Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Judge,
And here I was: secure in my belief that you were happily "modificating" your 29-H to make it perfect...

Happy Shopping!

LOL...... Just when we get the Outlaw right where we want her....... LOL

We are actually pretty pleased with here now that we have all the upgrades and "modificating" done. The original plan was to retire in 4 years and then look for a new coach better suited to 3 - 4 months on the road continuously.

After both us have decided we are getting tired of the rat race and running through the maze to find the cheese, we can financially move up retirement ~2 years.

That's why we think we will move to a Super C in about 12 - 18 months now instead of ~36 months.....

More ot come

Old 09-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #22

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliver22 View Post
We have th Magnitude BH35 and it is my favorite out of the four MHs we have owned. I second all Gritz said about the F550: all the power you need. Went up and down the Rockies with no downshifting and steady 65 mph, that was a joy.

The Thor coach had its issues, particularly since it was apparently an early production model and bugs were present. I think my experiences furnished Thor the impetus to make some needed changes, at least that is what my dealer old me.

The one saving grace is that my dealer took care of all the problems I found, more than 70 (yikes! But it was an early model) and not in months but weeks, so I never lost real "road time". The dealer specializes in Super C's and really focuses on his customers. Whatever you get, really make, sure of your dealer and their service results. You ARE going to be using service, particularly in the first year.

Good luck and choose carefully.
Thank you for your experience and opinion! Very much appreciated!!!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #23

THOR #12751
So we made the 90 minute drive over to Canton, OH to take a look at the 2020 Magnitude SV34 4x4 that General RV had in stock.

I have never been to a General RV dealership before, I was surprised to learn they have 13 locations across the country. While it was not as impressive as North Trail RV (we visited that dealer in Ft Myers, FL), I was very impressed with their service operation and their service commitment to customers who buy from them.

They have a "Keep You Camping" promise, which is impressive. If you have any of 8 critical issues with the coach, you can stop at any General RV dealer without an appointment and receive an inspection and repair plan while you wait. If they have the parts or the issue can be repaired, they will fix it the same day.

They have a team of service tech's that are dedicated to performing same day service for customers experiencing the critical issues and don't have an appointment.

If you have minor issues, they were upfront saying that like any other dealer you may have a few weeks to a couple month wait to get in with an appointment depending on the time of year.

I have attached the document they gave me in case you have not seen or heard about this service.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf General RV_Service.pdf (1.46 MB, 60 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
LOL...... Just when we get the Outlaw right where we want her....... LOL
We are actually pretty pleased with here now that we have all the upgrades and "modificating" done. The original plan was to retire in 4 years and then look for a new coach better suited to 3 - 4 months on the road continuously.
After both us have decided we are getting tired of the rat race and running through the maze to find the cheese, we can financially move up retirement ~2 years.
That's why we think we will move to a Super C in about 12 - 18 months now instead of ~36 months.....
More to come

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1569498717
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awesome.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	20485  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #25

THOR #12751
So now onto my review of the 2020 Magnitude SV34 4x4 that we walked through yesterday.

Overall we were impressed with the coach given it is in the lower end of the price range for the Super C's. It certainly is appears to be a step up in quality and fit & finish over the regular Thor Class C's.

Things we liked.....

1) Floor Plan - For the two of us and the dog, the SV34 is really an ideal floor plan for us. Our goal is to fid a coach where we could spend 3 - 4 months continuous in it and we think this floor plan would work.

2) Bathroom - The shower floor was solid and shower large enough to take a shower without banging into the walls and door constantly. The throne was also solid with plenty of room around it. My wife wqs thrilled the bathroom sink was not under a cabinet where she would hit her head like our current coach. Liked the sliding door.

3) Bedroom - We like the Tilt-a-View King Bed. The size was good for us and it is great if you want to read or watch TV in bed. It is nice to have a nightstand on each side with outlets and storage. There appears to be plenty of drawer and closet space and room to move around. Liked the sliding door as well.

4) Kitchen - There was a wide variety of storage. The microwave / convection oven was larger than our current coach and I liked the combo of gas burners and an induction cook top. The solid countertop was very nice and there was plenty of prep room; especially with the cover over the dual bowl sink. The Whirpool residential fridge was huge, even the freezer having an ice maker in it.

