Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Florence AZ propane $5 gallon!
With gas food campsites we were at $5k month on a 4 month road trip.

This was done to avoid winter and camp.

Now we are selling montana and moving to NM.

Will travel only in nice weather and more local travel in around NM since perfect weather.

Trips to Montana in the summer.

Major future savings for us

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #62

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Good thinking.

alajeu
Old 03-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #63

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
[QUOTE=lwmcguire;336642]We have a reservation near the park but most are booked solid

Most RV parks are collecting full payment in advance as well

That has not been our experience. We just got home from a 2,000 mile trip during which we made about a half dozen changes in our reservations. ALL gave us a full refund unless it was within 24 hours in which case we lost one day. Most parks required only one day paid in advance. And none of the parks were full. Granted we weren’t in any “destination” locations - and it was the middle of winter - but it was generally easy to be flexible. And fun!
Old 03-02-2022, 11:30 PM   #64

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Bill,
I live in northern cali, diesel fuel hear is 5.39 a gallon.
Lucky us.
Terry
Ps. Costco was 4.79 if that helps you feel warm and fuzzy
We fill up at exit 33 in Oregon before entering the Peoples Republic Of California. Try to stay north and cross back if we do buy in Cali it is just enough to get back. BTW: Navy Corpsman FMF, Served with 3rd tanks, 1/4 , and the long gone 175mm self propelled.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:31 AM   #65

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Bill,
I live in northern cali, diesel fuel hear is 5.39 a gallon.
Lucky us.
Terry
Ps. Costco was 4.79 if that helps you feel warm and fuzzy
It's 3.85 here for diesel here if you're passing by
Old 03-03-2022, 03:45 AM   #66
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseR View Post
I have a 2019 Thor Four Winds. Bought it used, around 10,000 miles. Newbie RV'er here.

It's 0-30 degrees outside for my 5 day trip so I've been leaving propane on to help heat the house during the ride (and parked) and have the fridge on to keep things cold/frozen (set to auto so it's using propane as I have no shore power this trip at all anywhere).

I'm noticing that randomly the CHECK light will appear on my fridge. and it's no longer cooling. If I turn the fridge off/on again, then it's good for awhile but eventually the CHECK light comes on again.

Q1. Any idea why this is happening? I heard someone mention that it might be because of winds??? Can someone shed light?

Q2. Is it necessary to turn OFF the fridge before filling the rig up with gas? The fuel tank fill up is on the opposite side of the fridge, if that matters.

(Aside from that, things seems okay... I am learning that doing my first trip is a huge learning experience, driving through rain, snow, ice, and 12-35mph winds (with gusts up to 55mph one day resulting in my pulling over that night). The winds are worse than anything else, ugh, especially when they're steady between 15-25mph, it's a workout for my arms and hands.)

First of what will be tons of questions I'm sure....

Thanks
J
I know this thread is getting stale, but you do not have to turn anything off while getting your propane tank filled. Every time I get mine filled they turn the propane off at the tank prior to filling and back on when they finish.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:52 AM   #67

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I have been told that some of the answers given here should not be used by both Thor and Dometic Techs. Call them, especially Dometic or who ever made your fridge. They were very willing to talk to me.
There are two problems with cold weather use of a propane-absorption fridge: Possible gelling of the refrigerant, and reduction in propane pressure due to the cold. High altitude also impacts use. The only suggestion they gave me [out of several] that I am willing to share was to open the door of the fridge for about 5 minutes on the hour.
JC
Old 03-03-2022, 05:59 AM   #68

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
But if we drive 65 or under we can get 3 to 10 more miles per gallon
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote