Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Washington
THOR #7369
Electric outlets not working when plugged into house

Hi! We just purchased the 2018 Freedom Elite 30fe from CW. Did our first shakedown ride. Everything was working ok but once we got home, we tried to plug it into the house & found out the electrical outlets won't work. All the rest of the power works just fine plugged into the house except for the outlets. When we were plugged into the campsite everything was fine. We must be missing something stupid. Previous owner of travel trailers but first motor home! Can anyone help?

Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Check GFI reset in bathroom for a start. Are you plugged into a GFI at home, if so, might be another issue
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #3

THOR #7369
Thank you Jegdrum5050! I tried it & the GFI did not reset no click, no green light. At least I know what the problem is to bring it back to CW.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
If you are plugged into a GFI at home, try another outlet. Sometimes GFI and GFI are not compatible, which was the case with my former MH. It kept popping the house GFI, I even replaced it, no luck. Used another outlet Bingo, worked great. Now I have dedicated power to my MH..
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie30FE View Post
Thank you Jegdrum5050! I tried it & the GFI did not reset no click, no green light. At least I know what the problem is to bring it back to CW.
I'm assuming you've checked all the breakers. What happens when you're not plugged in and running the generator ? Will the GFI reset then? if not you may have a bad GFI outlet?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 AM   #6

THOR #7369
TheTraveler- I unplugged as you suggested from the house, (and checked all the breakers & fuses) ran the generator & yes! All electricity was back on. Yay! I wonder if this model RV does not allow for the outlets to work when plugged into a regular house power supply 120/240 volt ac like our travel trailer? Because with the generator, the microwave works as well as the outlets. When we were parked at the RV park, we didn't have a problem.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie30FE View Post
TheTraveler- I unplugged as you suggested from the house, (and checked all the breakers & fuses) ran the generator & yes! All electricity was back on. Yay! I wonder if this model RV does not allow for the outlets to work when plugged into a regular house power supply 120/240 volt ac like our travel trailer? Because with the generator, the microwave works as well as the outlets. When we were parked at the RV park, we didn't have a problem.
Ah, so shore power worked for you at the RV Park but not at home? Was no 110 power working for you at home (TV, Microwave, Fridge(not gas), outlets)? How are you plugging in at home? I assume your RV is 30amp. Did you happen to put a 30amp to 15amp (standard 110 power plug) plug adapter on your power cable to plug into your home? If so, check your breakers in your home. I used to do this too, and you can run limited power to the RV but it will throw the breaker from time to time. Usually, I could run the AC by itself without much problem, but I mainly did it to keep the fridge cold. I understand these kind of adapters have a history of burning out easily though it never happened to me.

I actually had a breaker on the outside of my garage where I was plugging in by the main power connection box that I didn't know about. Anyway, to make a long story short that kept getting thrown so I had a 30amp plug put in just for my RV connection while at home.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

THOR #7369
TheTraveler, yes I am plugged in at home with the correct power converter of 30/15. All breakers were checked & I even tried different outlets around the garage side. We never had problems with our Cruise RV travel trailer so I'm perplexed as why I get enough power to work the slides, lights etc but not the electrical outlets & microwave. I plan to call the guy who did the new RV walk through with me at CW. I'll keep everyone posted on what he says. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The slides use DC motors and lights are 12 VDC. AC powers the A/C, Refrigerator, Hot Water Heater, Microwave, TVs, and all the 115 VAC plugs. So that means that AC power is getting to the converter and being converted to DC power. Sounds like there is a problem on the AC side of your converter. Are you sure there is no AC circuit breaker popped? So nothing AC works when plugged in at home (A/C, Microwave, TVs, Refrig, Hot Water heater, and none of the wall plugs)? Are only the wall plugs affected? Does any AC appliance work? Is the DC stuff working off the house batteries or is it getting DC power from the converter?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #10

THOR #2601
You said in post #3 the GFI was popped and could not be reset. That could be the main problem because the other outlets are tied to the GFI.

Next you said all the AC worked when you ran the Generator. So I assume you were able to reset the GFI when you ran the generator. Once the GFI was reset everything worked -- so sounds like their is nothing wrong with the RV GFI.

So when you plugged back in to the garage it sounds like the GFI in the RV popped again. Like Jegdrum said it is not uncommon for a GFI at home to be incompatible with the GFI in the RV. Are all your garage plugs connected to the garage GFI? Can you find a Non-GFI at home and try plugging in to that?

Also before you plug in at home be sure everything AC in the RV is off (A/C, Water Heater, Refrig, and nothing turned on that is plugged in to any wall outlet). Plug in at home and then try turning on thing plugged in to a wall socket. This precludes any AC power surge at plug-in due to load.
Also, what is the rating of the extension cord you are using in the garage. It should be at least middle weight, or heavy weight preferred.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
The GFI/GFCI in the RV is not going to interrupt ALL AC 110v usage... It will certainly affect the bathroom, kitchen, and exterior outlets - but others including microwave, TV's, bedroom outlets, air conditioning are normally NOT on the GFCI circuit...