5) Living Space - While I know a few of you are a big fan of the two slides opposite of each other, we felt the single slide offered enough room for two people. If you routinely have more than two people in the coach, I can see where two slides opposite each other would be a must. This unit did not have the theater seating but we thought the love seat was surprising comfortable. The dinette was comfortable enough for having an indoor meal. The overhead bunk area was huge and much easier to access than our Outlaw. It is also rated for 500lbs and appeared very sturdy.

6) Cab - The F-550 cab is a huge upgrade over the E-450! Good use of space and technology. I liked the rear view mirror was actually a display for the rear and side view cameras. It also had a standard Ford radio w/ Sync, CarPlay, etc. The diesel engine was surprising more quiet than I had expected and very smooth at idle. It didn't seem too difficult to get in and out of the cab from the coach area with the middle part of the overhead bunk removed.

7) Odds and Ends - I liked the Touchscreen control panel and the associated controls around the coach. The genny was quiet and smooth and provided plenty of power to run both A/C's and other accessories. My wife was thrilled the coach has an outdoor kitchen.... it is very basic with a small sink, small fridge and some storage... but it is the only Super C we have found with an outdoor kitchen of any sort. The there is plenty of outdoor storage and the doors all seem to open and close smoothly. The padded ceiling was a nice touch inside the coach and the general quality was not high end but pretty good. It was a nice bonus that the solar prep includes the controller and it is already wired to the house batteries. Thor also used two 6V batteries and there is room in the battery compartment to add two more. I really like the full paint job too versus the use of decals that will fade and peel over time.

Things we didn't like....

1) Bedroom - The closet doors were a bit wobbly when opening and closing. I think their construction is too light for their size and also having the weight of mirrors mounted to them. My wife also didn't like that the bed could no lie flat with the slide closed.

2) Kitchen - The storage for forks, knives and utensils was practically useless given how small the drawers were (much like our current coach and others we have seen). My wife would have preferred a third gas burner instead of an induction cooktop (I actually like it).

3) Dinette - There is a drawer under each dinette seat but they are relatively small and felt flimsy when opening and closing them.

4) Living area storage - While there is a decent amount of storage in the living area and the cabinets are decent, some of the cabinets are a bit small and not the best layout.

5) Cab - Didn't like the drink holders on the floor between the captains seats. Our dog is usually lays between our seats when we are driving.

6) Fit & Finish - I think the Fit & Finish is generally a step up over our Thor Class C but they still use the same crappy wall paper and plastic corner trim on the walls.

I think that's the main observations. I will add more if I missed anything major.

Of course we told them we are a year out from buying but they are trying to work up a deal we can't refuse to buy it now. I gave them all of my current coach info so they can work up the numbers with a trade.... so we'll see. I can say their published sale prices are generally the same or on the lower end of other dealers with the same coach.

Our original plan was to hopefully find a left-over 2020 this time next year but since it is the end of the season in the north, maybe they will surprise us.... and we will be accelerating our timeline once again!!!!

Regardless of what happens, I will say that General RV now has my attention with their Same Day Service policy for critical coach issues..... especially since they have several locations.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Regardless of what happens, I will say that General RV now has my attention with their Same Day Service policy for critical coach issues..... especially since they have several locations.
General RV is who we are going through to purchase the Accolade. So far they have been great folks to deal with. We'll see how their prep and PDI go on Saturday as well as the installation of Mobile eye, Winegard Connect 2, Solar Panels, and awning wind sensor. They didn't bat an eye when I told them I wanted the coach aligned and wheels balanced after the test drive and both of those were accomplished while they awaited the parts for the other items.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Hi Dave,
We can't wait to hear about bow your Saturday goes...
The best of luck!
Old 09-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #28

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
General RV is who we are going through to purchase the Accolade. So far they have been great folks to deal with. We'll see how their prep and PDI go on Saturday as well as the installation of Mobile eye, Winegard Connect 2, Solar Panels, and awning wind sensor. They didn't bat an eye when I told them I wanted the coach aligned and wheels balanced after the test drive and both of those were accomplished while they awaited the parts for the other items.

