Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2023, 09:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
State: Florida
THOR #13813
Extended range fuel tank

Anyone have experience changing to a larger fuel tank. I have a thor Chateau 24mb Sprinter. Has a 27 ga fuel tank . Titan sells a direct replacement 47 ga fuel tank. $1200. Ill weigh the rv I think the weight will be fine.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:16 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A couple guys on the Jayco forum added a version of that tank. I thought about it but my limit is around 200-250 miles per day so extra isn't needed. The weight added is only around another 160 pounds but will nearly double your range. Just curious why you would need it other than not having to stop.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:27 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
In our youth we always had auxiliary tanks if possible.
The long gone Toronado and Camaros always had trunk tanks and my zr2 carries 12 extra gallons today and I built a spot for 52 added gallons into the 24.1 but I'll use it for storage instead.
In this life I can't find a use for more than a 600 mile range and am happy enough at 400.
Last year we did two trips of 900+miles without stopping except for fuel(long day for each, but we're capable. I did one 900 mile day, the spousal unit did the other). The 10 minute fuel stop was not aggravating, so I'll not add the extra tank I'd planned.

Someone asking ME why made me reassess why.
I didn't have a reason why.
(I am easily swayed by logic/alternative)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:24 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn2317 View Post
Anyone have experience changing to a larger fuel tank. I have a thor Chateau 24mb Sprinter. Has a 27 ga fuel tank . Titan sells a direct replacement 47 ga fuel tank. $1200. Ill weigh the rv I think the weight will be fine.

Someone here recently replaced diesel tank with larger, but it wasn’t a Sprinter, so wouldn’t be much direct help. You can do a forum search. If I recall correctly it was a Front Engine Diesel (FRED) with tank behind rear axle.

More is always good, but agree with others that beyond 400~450 miles, extra range has diminishing advantages. I expect in your case you may have to stop every 300 miles or so, therefore not quite as much range as many motorhomes. The only real reason I would want more is so I could drive through states with high fuel costs, and that would be based on principle, not for savings. It would take a lot of fuel savings to pay for a $1,200 fuel tank.

It’s good for our health to get up and move around once in a while anyway. My fuel tank already lasts 6~7 hours of Interstate driving, and even longer on scenic routes, so I will be stopping anyway.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:30 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
When I had a pickup, 3500 dually towing a 5th wheel toy hauler, I added a tool box and aux tank combo to the truck giving an effective towing range of 900 miles. Did I drive or attempt that, no. I also used the volume to plan fuel savings and where I wanted to stop, not the vehicle manufacturers limited tank size dictating.

When fueling a large vehicle especially and utilizing truck stops, fueling averages 30 minutes when factoring in getting off the highway and all things involved in the stop. I make frequent stops at rest areas etc. for nature and stretching breaks usually in the 5-10 minute range. I'd rather stop there than fuel stations for those breaks.

Current RV has 100g tank and I fuel in the 6-700 mile range again when I want to stop. The problem with many C motorhomes is the lack of OCCC and adding an additional 3-400# fuel subtracts from that low figure but that's the compromise that may have to be made.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:23 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Someone asking ME why made me reassess why.
I didn't have a reason why.
(I am easily swayed by logic/alternative)
Why add increased fuel capacity? Simple, having a larger tank allows you to be selective about where you refuel. The extra capacity could be the difference between being forced to fuel up at a $4.00/gallon station or being able to wait and fuel up at a $3.00/gallon station 1 or 2 hundred miles down the road. I think everyone should have the Gas Buddy or some similar app installed to scout out the best prices for fuel.

My Tank is 80 Gallons which translates to somewhere between 4 and 5 hundred miles between fill-ups with a reasonable safety factor against running out. In any case you should be looking for fuel once you hit 1/2 tank.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:00 PM   #7

THOR #2121
I rarely fill up at 1/2 tank unless I’m about to cross into a state where I’m certain gas will be at least $0.25 a gallon more expensive, and even then only if I want a break and take it early. Going into Florida, as an example, I prefer a full tank, and California for certain.

My son’s MH built on E-450 with 55 Gallon tank is close to ideal for me as far as range is concerned. Without toad he gets 11 MPG on average so about 600 miles to empty. With 100 miles of reserve, he can drive 500 miles between fuel stops.

The E-Series 55-gallon fuel capacity is very good in my opinion, especially if MH could do 12 MPG or better. Unfortunately not many RV choices in that range yet.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:10 AM   #8

THOR #13932
I'm not so attentive to fuel prices so as to add a $1,200 fuel tank allowing me to potentially, maybe, possibly, 100 miles away, 'save' money.

Feel
felt
found

I know how you FEEL, I FELT the same way, then I FOUND out.

(actually mine had to do with lack of urban diesel for some of the cars and 93 octane 6mpg high hp cars and 6mpg off road crawlers. The reasons/habit did not translate well to my 500+ mile axis tank)

Old 03-13-2023, 01:20 AM   #9

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'm not so attentive to fuel prices so as to add a $1,200 fuel tank allowing me to potentially, maybe, possibly, 100 miles away, 'save' money.

