Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
:

Ok, here you go; next question.
The criteria is regional in nature. Winter storm warnings in AK are different from one in south Alabama, or central IL as you referenced.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
The criteria is regional in nature. Winter storm warnings in AK are different from one in south Alabama, or central IL as you referenced.
Ok; we can start another thread about why the name National Weather Service is a Big Lie. May explain why so many people (Trucks & RVS) are on driving on interstates and freeways despite Winter Storm Warnings.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:57 AM   #43

THOR #22586
Quote:
Ok; we can start another thread about why the name National Weather Service is a Big Lie. May explain why so many people (Trucks & RVS) are on driving on interstates and freeways despite Winter Storm Warnings.
Maybe because there are idiots on the road who either think they can handle anything or don't have the sense to check things like weather and road conditions before going someplace. Not sure why you think it's a "big lie" unless you don't understand what they do.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-27-2022, 05:46 AM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Maybe because there are idiots on the road who either think they can handle anything or don't have the sense to check things like weather and road conditions before going someplace. Not sure why you think it's a "big lie" unless you don't understand what they do.

I didn't say it was a big lie, just said maybe you could discuss on different thread why they named it National Weather Service referring to your Regional references. At any rate, I simply answered the thought questioned posed above and you asked for the National Weather Services definition which I provided.

If it would be okay, I should have left it at that. I am through on this topic on this thread out of respect for the OP and the Thor Forum National Site Admins; my apologies.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-27-2022, 12:00 PM   #45

THOR #22586
Quote:
I didn't say it was a big lie, just said maybe you could discuss on different thread why they named it National Weather Service referring to your Regional references. At any rate, I simply answered the thought questioned posed above and you asked for the National Weather Services definition which I provided.

If it would be okay, I should have left it at that. I am through on this topic on this thread out of respect for the OP and the Thor Forum National Site Admins; my apologies.
Sorry rough day yesterday. Yeah should have taken it to its own thread but threads seem to get distracted such as discussing leveling systems on a covid section. Maybe antibodies aren't as effective if you are not level.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #46

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
If my coach is above 40 degrees, I just run the heat pump with the generator turned on. The heat pump works great.

Paul
I use the heat pumps down to 32 degrees, and they work well

Lower than that they tend to freeze over as they don't defrost like a home unit

When the air flow decreases it is time for the Diesel Burner or space heaters if not on metered electric
Old 02-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #47
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Why don't we have little fires in the ac units on the roof to keep us cool
Because you still need electricity to push the air?

Using heat to cool things (like fridges and air conditioning) has been around since 1945. Lithium Bromide absorption units have been used in large buildings, ships and submarines where easy access to steam is available.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #48

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
squirrels or 12 volt fans
Old 02-28-2022, 09:32 PM   #49

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
squirrels or 12 volt fans
Squirrels; what a wonderful idea, my hamsters have been running the wheels for 2 1/2 years and I was trying to see if I could get them a break.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:47 AM   #50

THOR #6903
Filled up today with a fairly low tank and it was $511 and change

Whether you're buying hamster food, gasoline, electricity, natural gas or gasoline, it is going to cost more

Warm enough to need AC so added to the fuel burn

Heading to Yosemite in May and expecting over $5 dollar fuel

Certainly strange times
Old 03-01-2022, 03:59 AM   #51

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

Whether you're buying hamster food, gasoline, electricity, natural gas or gasoline, it is going to cost more

Certainly strange times
$511

It cost me $200 yesterday to top my off at full. I was surprised that the gas station allowed me to go to $150 before it stopped.

Oddly I filled up because I took my RV to a dealer today to get some windshield work done. I am hoping they keep it at least 6 months so I don't have the option to take a trip, but my luck I will have to pick it back up within a week or so. I need to find some of these crappy dealers I always read about

But I did commit $500/yr on Internet Services so I can use the RV more and not necessarily worry about where I may go or be. But gas is already over my budget and I don't plan ANY long trips anywhere any time soon.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:45 AM   #52

THOR #22586
Quote:

Certainly strange times
Not strange and was predicted. More and worse yet to come.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-01-2022, 11:00 PM   #53

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
$511

It cost me $200 yesterday to top my off at full. I was surprised that the gas station allowed me to go to $150 before it stopped.

Oddly I filled up because I took my RV to a dealer today to get some windshield work done. I am hoping they keep it at least 6 months so I don't have the option to take a trip, but my luck I will have to pick it back up within a week or so. I need to find some of these crappy dealers I always read about

But I did commit $500/yr on Internet Services so I can use the RV more and not necessarily worry about where I may go or be. But gas is already over my budget and I don't plan ANY long trips anywhere any time soon.
I figure gas here is 3.25 a gallon and will probably go to 5 dollars a gallon shortly but that will keep people out of the campgrounds so I can pick and choose. With the war happening I jumped out of the stock market so I don't lose any money. I told the wife I should have put everything into oil, I would have made a lot of money this week. I'm just going to camp as much as possible now that it's safer to go out and do things
Old 03-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #54

