Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
First outing

At long last the DW our kitty and I took our first trip. We planned it out pretty well so as not to be overwhelming and for the most part that was the result. Of course the trip of 1500 plus miles was not without it's moments. Our voyage took us from Grass Valley Ca to Bullhead City Az via highway 99 south then 58 east to highway 40 into Az. Highway 99 has been under constructiion as long as we've lived here about 25 years. It shook the bejeebies out of all of us most of the way south. Our rig rides like a Radio Flyer wagon as I remember them. Felt like a washboard most of the way south. So a rough ride might be an understatement. Stayed the night at a Loves Travel center in Tahachapi and I was most impressed with them. Clean restrooms plenty of parking and very polite and friendly employees.
Misshap 1
Make absolutely sure refrigerator is completely closed and secure. First turn emptied the contents onto the kitchen floor. DW was a bit annoyed
Stayed at Davis Camp in Bullhead City on the river. Nice campground resonably priced. Each night there we were treated to wind gusts in the 40-50 mph area. Some severe rocking to be sure.
Misshap 2
DW was unaware of blind spot directly behind rig while I backed in and sheared off the fresh water drain valve and sidelight on a steel pole. Drained the fresh water tank promptly.
Managed to get lost beyond civilization in the Fallbrook hills attempting to locate my son's winery in the dark. He had to find us and escourt the last leg. GPS failed me that night.
Misshap 3
Shower door came loose from all the rough rides and almost came completely off. Then again the rough ride dislodged the bunk ladder and fell on none other than the DW's head. Ouch!
Overall managed 12.4 mpg in the old gal with plenty of power over hills. Then two days before the trek home we both tested positive for covid 19. Made the drive home a long one for sure. So overall a great experience but still learning. Now both recovering.

Everything inthe rig worked as designed and Verizon internet was on non stop the whole trip. A really nifty device to be sure and most areas around 30-50 Mbps.
Gas in Az around $3.50/gal then Ca $6. 00 along I5 . Can't wait to move. Made an offer on a place in Bullhead so might happend soon. Now comes cleanup and storage for awhile.

The end

Old 12-05-2022, 12:39 AM   #2

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
nice story. What is the moral of story? Yes the refrig opening is a bummer. My duties are to walk the outside and make sure everything is locked and latched. the Mrs. is to make sure interior is secure, table down, refrig locked. And finally that the bathroom vent window is down and locked.

Then its time to setout on the road....we always think.. if i had to stop fast, everything is a potential projectile.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
We have a short, cute little song we sing just as we start off every day..."check the fridge" is in the first verse.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
At long last the DW our kitty and I took our first trip. We planned it out pretty well so as not to be overwhelming and for the most part that was the result. Of course the trip of 1500 plus miles was not without it's moments. Our voyage took us from Grass Valley Ca to Bullhead City Az via highway 99 south then 58 east to highway 40 into Az. Highway 99 has been under constructiion as long as we've lived here about 25 years. It shook the bejeebies out of all of us most of the way south. Our rig rides like a Radio Flyer wagon as I remember them. Felt like a washboard most of the way south. So a rough ride might be an understatement. Stayed the night at a Loves Travel center in Tahachapi and I was most impressed with them. Clean restrooms plenty of parking and very polite and friendly employees.
Misshap 1
Make absolutely sure refrigerator is completely closed and secure. First turn emptied the contents onto the kitchen floor. DW was a bit annoyed
Stayed at Davis Camp in Bullhead City on the river. Nice campground resonably priced. Each night there we were treated to wind gusts in the 40-50 mph area. Some severe rocking to be sure.
Misshap 2
DW was unaware of blind spot directly behind rig while I backed in and sheared off the fresh water drain valve and sidelight on a steel pole. Drained the fresh water tank promptly.
Managed to get lost beyond civilization in the Fallbrook hills attempting to locate my son's winery in the dark. He had to find us and escourt the last leg. GPS failed me that night.
Misshap 3
Shower door came loose from all the rough rides and almost came completely off. Then again the rough ride dislodged the bunk ladder and fell on none other than the DW's head. Ouch!
Overall managed 12.4 mpg in the old gal with plenty of power over hills. Then two days before the trek home we both tested positive for covid 19. Made the drive home a long one for sure. So overall a great experience but still learning. Now both recovering.

Everything inthe rig worked as designed and Verizon internet was on non stop the whole trip. A really nifty device to be sure and most areas around 30-50 Mbps.
Gas in Az around $3.50/gal then Ca $6. 00 along I5 . Can't wait to move. Made an offer on a place in Bullhead so might happend soon. Now comes cleanup and storage for awhile.

The end
Sounds like many first time trips. Leave something every time out. Hope you get to escape to the free world soon. My wife and I did many years ago. Our youngest daughter just escaped LA County a couple months ago.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 02:48 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Working on Ca escape plan..
Old 12-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Working on Ca escape plan..
Until then it looks like you are in a place with reasonable people and beautiful vistas. We lived in San Diego in the 70s and our by Palm Springs after. Last daughter just left Valencia (LA) county.