Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2022, 09:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26070
On first RV trip... couple Q's

I have a 2019 Thor Four Winds. Bought it used, around 10,000 miles. Newbie RV'er here.

It's 0-30 degrees outside for my 5 day trip so I've been leaving propane on to help heat the house during the ride (and parked) and have the fridge on to keep things cold/frozen (set to auto so it's using propane as I have no shore power this trip at all anywhere).

I'm noticing that randomly the CHECK light will appear on my fridge. and it's no longer cooling. If I turn the fridge off/on again, then it's good for awhile but eventually the CHECK light comes on again.

Q1. Any idea why this is happening? I heard someone mention that it might be because of winds??? Can someone shed light?

Q2. Is it necessary to turn OFF the fridge before filling the rig up with gas? The fuel tank fill up is on the opposite side of the fridge, if that matters.

(Aside from that, things seems okay... I am learning that doing my first trip is a huge learning experience, driving through rain, snow, ice, and 12-35mph winds (with gusts up to 55mph one day resulting in my pulling over that night). The winds are worse than anything else, ugh, especially when they're steady between 15-25mph, it's a workout for my arms and hands.)

First of what will be tons of questions I'm sure....

Thanks
J

Old 02-22-2022, 09:22 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
If propane runs out or goes off this happens.
Turn refrigerator off and use stove ..if burner works put refrigerator back on
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
If it's been windy it will definitely blow out the pilot on the fridge. We've had the rush of air from a passing semi blow ours out before. I'd not fret over it going out and the check light coming on. We've even got a "Note / Reminder" to check the fridge light during stops for that vary reason.

We don't usually shut off the fridge while fueling unless we notice a spill on the ground during the approach to the pumps. Typically fumes from fuel hang low to the ground. We do however attempt to stick to pumps on the end of the island so as not to be parked between the pumps.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:55 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
When I travel in very cold climates, I wrap the exposed grey/black tank pipes to help prevent them from freezing. I have no exposed water lines, but if I did, they would be wrapped and possibly have a heating cord taped up against them to prevent freezing. You don't want them to freeze up. I also carry bottled water for drinking and toilet use. My coach does have a heat vent from the furnace to keep the water tank compartment from freezing. We went to Utah for a week in Dec. 2021 and the day time temp was 20 degrees with a night time temp of 9 degrees. We had snow twice during that week.

Paul
Old 02-23-2022, 01:41 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You could also run your generator to power the fridge while driving... which uses surprisingly little gasoline - usually under 1/2 gallon per hour. Just another option.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:46 AM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You could also run your generator to power the fridge while driving... which uses surprisingly little gasoline - usually under 1/2 gallon per hour. Just another option.
Gasoline for the generator is easier to get than propane, just food for thought. Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to be running a propane appliance while fueling the RV. Some locations like tunnels require them to be extinguished also. I know that people don't adhere to that every day, but if you are the one that causes the fire, it won't be difficult to prove or be pretty for you.

When the burner goes out while driving and doesn't relight, it could be a dirty burner tube. Check for mud daubers, rust, or other obstruction.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:46 PM   #7

THOR #26070
Appreciate the tips. Glad to know its likely just winds (the winds have been horrible for my entire trip). I keep the propane on not just for the fridge but also to heat the house too (was near 0 degrees outside most days)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:13 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Get a little Walmart 1500 watt electric heater and run your generator as needed to supplement heat. Those little heaters put out an amazing amount of heat for their size. Your furnace will eat through a tank of propane pretty quickly!
Old 02-24-2022, 06:28 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Congrats, you pick a good time to go camping, you don't have to worry about AC.

Do you have an inverter by any chance? I rewired the 120vac source to my propane fridge to supply that was on the Inverter circuit. So when we travel our fridge is always on Electric only. No generator required and no propane is on. We have never needed the propane heat while driving. When we are parked I do run the propane heat and fridge if no shorepower. We have 1500 watt heater but we may use it in conjunction with the propane heater if we have shore power.

