Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2023, 08:52 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
Posts: 3
THOR #28982
Angry Fail: De-Winterizing, Slide, and Levellers

Hey Fellow Thor Owners,

My wife and I bought a 2023 Quantum WS31 last January and are now eager to take it out for its maiden voyage. However, when I went to de-winterize it, I filled the freshwater reservoir per instructions, turned on the pump, and nothing came out of the faucets. Realizing there's probably a cutover valve I need to reset, I went to the Thor "Owner's Manual" to see where it's located.

Unfortunately, it seems the "Owner's Manual" is actually nothing more than a dictionary; i.e., it tells you what everything is and what it's supposed to do, but not where to find it on your rig. Judging by the photos in the "manual," it looks like it was written back in the '70s as a generic way to define all the RV technology but never reveal how to locate any of it on a specific rig. Even the emergency exit handles on ours don't match what's in the "manual" (seems like it could be an important detail).

This ensures the "manual" never needs to be updated with pesky details like updated photos that show where everything is actually located on future models. As a professional technical writer, I find this to be criminal in nature.

However, I'm now stuck holding this rig and must figure out how to deal with it. So, my two questions are:
  1. Where is the cutover valve that lets the water pump resume sending fresh water through the plumbing?
  2. Where is the fuse panel for the coach? Our slide and levelers are dead, so I want to check the fuses before requesting warranty service. (And yes, all batteries are fully charged.)

Thanks for any help/advice.

Best Regards,
Dave

__________________
dsimerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 14,290
THOR #7035
"Cutover valve"? Probably no such thing on your Class C MH; BUT there are isolation and drain valves that need to be in the correct positions.

Fresh Water tank isolation valve - open
Water pump inlet valve - open
Water pump discharge valve - open
Low point drain Valves - shut
Antifreeze inlet valve - shut

Not all RVs have all those valves and some valves may perform more than one function.

In addition - when de-winterizing, the following valves may also have to be repositioned:

Water Heater Bypass valve - shut
Water Heater Isolation valves - open

The water heater valves are generally to the inside side of the water heater.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 249
THOR #24216
OP note the engine must be running and the parking brake set to engage the jacks/slides.
__________________
TheGoodLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 4,172
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimerly View Post
Hey Fellow Thor Owners,

My wife and I bought a 2023 Quantum WS31 last January and are now eager to take it out for its maiden voyage. However, when I went to de-winterize it, I filled the freshwater reservoir per instructions, turned on the pump, and nothing came out of the faucets. Realizing there's probably a cutover valve I need to reset, I went to the Thor "Owner's Manual" to see where it's located.

Unfortunately, it seems the "Owner's Manual" is actually nothing more than a dictionary; i.e., it tells you what everything is and what it's supposed to do, but not where to find it on your rig. Judging by the photos in the "manual," it looks like it was written back in the '70s as a generic way to define all the RV technology but never reveal how to locate any of it on a specific rig. Even the emergency exit handles on ours don't match what's in the "manual" (seems like it could be an important detail).

This ensures the "manual" never needs to be updated with pesky details like updated photos that show where everything is actually located on future models. As a professional technical writer, I find this to be criminal in nature.

However, I'm now stuck holding this rig and must figure out how to deal with it. So, my two questions are:
  1. Where is the cutover valve that lets the water pump resume sending fresh water through the plumbing?
  2. Where is the fuse panel for the coach? Our slide and levelers are dead, so I want to check the fuses before requesting warranty service. (And yes, all batteries are fully charged.)

Thanks for any help/advice.

Best Regards,
Dave
You should have recorded the pre delivery inspect and the delivery tech and salesman should have covered every item you mentioned. Take your coach back to the selling dealer and demand they show you what you need to know. There are many delivery checklist on the Internet and the sever on this site in the list's history. Thor MC CS can answer most questions on currently built floor plans.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 249
THOR #24216
Also the Thor Owners Resource at thor.mizecx.com will have detailed information for your coach that is/will be very useful.
__________________
TheGoodLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:00 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: WS31
State: Wisconsin
Posts: 12
THOR #25771
Your fuse panel should be in the bedroom on a corner of the bed, very visible on our 2022 WS31. Yes your engine needs to be on and parking brake set to level and open the slide. Do you have your switch for the battery on as well ?
Do you have the switch for the pump turned on? it should be on the panel by the door along with all the other switches.
Do you have an instant hot water heater?
__________________
petedoll50@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,138
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
OP note the engine must be running and the parking brake set to engage the jacks/slides.
Not necessarily on all class C coaches. My hydraulic jacks are wired directly to the batteries with no "safety"... but does have a jacks down alarm. The slide will also extend/retract without running the engine... and no emergency brake set. Not sure if there's a "safety"... I've never started the engine with the slide out.

I will add for the O.P. that what's probably causing the "no water flow" is the main tank shut-off valve, which is located between the tank and water pump.
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
Posts: 3
THOR #28982
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice and wisdom (even the "you shouldas", which we did, but they didn't help). I just want to follow up in case this info helps anyone else. It turns out that there is indeed a cutover valve, but it's not shown on Thor's schematics for our model.

On the 2023 Quantum WS31, the freshwater holding tank and pump are under the bed, as shown in Thor's schematic:



The problem is just past the antifreeze port. There's a valve there that's not called out in the schematic:



I hope this post will help anyone else who bought the same year/model with their first de-winterization.
__________________
dsimerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Geterdun's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
Posts: 215
THOR #27719
That looks like the FW tank isolation valve. Needs to be shut when checking the suctions strainer or replacing the pump.
__________________
Geterdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 249
THOR #24216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Not necessarily on all class C coaches. My hydraulic jacks are wired directly to the batteries with no "safety"... but does have a jacks down alarm. The slide will also extend/retract without running the engine... and no emergency brake set. Not sure if there's a "safety"... I've never started the engine with the slide out.

I will add for the O.P. that what's probably causing the "no water flow" is the main tank shut-off valve, which is located between the tank and water pump.
True, I was referring only to recent Quantum models in my reply
__________________
TheGoodLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,850
THOR #11130
My 35SF was plumbed the same way. Close it when sucking antifreeze through the coach and keep it closed when flushing it out with city water connection. Only open it when you're ready for fresh water from the tank.
__________________
Now an SOB
Traded Thor for Melbourne Prestige 24NP
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2023, de-winterize, fresh water valves, leveler issues, quantum ws31

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2