Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #15976
Emergency Start Switch Not Working

Hello, I have a 2020 Four Winds 28Z class C with a 2019 Ford E450 Super Duty chassis. My chassis battery died from a suspected "vampire drain" somewhere and I tried to use the emergency start switch which utilizes the house batteries to start the chassis engine when needed. The house batteries (Two 12V deep cycle) were at full charge. Pushed and held the switch and tried to start the engine. No sounds, no engine turns, no clicks, no nothing.

Any idea how I should check to see if the emergency switch system is functioning (as a proper switch) or where the failure of operation was centered? I eventually jumped the chassis battery and got the chassis running. Had the chassis battery tested and it is in good condition. I've also now added a battery disconnect on the neg pole of the chassis battery to avoid the vampire.

Thanks, much!

Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H on the E-450 and there was a relay on the driver side inner fender under the hood that you should hear engage when you press the switch. Mine was not working from the factory. I found an inline fuse under the hood that was part of the switch wiring was bad. Once I replaced the fuse it worked properly.

I would have someone press the switch while you listen for the relay to engage under the hood and / or look for the fuse.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

THOR #15976
Thanks, Judge.

That sounds like a good start. I have a weekend project now. Hopefully a fuse will be all it takes b/c my mechanical skills peeter out pretty quickly.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
First go to the Thor Support page, register and download any relevant electrical diagrams. This will help you narrow down the search. Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #5

THOR #15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
First go to the Thor Support page, register and download any relevant electrical diagrams. This will help you narrow down the search. Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will. Is the Thor Support page link located somewhere on this site or is it a separate location? I couldn't find it.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/
Then "Owners Resource Login"
Old 04-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #7

THOR #15976
Perfect. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #22656
The relay is beneath the engine coolant expansion tank. You can unbolt it (think 10MM socket) to move it out of the way. . If the fuse is good be sure to reseat both fuses and tighten the relay signal wire (smaller wire(s) on the side of the relay. If this still doesn’t work check the switch wires to assure they are plugged it. Suggest tie wrapping the wires so you don’t hit them with your foot while setting the emergency brake

This relay is the same relay that connects your coach alternator/battery to your house batteries. If your house batteries are charging underway (converter not beeping while underway) the relay is working, prolly a control wire issue.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
When you get the coolant tank out of the way, let us know if you have a BIM or a Trombetta. Your 28Z is a class C and may have that instead of a BIM. Thhe A's usually have a BIM.

This is a Trombetta:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...0&d=1606942936
Old 05-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #10

THOR #15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime View Post
The relay is beneath the engine coolant expansion tank. You can unbolt it (think 10MM socket) to move it out of the way. . If the fuse is good be sure to reseat both fuses and tighten the relay signal wire (smaller wire(s) on the side of the relay. If this still doesn’t work check the switch wires to assure they are plugged it. Suggest tie wrapping the wires so you don’t hit them with your foot while setting the emergency brake

This relay is the same relay that connects your coach alternator/battery to your house batteries. If your house batteries are charging underway (converter not beeping while underway) the relay is working, prolly a control wire issue.
Great detailed advice. Very much appreciated. I'll post what I find as well as my relay type. Thanks all!!
Old 05-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #11

THOR #15976
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
When you get the coolant tank out of the way, let us know if you have a BIM or a Trombetta. Your 28Z is a class C and may have that instead of a BIM. Thhe A's usually have a BIM.

This is a Trombetta:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...0&d=1606942936
So, checked everything out this weekend. No loose wires on relay nor back of switch in cockpit. Fuses OK. The relay is a Trombetta. Still no sound from the relay when when the switch is pressed. Disconnected chassis battery to see if switch would connect to house batteries to start the chassis engine. No go. The house batteries do charge when the engine/alternator is running so relay seems to work for that.

Ideas? Maybe bad switch? Is there a way to test that? Thanks, much.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michanmldr View Post
So, checked everything out this weekend. No loose wires on relay nor back of switch in cockpit. Fuses OK. The relay is a Trombetta. Still no sound from the relay when when the switch is pressed. Disconnected chassis battery to see if switch would connect to house batteries to start the chassis engine. No go. The house batteries do charge when the engine/alternator is running so relay seems to work for that.

Ideas? Maybe bad switch? Is there a way to test that? Thanks, much.
Try jumping the switch. If it is bad, that will tell you. If not, there's a delay relay next to the Trombetta - down and to the right - that 'may' be bad. I wouldn't know how to test it without tearing things apart again and digging back into mine. 96* and 50% humidity says 'stay in the A/C today'.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Washington
THOR #17092
Just wanted to mention that every rig I have owned required the switch to be held down before it would engage. My Monaco needed a couple minutes, and the Thor needs about a minute. I couldn't tell from your post how long you waited...
Old 05-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye916 View Post
Just wanted to mention that every rig I have owned required the switch to be held down before it would engage. My Monaco needed a couple minutes, and the Thor needs about a minute. I couldn't tell from your post how long you waited...
Mine clicks the solenoid on as soon as I press the switch.
It’s possible the battery might have been so dead it couldn’t activate the solenoid?