Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
EMS Install

Purchased a Huges Bulldog hardwired EMS and debating if I should install before or after the transfer switch in our 2021 Omni XG32. Is there any real need to protect the coach from the genny? Im assuming the genny would be built with necessary protections but not certain.

Old 09-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Genny usually has its own protections. I put mine just from shore power in case something happens to it, that won’t effect power coming from genny.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Purchased a Huges Bulldog hardwired EMS and debating if I should install before or after the transfer switch in our 2021 Omni XG32. Is there any real need to protect the coach from the genny? Im assuming the genny would be built with necessary protections but not certain.
Do you mean Hughes Power Watchdog Surge Protector? I don't see "Bulldog" or EMS on their website and a surge protector and EMS are not the same thing.

I also don't know of a built-in surge protector on the generator. They do have out of range frequency and voltage shutdowns, and an overcurrent breaker, but not surge protection AFAIK.

Even if they did, there would be no harm and absolute benefit from installing the surge protector between the ATS and the power center. Have you seen a generator with a dirty carb surge in speed as the governor tries to maintain 60 Hz? That can't be good for any AC load.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:44 PM   #4

THOR #24995
You are correct about the name. In fact I really screwed the pouch on this order as I was certain I was ordering a hardwire unit but actually ordered the pedestal
plug in. I think it went south when I saw an option to order a used and save $30.
What I actually received was what appears to be a never used device in a package with very minor external damage.
Anyway it's a higher joule surge suppressor with a sacrificial and replaceable board plus does everything ( from what I can tell) EMS does. I also like that fact that it'll bluetooth information to your phone plus keep a history of disruptions.
https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50/
Old 09-30-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Unfortunately, EMS in the RV world can stand for either:

Electrical Management System - A surge protector that also senses abnormal supply conditions and isolated the RV from the power source.

Energy Management System - An integrated system that detects power in and total load and can "shed" loads as required to prevent overloading the electrical source. It may or may not also have surge protection capabilities.

You have the Electrical Management System in the product you purchased.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:21 PM   #6

THOR #24995
I wrote a long winded response before but for some reason it didn't save.
Anyway I really screwed the pooch and actually ordered the pedestal model vs HW. I also attached a link to the device description which did speak to the EMS functions, but it appears you researched yourself. We decided to keep what I got as it seemed to be a great deal sub $190. We paid more 4 yrs ago for the PD 30A EMS. The status BT to my phone is a great bonus
Old 10-01-2021, 02:10 AM   #7

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
have the same one, pretty happy with it. There's. a metal ring on it so you can bike lock it to the pedestal for some peace of mind. I spoke to them, they're releasing an app update in the next few months that will let you keep a historical record of usage so yo ucan track load over time. Very excited for that.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:21 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I also have one of these. Love it.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
It's not about saving money, it's about having the proper electrical protection. I have the EMS, pedestal mount in this one hardwired in others, rather than a surge protector. In my Raptor TH I hardwired it after the transfer switch because IF the generator were to malfunction, I wanted to protect the electronics in the trailer. For the Omni I got the Progressive Industries EMS pedestal version so in this case the electrical system isn't protected from generator faults. An EMS costs more that a surge protector but does far more. Having to replace the electrical components because the surge protector allowed the fault to fry things will far exceed the price difference between the two. But freedom to choose your level of protection.

The advantage with a pedestal mount is I can plug it into the pedestal and check for faults before going through all the set up just to find a ground fault then having to move. Had that happen with the Raptor built in a couple of times and kind of a PITA to break down and move.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
After reading about and posting links from RV owners who experienced over-voltage surges from Onan Generators (albeit an uncommon occurrence), I chose to mount my Progressive Dynamics hardwired EMS between the Thor ATS and the Converter.

Sure, it takes an extra minute for start-up after plug-in to Shore Power or Genny…
- But now any voltage drop or surge from the pedestal or genny is fully protected

Many are now installing it this same way.

That’s my story & I’m stickin’ to it!
Old 10-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
After reading about and posting links from RV owners who experienced over-voltage surges from Onan Generators (albeit an uncommon occurrence), I chose to mount my Progressive Dynamics hardwired EMS between the Thor ATS and the Converter.

Sure, it takes an extra minute for start-up after plug-in to Shore Power or Genny…
- But now any voltage drop or surge from the pedestal or genny is fully protected

Many are now installing it this same way.

That’s my story & I’m stickin’ to it!
That's the way mine is installed as well. It was actually easier to do it this way as Thor had made the connecting cable between the ATS and the Power Center about twice as long as it needed to be.