Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2024, 05:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #32337
Flush water system that has Girard tankless heater

I have a brand new 2024 Chateau 24f. I need to flush the water system so we can use it. I’ve read my manual and watched some YouTube videos so I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, except for one thing. From what I’ve read and seen, you shouldn’t run the water through the water heater during the sanitation process. However, I cannot find a bypass for my tankless heater. I looked under the dinette seat and though there are hot and cold hose connectors there are no valves. Is turning the heater off all that is required to do the sanitation? Thanks for your help!

Old 04-21-2024, 07:16 PM   #2

Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #30039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
I have a brand new 2024 Chateau 24f. I need to flush the water system so we can use it. Iíve read my manual and watched some YouTube videos so I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, except for one thing. From what Iíve read and seen, you shouldnít run the water through the water heater during the sanitation process. However, I cannot find a bypass for my tankless heater. I looked under the dinette seat and though there are hot and cold hose connectors there are no valves. Is turning the heater off all that is required to do the sanitation? Thanks for your help!
No,bypass is required with a tankless water heater. Remember to remove the filter.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:42 PM   #3

THOR #32337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xred View Post
No,bypass is required with a tankless water heater. Remember to remove the filter.
Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but where would the filter be? The Thor manual indicates an aftermarket filter may be installed. The Girard manual just shows a small filter at the water inlet. I went to the Thor owners resource page also and it didnít have any different information.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but where would the filter be? The Thor manual indicates an aftermarket filter may be installed. The Girard manual just shows a small filter at the water inlet. I went to the Thor owners resource page also and it didnít have any different information.
Your RV may have a FW system filter; the WH does not.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:59 PM   #5

THOR #32337
Iím sorry, I donít know what you mean by ďFWĒ and ďWH.Ē
Old 04-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #6

THOR #30039
Quote:
Iím sorry, I donít know what you mean by ďFWĒ and ďWH.Ē
FW - fresh water

WH - water heater

Your coach has a in line fresh water filter. Mine is under my bathroom sink, in a big white housing. When winterizing or sanitizing itís a good idea to remove it or replace or both. I always replace mine.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:20 PM   #7

THOR #32337
No filters under my bathroom or kitchen sink (sorry for the blurry photo). But right now that problem goes on the back burner. While looking in the hatches on the outside of the camper, I opened one that apparently houses the electrical for the slide out and one of the indicators was flashing red. According to the key on the unit, one motor has a ďHall power short to ground,Ē whatever that is. Are Thors poorly built or what? I havenít even used it and if this short is something major, it will be the second time Iíve had to bring it back to the dealer for repair. I have a video of the panel if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34270CEF-3197-4FC8-B713-D861286B4BC4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	45874   Click image for larger version

Name:	650B4387-B7EF-49B0-8644-91FA8BFA8C11.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	45875  

Click image for larger version

Name:	75CAFEFC-5FF5-4BBB-98A6-D7D7E914F8D6.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	45876  
Old 04-21-2024, 10:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
No filters under my bathroom or kitchen sink (sorry for the blurry photo). But right now that problem goes on the back burner. While looking in the hatches on the outside of the camper, I opened one that apparently houses the electrical for the slide out and one of the indicators was flashing red. According to the key on the unit, one motor has a ďHall power short to ground,Ē whatever that is. Are Thors poorly built or what? I havenít even used it and if this short is something major, it will be the second time Iíve had to bring it back to the dealer for repair. I have a video of the panel if anyone is interested.
Does the slide work? That is a common false error on many Schwintek slide controllers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:14 PM   #9

THOR #30039
Yes that happens all the time on my unit too with the slide controller. If your unit is level just run it out and back in and I bet it clears that fault.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:24 AM   #10

THOR #32337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Does the slide work? That is a common false error on many Schwintek slide controllers.
It did when I extended it as it is now. I'll give it a try to see if it retracts. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2024, 10:25 AM   #11

THOR #32337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xred View Post
Yes that happens all the time on my unit too with the slide controller. If your unit is level just run it out and back in and I bet it clears that fault.
Thanks! I hope that is the case. I'll retract the slide and see what happens.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:54 AM   #12

THOR #30039
Quote:
Thanks! I hope that is the case. I'll retract the slide and see what happens.

Remember to hold the button for the slide for 5 seconds after the slide stops as per the instructions to make sure the sync is complete