I asked if they had any Accolade's in stock and they said no.... but as we were leaving we saw a shiny new one sitting over by the Service Center so I am guessing it might have been getting ready for a new owner.

The Canton location doesn't keep many Super C's on hand. Sales guy said it is a smaller market but they can easily get them from their other locations if they find one.

Good luck picking yours up Saturday!

I do like the Accolade now that you have told me more about them. I also learned from the sales rep that the Accolade has a fiberglass crowned roof. I really like the idea of the roof not being flat so water runs off and not lays on the roof.

The Accolade is still on my radar. It is about $20K more than the Magnitude but still within our budget I think.

Still weighing the Pro's & Con's of the Accolade / Seneca vs. the Magnitude. The Accolade / Senecas is bigger and heavier and doesn't offer 4x4 but it does have the air suspension, air brakes and appears to be of a little higher quality so well worth the extra $20K.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Hi Dave,
We can't wait to hear about bow your Saturday goes...
The best of luck!
Over the past few days we have been unloading the Challenger. I now believe there is such a thing as "too much" storage on a motorhome. I am finding stuff that causes me to sit back and ask "why in the hell did I put this in here 5 years ago?" I told the DW last night that my utility trailer is coming back into the driveway and as we are loading the new coach there are 2 options. The options are either a dedicated storage location in the new coach or on the trailer for a trip to the dump. Unloading the kitchen I asked DW why we have a place setting for 8 and silverware for 12 in the coach. Her answer was there was no room in the house for the dishes so she took them out to the coach. Solution - Goodwill or Salvation Army.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it was there for five years: you'll never need it.
Put it back, and let the next owner try to figure out why it's there!
(He'll probably come in here, and ask about it! )
Old 09-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I asked if they had any Accolade's in stock and they said no.... but as we were leaving we saw a shiny new one sitting over by the Service Center so I am guessing it might have been getting ready for a new owner.

The Canton location doesn't keep many Super C's on hand. Sales guy said it is a smaller market but they can easily get them from their other locations if they find one.

Good luck picking yours up Saturday!

I do like the Accolade now that you have told me more about them. I also learned from the sales rep that the Accolade has a fiberglass crowned roof. I really like the idea of the roof not being flat so water runs off and not lays on the roof.

The Accolade is still on my radar. It is about $20K more than the Magnitude but still within our budget I think.

Still weighing the Pro's & Con's of the Accolade / Seneca vs. the Magnitude. The Accolade / Senecas is bigger and heavier and doesn't offer 4x4 but it does have the air suspension, air brakes and appears to be of a little higher quality so well worth the extra $20K.
If you like the layout of the SV34 then you should like the layout of the 37TS. Pretty much the same except the 37TS has the kitchen on the passenger side and mine has 3 seating areas rather than 2. We are getting the booth dinette, the coach by the door and the theater seating/recliners across from the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
If it was there for five years: you'll never need it.
Put it back, and let the next owner try to figure out why it's there!
(He'll probably come in here, and ask about it! )
Sick but not bad. The trade-in instructions say the holding tanks must be empty. They don't say anything about the cabinets or storage compartments.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I smell an opportunity...
Drain the tanks... and then drain the closets in the house, and put those storage spaces in the RV to good use!
Old 09-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #1469
Just talked to the dealer and the Carefree awning add-on wind sensor module is not compatible with the Firefly Vega Touch command center. They would have to add a separate control system for the awning and take it out of the firefly system. Carefree says they are working on a wind sensor upgrade that will be compatible with Firefly and it should be ready in about 6 months.

No problem. I also remembered during the discussion that I want Maxx Air vent covers installed so they are now doing that since they have the covers in stock.

PDI time is 1:00 PM Saturday. I had to change because the grandson has a soccer game in the morning.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
We are very happy with our 2018 Thor SD35. The F550 has performed very well we’ve been to California and back a couple of times and to South Texas a few times. We did have to fix about 30 defects. In Oklahoma we have towed our boat with us many times back and forth to the lakes.

Don’t think they make this option anymore as we have a very large TV along with storage in the over cab compartment.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #36

THOR #12751
So after the walkthrough last night the DW starts negotiating.... even though we said we wouldn't buying at this time.