If it is as cold as you say, you might consider putting all of your fridge items in a large cooler and store in basement below? Save the propane.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseR View Post
Appreciate the tips. Glad to know its likely just winds (the winds have been horrible for my entire trip). I keep the propane on not just for the fridge but also to heat the house too (was near 0 degrees outside most days)
Modern Norcold RV fridges do not have a pilot light, they are DSI. The fridge does need a stable flame surrounding the igniter tip. The flame of ionized gas lets the control computer know there is a stable flame and the flame has not blown out. If the flame goes out, the control module will start the ignition sequence with the DSI. It the flame is not reestablished after three pulses of the DSI, the computer will shut-off gas flow and turn-on the fault light (flashing gas and electric lights in my Norcold N641). Recycling the fridge control reestablishes the DSI's start sequence.

High altitude changes the mixture ratio of air and propane making the flame less stable. In fact, Norcold advises not to depend on the propane to cool the fridge id the coach is above 5,000 feet.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Get a little Walmart 1500 watt electric heater and run your generator as needed to supplement heat. Those little heaters put out an amazing amount of heat for their size. Your furnace will eat through a tank of propane pretty quickly!
Yes we did the same! Must have !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 02-24-2022, 08:12 PM   #12

THOR #26070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
High altitude changes the mixture ratio of air and propane making the flame less stable. In fact, Norcold advises not to depend on the propane to cool the fridge id the coach is above 5,000 feet.

Hmm. as part of my travel, I was going between 0-6800 feet elevation numerous times, so, that could also explain why it was going out along with the high wind gusts. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:07 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseR View Post
Hmm. as part of my travel, I was going between 0-6800 feet elevation numerous times, so, that could also explain why it was going out along with the high wind gusts. Thanks for the info.
From the Manual: To avoid these complications Norcold recommends you operate the refrigerator on A/C when at altitude above 5,000 ft above sea level.

The reason is your fridge's carburetor (yes it has a real carb) is set at or near sea level. As you increase in altitude there is less oxygen available in the air for combustion (the amount of fuel flow does not change with altitude). This lack of oxygen causes an rich flame front which is very unstable and susceptible to any air movement. You can adjust the air inlets on the carburetor to help some (there is such an fuel adjustment on most generators), but you cannot totally cure the problem, as you can only control the air flow and not adjust the fuel pressure or fuel volume which is really what is needed.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:38 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
From the Manual: To avoid these complications Norcold recommends you operate the refrigerator on A/C when at altitude above 5,000 ft above sea level.

The reason is your fridge's carburetor (yes it has a real carb) is set at or near sea level. As you increase in altitude there is less oxygen available in the air for combustion (the amount of fuel flow does not change with altitude). This lack of oxygen causes an rich flame front which is very unstable and susceptible to any air movement. You can adjust the air inlets on the carburetor to help some (there is such an fuel adjustment on most generators), but you cannot totally cure the problem, as you can only control the air flow and not adjust the fuel pressure or fuel volume which is really what is needed.

The refrigerator does not have a carburetor! It’s a simple flame/burner. It is affected by the air density for the reason you mention but it’s not a carburetor. The generator does though and you mention both.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #15

THOR #20220
Cummings service center said no need to ever adjust our generator..it should always work
Old 02-24-2022, 11:10 PM   #16

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The refrigerator does not have a carburetor! It’s a simple flame/burner. It is affected by the air density for the reason you mention but it’s not a carburetor. The generator does though and you mention both.
I guess it depends on where you got your physics degree. To me, a carburetor is a device for providing a correct mixture of a fuel and air to burning chamber. It doesn't have to be on an ICE.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:18 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Cummings service center said no need to ever adjust our generator..it should always work
My 2019 Onan 5500 came from factory with Altitude adjustment , I think 5,000 feet is limit. I always set it when going through New Mexico & Colorado. There is an option kit one can buy for other Onans. Maybe you have a newer model that auto adjust based on a built in altimeter?

Maybe Onan put Altitude Adjustment just in my unit because they new I would put in all of the 85 octane gas I could get
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-24-2022, 11:39 PM   #18

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Where are you? Where the Airport Windsock is a chain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-24_18-40-22.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	36259  
Old 02-25-2022, 12:07 AM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Right here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flame-adjustment.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	36262  
Old 02-25-2022, 03:26 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Right here is a photo
Nothing like a warm fire to keep your refrigerator ice kold man

The Engineer that sat down and figured that out had to be smoking something