Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2021, 11:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Exhaust rubbing on body

The exhaust is rubbing on the heat shield that surrounds the aft right basement compartment. Since the compartments are plastic they at least put a on heat shield but it rubs on the exhaust at it turns to exit to the side. I crawled around under on my creeper but there is no way to adjust the exhaust hangers to get clearance. Ford and Morryde put that exhaust on solid. The heat shield can't be adjusted either. I hadn't yet brought this to Thor CS attention because the answer would be take it to the dealer. I did that today and some head scratching on their part. I found it a few weeks ago and wedged a thin piece of plywood with brackets to dampen the vibrations.

Dealer will contact Thor to see what their recommendations are. My guess an exhaust shop will have to cut the pipe, rotate slightly, and weld back in place, but that's their decision to make.

Has anyone else with a Magnitude or Omni noticed an exhaust buzzing back where the exhaust come out or felt and heard when inside towards the rear? Engine running obviously. If you put your foot on the exhaust pipe and push down a bit and it quietens, yours likely is rubbing also.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:13 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
The exhaust is rubbing on the heat shield that surrounds the aft right basement compartment. Since the compartments are plastic they at least put a on heat shield but it rubs on the exhaust at it turns to exit to the side. I crawled around under on my creeper but there is no way to adjust the exhaust hangers to get clearance. Ford and Morryde put that exhaust on solid. The heat shield can't be adjusted either. I hadn't yet brought this to Thor CS attention because the answer would be take it to the dealer. I did that today and some head scratching on their part. I found it a few weeks ago and wedged a thin piece of plywood with brackets to dampen the vibrations.

Dealer will contact Thor to see what their recommendations are. My guess an exhaust shop will have to cut the pipe, rotate slightly, and weld back in place, but that's their decision to make.

Has anyone else with a Magnitude or Omni noticed an exhaust buzzing back where the exhaust come out or felt and heard when inside towards the rear? Engine running obviously. If you put your foot on the exhaust pipe and push down a bit and it quietens, yours likely is rubbing also.
A muffler shop to will use a "blue" wrench" to adjust the clearance. Takes about three minutes.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
A muffler shop to will use a "blue" wrench" to adjust the clearance. Takes about three minutes.
Sounds like a winner but I'm not familiar with a blue wrench. I'll look it up.

Quick search brought up blue slip joint pliers, Cobalt tools (blue color), blue other tool sets but nothing specific exhaust.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-23-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #24446
My exhaust pipe was doing the same, and making a lot of noise rattling. I took a length of metal strapping and wrapped it around the exhaust pipe up where it was hitting the metal shield (waited till it all cooled off!) and then ran it over to the frame, pulled it tight creating a gap between the exhaust pipe and the shield, and bolted it in place. I thought this would be a temporary fix, but it has worked so well I haven't messed with it since (about 5 months ago). I check it periodically to see if my temporary fix is causing any other rubbing issues, but so far so good.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #24446
Haven't heard the term Blue Wrench in years. I always heard it as an oxy acetylene torch. I have one, but don't think I want go cutting my exhaust system apart just yet (at least until the warranty has expired!)
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #6

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
Haven't heard the term Blue Wrench in years. I always heard it as an oxy acetylene torch. I have one, but don't think I want go cutting my exhaust system apart just yet (at least until the warranty has expired!)
I'm not going to just cut it myself or have it done without approval. At least not yet. I figure thor going to say, "that's a ford issue", course ford will say, "You thor put your body on our exhaust". I'll let them fight it out.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-23-2021, 01:07 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I haven't worked as an auto mechanic since 1979, but I do know that a blue wrench is an Oxy-Acetylene torch and that they don't have to be used to cut metal; they can be used to heat metal to make it easy to bend, like bend the exhaust pipe so it's not interfering with and hitting other things. Cutting and welding the pipe would take a lot longer than 3 minutes and you would need more than the torch.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
SV34, same issue, was driving me crazy as it happened nearly all the time and sounded like a kettle drum being played by someone in the bath. Brought it back 3 times "for adjustments". did not fix a thing. Finally took a crowbar and cranked on it. Moved the heat shield probably 1/2 an inch, hasn't happened since.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:57 AM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
SV34, same issue, was driving me crazy as it happened nearly all the time and sounded like a kettle drum being played by someone in the bath. Brought it back 3 times "for adjustments". did not fix a thing. Finally took a crowbar and cranked on it. Moved the heat shield probably 1/2 and inch, hasn't happened since.
I would guess it's a very common problem because the factory didn't build a proper body jig.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