3/4" is about the same as mine....
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Minnesota
THOR #2195
nay on the frameless windows

Driving our Four Winds 31E at 40 to 50 mph in the wind the front windows open 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch as we go down the road. As you can imagine it makes quite a bit of noise. We have it in the shop right now. Has anyone else had problems like this?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #11

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by djharty View Post
.... Has anyone else had problems like this?
Yes, from virtually every brand and model of motorhome that is using the frameless design.

The Marketing Department at every RV manufacturer apparently thought that anything that looks "new" is cool and better. However, with added wind noise when in motion, and virtually no natural cross-breeze when stopped, the Engineering Department, (and the Warranty Department), might have a thing or two to say.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #12

State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Our chateau has these new windows and they are way too noisy on the highway. We found this out on our first long trip. We plan on adding an extra seal. We'll see how it does.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
I'm interested to hear how the new seal goes. Ours are ok if we crank them down, but then all of a sudden one will get noisy. I've thught an extra seal might help.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #14

State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Will post how it goes. Right now our RV is in for warranty work, but I'm hoping to get it back for a trip we plan on taking in a few weeks. I will mention the noise to Thor, but I don't plan on having them fix the windows as I figured it was a "design" flaw...looks great, works....not so. We already altered the door system in our chateau as their idea of "design" and "function" left a lot to be desired. Getting there slowly, still enjoy the RV even with it's quirks.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #15

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
They are nice from the outside but have had issues with 2 windows on my ACE already. Limited airflow, haven't had the noise issue.... yet.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #16

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
They SUCK! No airflow at all! If it is not broken Thor, do NOT fix it. I agree they must be cheaper and easier to install, cause the functionality is definitely not there!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
They SUCK! No airflow at all! If it is not broken Thor, do NOT fix it. I agree they must be cheaper and easier to install, cause the functionality is definitely not there!
I agree the airflow sucks.

If I am not mistaken the windows are actually more expensive than framed windows and are more difficult to install.

The problem is the frameless windows are a new "trend" and trends sell.

I have not had an issue with wind while travelling but I have noticed a small leak, during a heavy rain, coming through my emergency exit window in the bathroom. If I use, what I consider, a little extra force on the closing bar the leak goes away. I believe the issue is the seal on the outside of the window and I need to call Thor to see if they'll send me a new seal.

The major thing I like about the frameless windows is I have not noticed the black streaks on the side of the coach after it rains.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
Thought I would hate the windows on my Vegas-but I only mildly dislike them ...😄😄 ! Have not noticed any noise or vibration issues ( but the Vegas is rather noisy overall ). When used with the vent fan, airflow is adequate in temps where AC is not used. I also wonder about the gap in the seal-I've suspected it is to let any leaked water out ?

One good point is that they are great in the rain - I have never seen rain come in them.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #19

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
......One good point is that they are great in the rain - I have never seen rain come in them.
Hopefully you never will!

Note from Captain Obvious: If you ever do, it's a good indicator that you just might be in an actual Hurricane or Tornado, with the rain blowing UP from the ground! Or,....... someone is washing the motorhome with the windows open!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #20

State: Arizona
THOR #2213
Careful closing the gap in the window seals. The space is to allow water to drain. You don't want to build a dam to hold back any water that might get in. We like our frameless windows and don't notice any noise on our 2015 Miramar. What I don't like is ONLY ONE vent on the roof for sinks, shower & toliet. AND I just discovered our bathroom sink drains into our black tank UGH!!!!