Most of our rigs have a SINGLE GFCI outlet in the bathroom - that protects only the outlets ON THAT CIRCUIT that are 'electrically downstream' from the GFCI... Nothing on any other circuit breaker is protected... (Some larger coaches may have more than one - but still a limited number covered...)

Now - a GFCI in the HOUSE that is powering the RV certainly would interrupt all AC 110v usage in the RV...

As Ed suggested - try to plug into another circuit - non GFCI - in the house at least for a test... If that works - I would verify the HOUSE wiring for the GFCI and/or replace the HOUSE GFCI... (or provide a separate non-GFCI outlet for the RV... It doesn't need to be GFCI protected - as it has its own for the necessary (wet location) outlets.)

Had a GFCI in my new home (sticks/bricks) that worked most of the time - but when I plugged in one large (attic style) fan would trip immediately... The fan had no issue in a non-GFCI... Opened up the wiring and found an open ground going to the GFCI - fixed that and all was well with the fan. It isn't just RV's that have their issues...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
One possibility, again related to GFI, on our former DP, it had the norcold refrigerator, If I plugged into shore power in storage, a GFI circuit, when the refrigerator was on AC it would trip the GFI, no ac power in the coach except through the inverter. It was fine plugged in at any campsite we stayed, but consistently tripped the GFI in my storage garage. If I left the refrigerator off, all was well. Fortunately the Gemini refrigerator does not have that problem. I never did solve that issue, but we could never leave the refrigerator on while in storage, and running on propane was not an option, since its stored in a closed garage.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6962
Hey Team,

On the topic of power... I have a Windsport 34J equipped with the Xantrex inverter. When dry camping off the house battery (generator is off) it was explained to me during my orientation from the dealer that when the volts drop it would auto start the generator. We have a small switch next to the inverter that says "gen auto start "On"" that when toggled would start the generator when the volts dropped. (To clarify, this is not the normal generator prime/start switch) However, it hasn't. So I have two questions.

1) Do you know how to set the voltage threshold on the inverter (Xantrex) to fire up the generator once it drops to a particular level and what is the recommended voltage to have it start?
2) Is there another step to get the generator to auto start when the voltage hits a particular level vs simply have the "gen auto start on" switch in the "on" position?

The Thor owners manual was zero help and I have not been able to find instructions online. Would love any insight.

Charlie
Old 05-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
It seems to me that your power cord has a problem. Can you check that you have power at the RV end of the power cord, or someplace near that? Is there a switch you throw to connect the RV to the generator? Maybe there is an automatic switch that is not working???

All the things you listed as coming on are powered by the battery.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:17 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I had the same issue with my Chateau. I suggest purchasing an outlet tester to see if the entire outlet is dead or if the neutral or power is bad. I found I have no neutral. After contacting Thor, they suggested I start testing wire nut couplings from where the power comes into the coach and goes to the outlets. Low and behold I found one wire nut that had a wire that was not in contact with the others. Tightened everything up and no more problem. Good luck
Old 05-10-2017, 01:39 AM   #16

THOR #5821
Glad you were able to find the problem on your Chateau, but I guess I'm a bit troubled that so much of these kind of issues manage to get past QA, such as it exists. On mine, I lost half of the inside lights and a couple of 110 outlets, when pulling in the rear slide. Turned out, some framework under the bedroom floor came loose (again how does this get by QA) and got tangled in some of the wiring as the slide came in. Lots of wiring was torn loose, and had to be rewired. Fortunately we are still under warrantee, so other than inconvenience there was no dollar cost to me.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #17

THOR #7369
I wanted to update & also thank everyone for letting me pick your brain. All this time I had forwarded all your ideas to my husband & he said he checked all the garage fuses & none of the GFI was popped. I even put in an order for an extra heavy duty power extension cord thinking it's our cord. Well as I'm waiting for my new cord to arrive, I decided to manually switch the garage power myself. Low & behold all the power in the RV came on. Everything works!! Moral of story? Double check the work yourself lol. Again, thank you to a wonder RV community!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #18

THOR #2601
Glad you found the problem. In the military we maintainers had an axiom -- trust but verify. Sometimes your own eyeballs are way better than asking if someone else did X, Y, or Z.

And when an aircrew was expeiencing a problem before takeoff and they called for a maintenence assist (REDBALL), the first thing we'd do when we got to the aircraft was to be sure the O-N, O-F-F switch was in the O-N position.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Glad you found the problem.

I guess we all ASSUMED that the garage had power. Shame on us.

It might be a good idea to buy a multimeter and learn how to use it.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #20

THOR #5821
My kind of problem, one that can be fixed. Glad you found it.