Feel
felt
found

I know how you FEEL, I FELT the same way, then I FOUND out.
Agree...not for me...that $1,200 @ $4.29/gallon will take me well over 4,000 miles. A couple 5 gallon jugs on the rear carrier will work just fine instead.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:50 PM   #10

THOR #13813
Probably going wait.

I've always felt with the Sprinter, "If i had 10 more gallons". I currently go 300 miles till the low gas light comes on. Then I still have 6 gallons left. Were heading West mid April. See how far we get with no reservations. We want to try bonedocking and harvest host. My covid project was to change to 200amp lithium batteries. 200 amp inverter. 200 watt solar.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:12 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
I've always felt with the Sprinter, "If i had 10 more gallons". I currently go 300 miles till the low gas light comes on. Then I still have 6 gallons left. Were heading West mid April. See how far we get with no reservations. We want to try bonedocking and harvest host. My covid project was to change to 200amp lithium batteries. 200 amp inverter. 200 watt solar.
An another thought on it, generator use. Since most motorhomes can only use the top 3/4 of a tank, trying to do a boon docking stop for a night or 2 with under 1/2 tank could be disastrous. Thursday I'm leaving Tucson heading to central TX with a couple nights wallydocking an/or rest areas. It's going to have cold nights so I'll be running the generator after stopping and I need to make sure I can get through the night and to suitable fuel stops the next day.

I plan my travel days, don't just wander aimlessly wondering what's next.

In aviation 2 useless things, runway behind you and fuel on the ramp.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Quote:
We won't be too far behind you in our Sprinter as we "wonder aimlessly" along. I'll carry a rear rack with a few big items that don't fit in bays...along with two 5 gallon jugs of diesel. Them thar hills will eat a lot of fuel and you'll have a backup if needed. There's your 10 more gallons and it's a cheap option.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
We won't be too far behind you in our Sprinter as we "wonder aimlessly" along. I'll carry a rear rack with a few big items that don't fit in bays...along with two 5 gallon jugs of diesel. Them thar hills will eat a lot of fuel and you'll have a backup if needed. There's your 10 more gallons and it's a cheap option.
That is a viable and much cheaper option to the expanded main tank idea. I've done the same when I limited onboard fuel.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-14-2023, 05:54 PM   #14

THOR #11130
I even carried extra with the Super C on some trips...and it held nearly 80 gallons...but the generator ran off the rear 40 gallon tank so I only had a real usage of 32 gallons before it cut generator out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:31 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Does Titan make larger fuel tanks for newer Sprinter? There seem to be many for 2007 through 2018 but I don’t see any listed for current Sprinter chassis.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:42 AM   #16

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I even carried extra with the Super C on some trips...and it held nearly 80 gallons...but the generator ran off the rear 40 gallon tank so I only had a real usage of 32 gallons before it cut generator out.
That is an interesting idea. We almost always have the generator running while driving. I am going to poke around to see where a 20ish gallon tank can be added to run the generator off of. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2023, 04:31 PM   #17

THOR #13932
Not exactly related:
Ths 52 gallon size storage addition on my 24.1 sits between the frame rails where a spare usually goes on a truck.
I access it through a hole cut in the rear bins floor.

Easy, fully welded.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:49 PM   #18

THOR #13813
Plan on wondering aimlessly west mid April. I have 200ah lithiun,200 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter. plus the diesel gen. I think I"ll wait on the larger fuel tank. My range now is 300 mile till the fuel light comes on.
I'm fortunate that even in Fla I don't need to run my A/C and generator while driving The dash A/C is plenty only being 24 ft long.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:28 PM   #19

THOR #13813
Our aimless Wonder to the West Coast is done traveled 7,600 mi round trip in 33 days. Stopped at 12 national parks and monuments. Due to the flooding several national parks and monuments are closed which is why we actually came home earlier than we expected. My Thor sprinter chateau 24 worked flawlessly. What a fantastic way to travel. We averaged about 15 and a half miles per gallon no matter if we're going uphill downhill 9,000 ft or sea level. Very impressed with the uphill torque. My 200 amp hour lithium batteries 2001 inverter 200 W solar panels where all we needed never once needed the generator. My only flaw was that I kept forgetting to turn off the inverter and then the refrigerator switch to 120 and that ran my batteries down one night. But they were sufficiently recharged during a 300 mile drive.
We stayed at harvest hosts, couple of koas ,private campgrounds, cracker barrels and a new favorite is Love's truck stops.
Upgrades I plan on beefier sway bar and replace my shocks. We hit some very high winds. Once we got hit with a blast of wind that actually set off the anti-sway light on the dashboard. I'm also going to investigate 12 volt dometic fridge.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:30 PM   #20

THOR #13813
Upgrading to a larger fuel tank the would have been nice but not necessary we generally would go 300 miles and then fill up. That left 6 gallons of diesel in the tank till empty. Diesel prices ranged in a low $3.99 highest was $6 a gallon which is in the middle of a Navajo Indian reservation. I can't imagine what it cost to have diesel delivered to that gas station.