THOR #6903
We have a reservation near the park but most are booked solid

Most RV parks are collecting full payment in advance as well

Be interesting to see if higher fuel slows RV travel

The 60mm barrels reserve announcement is just a few days so basically nothing

Our plans are set as long as fuel is available
Old 03-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #55

THOR #22586
Quote:
We have a reservation near the park but most are booked solid

Most RV parks are collecting full payment in advance as well

Be interesting to see if higher fuel slows RV travel

The 60mm barrels reserve announcement is just a few days so basically nothing

Our plans are set as long as fuel is available
Fuel prices are just one of the visible inflation factors we see but a highly visible one. Look at food, clothing, everything and the increases. The factors causing the inflation will be in effect for at least a year, possibly 3, so get used to paying substantially more for everything. Anyone looking at financing anything will find financing "sticker shock" again. For those who forgot, and apparently this country is full of them, remember the carter inflation causes and we experienced interest rates well into the double digits. I don't think, and hope, it won't get that bad but since borrowing money has essentially been free for many years, the rise is going to squelch some spending.

For us we have the trip from AL out to AZ starting the end of this month. It's going to be expensive to fuel the RV and that may affect what we do this summer. The people who travel frequently on trips like us will feel the fuel pinch the greatest but everyone will be hit at the grocery store, clothing and of course increased RV park rates. True boondockers might fare OK once they "get there". Hope they won't need propane though. Priced that recently?? My bulk purchase for my home doubled from last year. For those math challenged, that'a a 100% inflation rate.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #56

THOR #6903
Quote:
Fuel prices are just one of the visible inflation factors we see but a highly visible one. Look at food, clothing, everything and the increases. The factors causing the inflation will be in effect for at least a year, possibly 3, so get used to paying substantially more for everything. Anyone looking at financing anything will find financing "sticker shock" again. For those who forgot, and apparently this country is full of them, remember the carter inflation causes and we experienced interest rates well into the double digits. I don't think, and hope, it won't get that bad but since borrowing money has essentially been free for many years, the rise is going to squelch some spending.

For us we have the trip from AL out to AZ starting the end of this month. It's going to be expensive to fuel the RV and that may affect what we do this summer. The people who travel frequently on trips like us will feel the fuel pinch the greatest but everyone will be hit at the grocery store, clothing and of course increased RV park rates. True boondockers might fare OK once they "get there". Hope they won't need propane though. Priced that recently?? My bulk purchase for my home doubled from last year. For those math challenged, that'a a 100% inflation rate.
Have a good friend that is a propane distributor. He says the steel burial tanks are double and almost a year back log.

Yep, your right on all of it. We probably will take shorter trips after the long one to save on fuel. I financed a house at 17% back in Jimmies reign of terror so know all about inflation
Old 03-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #57

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Bill,
I live in northern cali, diesel fuel hear is 5.39 a gallon.
Lucky us.
Terry
Ps. Costco was 4.79 if that helps you feel warm and fuzzy
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:19 PM   #58

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Bill,
Lucky us.
Terry
Thanks for making me feel great, kidding.

Luckily with the 150-gallon tank I should be able to fuel prior to entering and then on exiting CA

The overall cost increases sure are going to make it difficult for retirees and really everyone.

Our neighbor is a RV resort and their summer slots increased in price to $2300 without electricity and are booked so many are planning on not hitting the road in our area
Old 03-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #59

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Bill,
Lucky us.
Terry
In south AL diesel has hit $4 except for truck stops at mid $4. Regular gas at $3.50+- and I have no intention to go to California. I have 100g diesel so I'll fill in TX and should only have to put in some to get to AZ, NM and back to TX. I'll keep speed at 65 and should see upper 8s, maybe low 9s, mpg. Only nice thing about the omni was the mpg at 10s.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #60

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseR View Post
I have a 2019 Thor Four Winds. Bought it used, around 10,000 miles. Newbie RV'er here.

It's 0-30 degrees outside for my 5 day trip so I've been leaving propane on to help heat the house during the ride (and parked) and have the fridge on to keep things cold/frozen (set to auto so it's using propane as I have no shore power this trip at all anywhere).

I'm noticing that randomly the CHECK light will appear on my fridge. and it's no longer cooling. If I turn the fridge off/on again, then it's good for awhile but eventually the CHECK light comes on again.

Q1. Any idea why this is happening? I heard someone mention that it might be because of winds??? Can someone shed light?

Q2. Is it necessary to turn OFF the fridge before filling the rig up with gas? The fuel tank fill up is on the opposite side of the fridge, if that matters.

(Aside from that, things seems okay... I am learning that doing my first trip is a huge learning experience, driving through rain, snow, ice, and 12-35mph winds (with gusts up to 55mph one day resulting in my pulling over that night). The winds are worse than anything else, ugh, especially when they're steady between 15-25mph, it's a workout for my arms and hands.)

First of what will be tons of questions I'm sure....

Thanks
J
In freezing weather I do this.
You can switch to the internal tank while you go and fill the external one, the valve kit is easy to install and available on Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96EA0E07-779F-4238-8531-5726EBE8346E.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	36340