So stupid me..... I let the DW start negotiating..... she is brutal.... I know I'm in sales myself.

They closed at 6:00 last night and it was 5:45 and the DW was hungry so we said to give us a call in the morning with a price.

DW told them she wanted $85K for our coach (we paid $81K out the door August 2018) and she told the guy we saw the same Magnitude in Texas for $161K (even though it didn't have the 4x4 option).

General RV was asking $166K for their SV34 w/ 4x4. It didn't have the theater seating so she said she wanted that added too.

They called this morning and said $70K for our Outlaw 29H without seeing it and $161K for the Magnitude..... plus $1500 for the Theater seats.

That made it 91K out of pocket. DW said "no way" and she only wanted to take a loan for $80K... and she wasn't paying $1500 to have the Theater Seats added.

Next thing I know.... I get off a call for work and the dealer calls and says "you better sit down" manager called corporate and they agreed to her terms if wec could take delivery by the end of the month.

I was hardly involved because I thought there was no way we were buying one now..... but the same thing happened with the last one!

So looks we are buying a Magnitude SV34 4X4....... before the end of the month!!!! So much for 12 to 18 months.... I forgot it is not only the end of the month but the end of the quarter.... and that is why they were willing to give in to her all of her requests.

They are selling it to us for $154,000 and they are giving us $75K for our Outlaw 29H so the loan would be for $80K.

Now she is letting the sales guy have it because they are tacking on $3K in fees for Dealer Prep, Destination Charge, etc. and we didn't pay any fees with our last dealer.

I think the shock of it is finally starting to wear off......

Old 09-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #37

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Good call!! Your earlier write up is very accurate. We don't (and will not) pack a lot of stuff inside so storage is more than adequate. You can tell when you step inside a Super C, it's build quality is above average. Congratulations on your "not ready yet" purchase. As long as you have the DW onboard...Life is Good!! Happy Wife...Happy Life!! Send pictures!! Just wait till you hit the road and the hills...the power is awesome and the quietness underway is unbelievable! Unless someone had driven the new Super C...they'll never understand the difference.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #38

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Good call!! Your earlier write up is very accurate. We don't (and will not) pack a lot of stuff inside so storage is more than adequate. You can tell when you step inside a Super C, it's build quality is above average. Congratulations on your "not ready yet" purchase. As long as you have the DW onboard...Life is Good!! Happy Wife...Happy Life!! Send pictures!! Just wait till you hit the road and the hills...the power is awesome and the quietness underway is unbelievable! Unless someone had driven the new Super C...they'll never understand the difference.
Thanks Gritz!

Your feedback was very relevant as well as some of the other F-550 and Thor Super C feedback from other members and it made me feel comfortable enough to stick with Thor.

I really liked the Accolade / Seneca and Dynamax... but for another $20 - $25K in cost and being they were larger and heavier coaches, it was hard to pass up the Magnitude.

Looks like Saturday is the day...... I'm first doing a test drive (unlike my first MH purchase) for peace of mind and then a very extensive PDI. We'll need to take it back to have the Theater Seats installed. Hopefully by then we have a "small" issues list that can be addressed as well.

General TV's Emergency Service Policy was also very important besides getting a good price. Being able to take it in for major failures with no appointment is huge in my mind.

I really didn't think we would do anything for another 12 - 18 months but our coach will only be getting older and it's value down.... and the new ones will only be getting more expensive. I couldn't have found another new Super C in this price range. The quality appears to be good for the value and we get a 12 - 18 months to get it all settled in.

I took a couple quick pics last night.... never thinking we would be buying it!

I'll post more this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4185 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	20486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	20487  

Name:	IMG_4183 2.jpg
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	20488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4180 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	20489  

Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #39

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
That is really nice!! You lucky dog
Old 09-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #40

THOR #12751
Taking a break from unloading the old coach and getting her ready for trade-in. Pulled some pics from the dealer website for you guys to see.

I still can't believe we just did this all in 24 hours.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outside Coach_1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	20491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Coach_2.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	20492  

Name:	Living Area_1.jpg